Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ping Pong table - not full sized

• 23-06-2020 1:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭

Thinking of making a ping pong table, not full size.

one that can be left in rain some times a bonus

Looking at you tube etc at the moment

loads of ideas ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8ApeLf1OHs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Great idea.

Possible issues:

- Too thin and it will sag at the edges
    - Too thick and it will be very heavy
    - Edges can get bashed, particularly if thin and square
    - Corners can be sharp, and get damaged

So I would consider adding another rail around the outside (underneath, obvs) to add support and maybe have it protrude a couple of mm to act as a bumper.

I recently discovered a thing called acetylized MDF which is guaranteed for 25 years in-ground and 50 years above ground. Haven't used it yet and dunno how good a bounce it gives vs ply though.

http://www.paneldepot.ie/sheet_mdf_tricoya.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Lumen wrote: »

I recently discovered a thing called acetylized MDF which is guaranteed for 25 years in-ground and 50 years above ground. Haven't used it yet and dunno how good a bounce it gives vs ply though.

http://www.paneldepot.ie/sheet_mdf_tricoya.html

Interesting, thanks for posting. Good looking website with detail on a range of products but of course missing the all important cost/price. Don't know what it is with Irish websites but price is a highly guarded secret that can only be obtained by directly contacting the company. Hate that and generally far less inclined to use a company that doesn't advertise their pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Interesting, thanks for posting. Good looking website with detail on a range of products but of course missing the all important cost/price. Don't know what it is with Irish websites but price is a highly guarded secret that can only be obtained by directly contacting the company. Hate that and generally far less inclined to use a company that doesn't advertise their pricing.

ouch

http://www.chilterntimber.co.uk/product/mdf-medite-tricoya-2440-x-1220mm/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

garv123 wrote: »

Ouch is right at £175 for an 18mm sheet! Actually I made a "temporary" ping pong table at the start of the Covid lockdown which got some great use during the fine weather so I would recommend it. I used what I had on hand- an 8x 4 sheet of 18mm (regular) MDF, which I painted with a floor paint. Unfortunately the paint didn't do a great job of making the table water resistant (I did cover with a tarp also). The table is undersize but doesn't affect playability. I made a "net" out of some scraps of thin MDF, ply and 2x1 batten- does the job. I'd say by the time the summer is through the table will be fit for firewood but it's given good entertainment for the whole family. I can't photo the actual table, it's under cover now as it's teeming rain here!

Ouch is right at £175 for an 18mm sheet!
    For comparison, 12mm Lloyd's Approved Marine Plywood is €85+VAT from Panel Despot.

I went down the plywood research rabbithole last week. Short version:

- WBP refers to the glue which is used in both "WBP" and marine ply and says nothing about the quality of the wood plys (plies?) themselves.
    - Marine ply is the same as WBP except there are no voids in the glue layer so it's more durable (apparently plywood disintegrates from the inside).
    - "Marine ply" from builders providers is not the same as marine ply used for boatbuilding (hence the "Lloyd's Approved" thing above).

w.r.t ping pong, I have seen 18mm suggested as the minimum depth for the playing surface. 12mm is quite flexy and would need a decent bit of framing underneath.

• Advertisement

Oh, and on the Tricoya MDF thing, I first came across it recently used in chicken coops.

I guess if you're building something small enough then the cost works out.

I've been planning to do this too, using normal plywood, painted for aesthetics,
    I'm going to use a full sheet, cut in half with hinges I made in work holding both together.

Im hoping to use an Aluminium profile H shape to support the table and attach it to a single sturdy leg in the middle, that I already have.
    So The mdf will lift off and go in the shed, while the rest can stay outside for most of the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

alternatively now that Decathlon are in town https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/ppt-130-indoor-outdoor-table-tennis-table-10-years-guarantee-en-s11649.html

(I know that that this isn't in the spirit of the DIY forum :) )

I looked into doing this as well after coming back from a French holiday where we spent most evenings playing table tennis, but I figured I'd need marine ply as it would be stored outside and the costs were starting to approach those of buying a proper table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

garv123 wrote: »
    I've been planning to do this too, using normal plywood, painted for aesthetics,
    I'm going to use a full sheet, cut in half with hinges I made in work holding both together.

Im hoping to use an Aluminium profile H shape to support the table and attach it to a single sturdy leg in the middle, that I already have.
    So The mdf will lift off and go in the shed, while the rest can stay outside for most of the summer.
    Summer 21? 20 looks like its gone :(

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

loyatemu wrote: »
    alternatively now that Decathlon are in town https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/ppt-130-indoor-outdoor-table-tennis-table-10-years-guarantee-en-s11649.html

(I know that that this isn't in the spirit of the DIY forum :) )

Burn the heretic! :D

I guess there are two ways of looking at this problem: either put a ping pong top over an existing dining table, or throw a tablecloth over the ping pong table. :)

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Burn the heretic! :D

I guess there are two ways of looking at this problem: either put a ping pong top over an existing dining table, or throw a tablecloth over the ping pong table. :)

3: eat on your lap!

Advertisement