Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation and Property Moderation 'Biased'

Options
  • 23-06-2020 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113815092&postcount=31

The post above (#31) is by a moderator of the accomodation and property forum posting on that forum.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113807788&postcount=9
    The post above (#9) is by a user of the forum who was asked not to post again on the thread in question.

Both are of a piece (though if anything #31 is the more tendentious).
    This is indicative of a long running problem with this forum ; that it is 'landlord centric' despite the fact that more users are tenants than landlords.

Aggressive remedial action is needed as a groupthink has emerged and even formerly first rate mods like @Graham whose hard work is much appreciated are succumbing to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Looking at that thread, you're omitting one important element here - context.

The thread in question was created by a short term landlord who asked - politely - what their rights were with respect to a tenant they are afraid will breach their tenancy. Almost immediately they were met with a response that was (at best) unhelpful front he same user of the forum you highlighted above - immediately criticizing the OP for being a landlord without adding one iota of advice. And then immediately steered the conversation away from what the OP was asking and instead in line with their own particular bent. Not exactly constructive. The poster then got a "stay on topic" nudge from a mod which they decided not to obey, and the inevitable happened. It seems pretty clear cut to me.

The moderator's post not he other hand seemingly is a statement of fact - it's about as far from tendentious as a statement can be, so I'm not sure what the issue is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Even your assertion that the moderators post is a statement of fact is problematic and even if it were true (it isn't) the moderator's post is irrelevant to the landlord in question's problem.
    mike_ie wrote: »
    Looking at that thread, you're omitting one important element here - context.

The thread in question was created by a short term landlord who asked - politely - what their rights were with respect to a tenant they are afraid will breach their tenancy. Almost immediately they were met with a response that was (at best) unhelpful front he same user of the forum you highlighted above - immediately criticizing the OP for being a landlord without adding one iota of advice. And then immediately steered the conversation away from what the OP was asking and instead in line with their own particular bent. Not exactly constructive. The poster then got a "stay on topic" nudge from a mod which they decided not to obey, and the inevitable happened. It seems pretty clear cut to me.

The moderator's post not he other hand seemingly is a statement of fact - it's about as far from tendentious as a statement can be, so I'm not sure what the issue is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

for example the post below (intended as direct personal abuse) is met with a reminder to keep things civil:
    equivalent attacks on the generalised category of landlords have resulted in temporary bans.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113820698&postcount=75

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Ireland's property laws are pro-tenant. This is what the mod stated. Nobody, including the mod, said that this was a bad thing.

With respect to the mod's post, it came after suggestions that "landlords should take charge of controlling bad tenants". In order to quell such suggestions, the mod pointed out, correctly, that it was not the landlord's place to do so - tenants have rights, even bad tenants, and as such only changes to the legislation can do this.

I imagine you won't agree, and will continue to trawl up threads that support your belief that the forum as a whole is solely there to have the backs of profiteering landlords. But I also think you are ignoring the numerous threads advising tenants of their rights when it comes to disputes with landlords, or landlords not honouring the terms of rental etc. One of the reasons we introduced a tag system in A&P was to allow posters to have some say in delineating what kind of thread they were posting, because pretty much every landlord OP'd thread had people piling on accusing them of inheriting their assets, profiteering and so on, and many tenant OP'd threads had people jumping in either to pile on that they were being terrible tenants, or advising tenants to break the terms of lease, overhold, and so on.

I suspect your thread here, and your concurrent thread in DRP are not unrelated, so I'm not going to contue arguing this further.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement