Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

russian mp3 sites

• 23-06-2020 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

anyone remember therussian mp3 sites from circa 2005/2006.

i think the record companies allowed russian music to be sold cheaply but didnt envisage the internet and people from western world buying from them. so it was legal.

do these still exist and are they still legal.

im looking to ditch spotify and just buy individual albums

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

I remember the likes of Bearshare, Napster, eDonkey and Gnutella but I doubt any of these are still going though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

anyone remember therussian mp3 sites from circa 2005/2006.

i think the record companies allowed russian music to be sold cheaply but didnt envisage the internet and people from western world buying from them. so it was legal.

do these still exist and are they still legal.

im looking to ditch spotify and just buy individual albums

itunes and pick the mp3 format... if thats even still a thing

cant see the russian sites being active still and I would question their legality also, while it may have been legal in russia, buying them outside of russia i imagine was not

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

grayzer75 wrote: »
    I remember the likes of Bearshare, Napster, eDonkey and Gnutella but I doubt any of these are still going though.

these websites were all illegal. i am looking to pay for them legally

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

itunes and pick the mp3 format... if thats even still a thing

cant see the russian sites being active still and I would question their legality also, while it may have been legal in russia, buying them outside of russia i imagine was not

im fairly sure they were legal at the time. in my op, i think record companies did not forsee in 2000 when the licences was been granted that westerners would use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭xckjoo

im fairly sure they were legal at the time. in my op, i think record companies did not forsee in 2000 when the licences was been granted that westerners would use them.
    Fairly sure they were just illegal and making a quick buck from people that didn't know any better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

it was a copyright loophole in russian law, i think it was widely accepted that outside of russia you would be breaking copyright law

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No Piracy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement