Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to work after injury- light duty

Options
  • 23-06-2020 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭

I had quite a bad injury and off for a couple of months.

I feel like I could return shortly but may not be 100% physically able to do all the work that my role requires. This has happened in the past with colleagues and they were given lighter duties/less workload. Facilitated by their agreement with management and I willingly took on part of their workload as a good colleague.

I have informed my employer that I wish to return shortly and he requires a letter that I'm 100% fit as it's very busy.

What are my rights here? Can I insist on returning to light duties/limited workload if my doctor OKs this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

No you cannot insist on returning.

It’s done by mutual agreement.

Maybe get a letter from your go/consultant that states your fit to return on light duties for a time.

Bring this to your manager and say that you would like to return on light duties.

In some companies it’s hard to facilitate this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

_Brian wrote: »
    No you cannot insist on returning.

It’s done by mutual agreement.

Maybe get a letter from your go/consultant that states your fit to return on light duties for a time.

Bring this to your manager and say that you would like to return on light duties.

In some companies it’s hard to facilitate this though.

Got a note from the doctor today saying I can return for light duties.

Just wondering if seeing as they have facilitated previous employees in this would a precedent be set. Not my fault that they are busy now and I would be able to still do a lot of work in my current state.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Got a note from the doctor today saying I can return for light duties.

Just wondering if seeing as they have facilitated previous employees in this would a precedent be set. Not my fault that they are busy now and I would be able to still do a lot of work in my current state.

It all depends on the specifics of the case, the type of work etc.

I’d still say it’s not an entitlement, but mutual agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

While an employer should try to accommodate an employee wishing to return to work on lighter duties, the employer is not required to provide an entirely designate or create a different job to facilitate and employee. If you are unable to perform the functions of the job you used to do, and there is no other job for you in your place of work with lighter duties, then you may have to stay home until you are certified to return to full duties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

_Brian wrote: »
    It all depends on the specifics of the case, the type of work etc.

I’d still say it’s not an entitlement, but mutual agreement.

After doing some research he would have to make reasonable accommodation for me to return under disability provisions. The only reason he could not do this is if the cost would be prohibitive. I would not need anything costly in order for me to work.

I could do everything the job entails but I wouldn't be up to full pace for a while at least. Will have to pace myself. Hardly too much to ask when I was overworked for years in the role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭thefa

Out of interest, did you requesting going back to light duties go to your manager or HR and was it by email or by call?

Advertisement