Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Package turns up after refund

Options
  • 22-06-2020 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi all

I order something from Australia a few weeks before the big lockdown, after nothing for 3 months I got refunded by PayPal,

Now 6 weeks later it arrives and the seller was straight on to me looking for payment,

No what is the legal standing here, I'm not interested in what is the right thing to do currently, only what's legal,

I sourced a replacement locally so I don't want the item, it's expensive at over 300euro so i can't afford to pay for 2 items,

Item was bought on eBay

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

He will hopefully win a PayPal case against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

eiei0 wrote: »
    Hi all

I order something from Australia a few weeks before the big lockdown, after nothing for 3 months I got refunded by PayPal,

Now 6 weeks later it arrives and the seller was straight on to me looking for payment,

No what is the legal standing here, I'm not interested in what is the right thing to do currently, only what's legal,

I sourced a replacement locally so I don't want the item, it's expensive at over 300euro so i can't afford to pay for 2 items,

Item was bought on eBay

Return it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Offer to return it provided the seller pays the postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Hi all

Item was bought on eBay

Send it back. It's not yours and if you are not willing to pay for it you have no moral right to hold onto it. If they object tell them that they didn't fulfil the agreed delivery time so the order is no longer valid and the refund demonstrates that. Use the same postal system they did and tell them to expect it in three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Legally it is not yours and you need to return it.

Did you not think that the reason for the delay was a little pandemic called coronavirus?

This stopped air traffic.

Guess how parcels get from Australia to ireland?

Seller can reopen dispute with PayPal showing that item was delivered and decision will be reversed (I had a decision reversed last year)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Tell seller the truth and give him a formal note to sort the dispute with paypal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

How does PayPal get refund from seller?
    I'm in a dispute currently and just curious.
    Say the seller has emptied their PayPal account already?

To thine own self be true

I’d return it but seller has to pay postage. But there’s just one problem.....

An post are not delivering to Australia right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

How does PayPal get refund from seller?
    I'm in a dispute currently and just curious.
    Say the seller has emptied their PayPal account already?

Sometimes PayPal take the hit themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

It's technically not my item, If I was home when It was delivered I would have refused it, I ask the seller to cover return postage and he said ok, He might not be so happy when I tell him An Post is not delivering to Australia and It will be 100 euro to send it via Fed X or UPS,

• Advertisement

The posting embargo might not be for much longer. I live not too far from the border so was able to go post mine via Royal Mail instead.

It’s nice to be nice so stay in touch with them and they may ask you to post it via an post when things go back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Hi all

Item was bought on eBay

My understand is item needs be delivered within 90 days.
    I do not know about who pays return post...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

The posting embargo might not be for much longer. I live not too far from the border so was able to go post mine via Royal Mail instead.

Royal Mail never suspended posting to Australia , possibly because they had their own capacity , but they did warn of delays

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

We've started receiving packages FROM Australia through An Post again as of yesterday. Not sure of the other way round but they were waiting for weeks in Perth airport :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's technically not my item, If I was home when It was delivered I would have refused it, I ask the seller to cover return postage and he said ok, He might not be so happy when I tell him An Post is not delivering to Australia and It will be 100 euro to send it via Fed X or UPS,

Can you not give it to An Post and when they start delivering to Australia it'll go.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I’d return it but seller has to pay postage. But there’s just one problem.....

An post are not delivering to Australia right now.

This crowd are and reasonable too

https://www.parceldirect.ie/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0Mb3BRCaARIsAPSNGpUj9Uk04q8fvj1FByXjXXzUlx85DS1_jGinBw9ijQFfp63PUxMawQYaAgOWEALw_wcB

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Would have been cheaper than what I paid :(

Will remember for next time though. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Would have been cheaper than what I paid :(

Will remember for next time though. Thanks.

An Post were not posting to Canada . I used parcel direct and it was 3 times cheaper than An post . Door to door delivery in 10 days .

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Del2005 wrote: »
    Can you not give it to An Post and when they start delivering to Australia it'll go.

Won't be accepted at the post office. I suspect its too large to go in a postbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Was thinking about Royal Mail one of the lads in work lives up that way and could pop across, but as it's heavy it has to go parcelforce and is quiet expensive, I'll look into other options, and maybe ask the seller to source his own shipping that way he can not complain if it's either too expensive or takes ages,

• Advertisement

I had to use parcelforce. Parcel weighed just over 13kg and cost me stg£171. About stg12.88 per kg

If I’d only known about fed ex early last week I could have saved about 50 euro.

:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Post is been delivered to Australia now. I posted a parcel on 23rd March. It was in Dublin from the 24th March till the 10th June & arrived in Sydney on the 22nd June.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,147 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I've had that happen, order something, never shows up, weeks go by, company happy to send out order again, comes within few days, and then weeks late the missing first package arrives, I know by date and order number it's the first package. Never asked to pay for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Would it be possible for the seller to resell the item here for a similar price with you acting as repacker and poster?

Advertisement