Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carricknaghtan Bog for dogwalkers?

• 22-06-2020 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Hi!
    Planning to meet up with my mother once restrictions are lifted. She has three dogs and so do I and we're looking for somewhere where it's safe to bring them all for a walk. We'd like to be able to let them all off the lead to go crazy and enjoy each other's company. None of them are going to chase livestock or anything and two of them are quite elderly and sedate.
    Would Carricknaghtan bog near Athlone be suitable? It doesn't need to be scenic as long as there's no chance we'd be bothering anybody.
    When I say 'suitable' I mean is there public access, is it walkable, are there signs up about keeping dogs on leads? We'd be there on a weekday, early-ish. Would it be crowded?
    Thanks in advance for any help anybody can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

there does be sheep out there, keep your dogs on leashes,

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ceirseach

Saw this post by chance and tis long past being relevant, but there are no sheep near Carricknaugton Bog/Athlone.

The area is good for dog walking. You'll meet other dog walkers and turf cutters in the summer.

May be cattle in fields at access roads.

Look out for hares, buzzards and listen for cuckoo in April and larks in summer.

Advertisement