Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic waste bin options in Limerick City

• 23-06-2020 9:10am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Having live in an apartment for 15 years where communal bins were provided, I now need to get bins sorted for our house. We’ve been using the PAYG bins for general rubbish and Mungret for the recyclables.

I’ve seen Mr. Binman and County Clean around. What are the best options for a small family. We don’t really need a glass bin as there’s no beer/wine bottles so basically a general bin and recyclable bin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Recycle Right are very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭sioda

+1 for recycle right good service 3 bin set up

Mc Love wrote: »
    Recycle Right are very good.

Always very good at collecting the bins, and put the bins back neat and tidy. Text reminder but they all do that too.

Compared to Mr.Binman there's always trash left on the road after they collect bins, and they never put the bins back especially out my way, they half leave them back. I've raised the issue with them before but nothing seems to have been done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

My wife and I have a very small rubbish requirement... And with 2 big dogs who eat all the scraps!!!, we have a very small amount of waste. I've toyed with the idea of Recycle right... OR Mr.Binmans "pay by pick" pricing structure BUT for now, I'm sticking with the auld "8 euro at the big bin"... I think I use it once every 6 weeks. My glass/can recycling is done at a local supermarket and my cardboard/plastic recycling is separated, which I store under our deck. I think I hit mungret once every 2 months.

All in all - it's costing us about 17 euro every 2 months.

But - It's not at all about the cost... It's just I can't bring myself to dragging 3 1/4 full bins in and out of our (Mid-Terrace) house every week or 2.

It works for us.

But yep, it aint for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

We're pay by weight with AES. Our landlord and neighbours had them in the place with initially rented in Limerick. Kept them when we moved.

We've glass, waste, food and recycling. Service charge is about 60 euro twice a year but we (couple) only pay about 2 euro per lift for waste every fortnight and just over a euro for food every fortnight (unless there's been a few grass cuttings). Recycling and glass free for now. They text the night before to remind you to pop the bin out.

Never had an issue with the binmen leaving the bin too far from where we put it, think there's only been one case where they left it in the middle of the path and not against our wall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Another vote for recycle right. They're excellent

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Thanks a million everyone, some great advice there.

I'll check recycle right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Recycle Right - €23.50 month - 3 bins - recycle and waste on alternate weeks and the compost goes every week. Text the night before as reminder - clean and efficient - handy where i am as they collect on a wed - so never have issues with bank holidays.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

And recycle right take the glass bin every week <3

Tree wrote: »
    And recycle right take the glass bin every week <3

Yeah very rarely do I have to visit the bottle bank

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Yes. Very rarely.

*coughs*

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Brutal customer service with Mr Binman. I phone them up to say my bin was not collected. The woman who answered just kept interrupting and talking over me as I spoke. I asked could I speak with out being interrupted, she said you go talk all you want with an attitude, she then interrupted me again and then cut me off as I spoke. Customer service 0/10 for Mr binman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

We have recycle right, 2 adults, 1 child, my only gripe with them is the glass bin they give us is very small but their smallest waste bin suits our needs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

We're with AES - 4 bins ( glass picked up every 3 months approx - I dont really use this as the gass recycling is very close to the house) - we have 2 kids and ourselves - I asked for and got a larger recycling bin , as this is filled most regularly. I could go 4 weeks on occasion without the waste bin ( smaller size) going out, and ditto with the food/green waste ( but i make sure food waste goes out each fortnight. text messaging night before is consistent.
    AES are very depandable, I had moved from Mr Binman previously ( price issue and Mr Binman would not provide the larger recyclables bin i wanted)
    We found we are recycling a whole lot more , so our waste bin weights are lower
    Our estate/street is about 50% aes , 30% Mr Binman and 20% recycle right

Whoever you go with, consder getting a larger volume recycling bin.

Advertisement