Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Russell statue defaced overnight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Well done. You proved my point about the double standards on this issue. I criticise both, instead of attempting to absolve my favoured side of any responsibility for its connections to Fascists.

Buying arms from Facists isn't the same as being Facists tho...

Sinn Fein get beaten with the IRA stick the whole time(some times justly) but when Leo comes out against the Sean Russell Statue, its a bit rich considering his own parties history...

I think Leo had done a good job during his term in office, i don't think its fair to beat them with the Blueshirts the same way i don't feel its fair to beat Sinn Fein with the IRA stick every time...

But Leo mentioned history so its only fair to look at his parties history the same way he wants to look at Sean Russell's, in a limited view, focusing on something that can be spun a certain way

I'm not aligned to an specific party, I have voted FG, SF, Soc Dems, Labour & Greens in the past 6 years alone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

38154.jpg?b64lines=VU5ERVIgQVRUQUNLIEJZIENPTU1JRSBOQVpJUy4=

Commie Nazis are actually a thing, National Bolshevism.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Shows how ridiculous this whole statue thing is. Got to stage where its become a competition to see who can raise the ante to most absurd level.

Like that clown wanting to take down statues of Jesus.

This is Taliban, Chinese Red Guard, Brownshirts cr@p

Varadker should not be stoking it up, especially given that as far as I know only people to praise Nazis in Dáil were Gaelers, including a future party leader John A. Costello who stated that Blueshirts would be following the "Hitler shirts" into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Bonniedog wrote: »
    The IRA had a concentration camp for gays!!! Cant't wait to read your buke.

The Cubans did have camps for gays and murdered lots of gay people.

You recall the leftie demos about that don't you?

They were on site of IRA camp for gays in Crossmaglen :)

The association is Russell and the Nazis, do you understand that.

Cuba under Castro did indeed persecute gays among others.
    I haven't heard or read that they murdered lots of them as you say.

There were no anti Cuban protests on the basis of their persecution of gays that I'm aware of.

Varadkar has expressed a desire to have Russell's statue removed ; it is more likely to be young Fine Gael than any gay organisation.

No organisation is behind this imo, if an organisation does something like this they let people know it was them.

• Advertisement

There you go. Indeed some Dublin gay lefties got free or cheap holidays in Cuba at a time when all of that was going on.

And yes, they did murder gays - and anyone else who looked sideways at them. Lots of literature about the Castro gang.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭gibsmedat

But yet Che Guevera is worshipped among republican/far left types???

Are they just stupid idiots that dont know history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

gibsmedat wrote: »
    Republicans sweating this morning not knowing whether to condemn or congratulate.

The absolute state of Irish Republicanism in 2020.

Why what happened? Did SF, FF. FG disband?

Shows how ridiculous this whole statue thing is. Got to stage where its become a competition to see who can raise the ante to most absurd level.

Like that clown wanting to take down statues of Jesus.

This is Taliban, Chinese Red Guard, Brownshirts cr@p

Varadker should not be stoking it up, especially given that as far as I know only people to praise Nazis in Dáil were Gaelers, including a future party leader John A. Costello who stated that Blueshirts would be following the "Hitler shirts" into power.

We'll have statues of Gerry up before long to replace all the objectionable ones if Mary Lou keeps her word and puts some effort into forming a government.

There you go. Indeed some Dublin gay lefties got free or cheap holidays in Cuba at a time when all of that was going on.

And yes, they did murder gays - and anyone else who looked sideways at them. Lots of literature about the Castro gang.

Who got free holidays to Cuba, you seem very familiar with the situation.

• Advertisement

Maybe he was gay? That's the rainbow flag right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

imme wrote: »
    We'll have statues of Gerry up before long to replace all the objectionable ones if Mary Lou keeps her word and puts some effort into forming a government.

Not sure how well a statue of nordie Gerry ‘paedo protector’ Adams would be received down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

We'll have statues of Gerry up before long.

No statue for him until he admits he was in the IRA.

Who got free holidays to Cuba, you seem very familiar with the situation.

Was popular destination for stickies and CP in 70s and 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Effects wrote: »
    No statue for him until he admits he was in the IRA.

They can erect a statue depicting Gerry not being in the IRA. :D

How the f**ck he managed to keep slipping past provo security into all those army council meetings remains a mystery.

Bambi wrote: »

How the f**ck he managed to keep slipping past provo security into all those army council meetings remains a mystery.

Most clubs allow a member sign in for a guest to be fair ;)

Bowie wrote: »
    Most clubs allow a member sign in for a guest to be fair ;)

The same ‘guest’ turning up at every meeting would raise questions though. And guests typically wouldn’t be allowed full participation eg voting rights.

Is this where you tell us that he was a paid informer for the British. :D

Was popular destination for stickies and CP in 70s and 80s.

And all of these Workers Party and Communist Party members were gay, what are the chances.

If the entire membership of the Irish Communist Party in the 1980's was more than 50 people I'd be flabbergasted, and they were all gay, there could be entire universities formed to study this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Fake beard ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Nermal wrote: »
    It gives me such pleasure to quote from the Edward Colston thread:

I really couldn't care less about Russell's statue, in fact it might be better off moved as it gives the anti-Republican oddballs a sort of rallying point.

My problem is with the 'he was a collaborator/traitor' anglocentric take - there is an element within Irish society that is ashamed of our resistance to the British state and would like the rest of us to be too. They can get to fuck, Flanagan learned not to push that too far.

And all of these Workers Party and Communist Party members were gay, what are the chances.

If the entire membership of the Irish Communist Party in the 1980's was more than 50 people I'd be flabbergasted, and they were all gay, there could be entire universities formed to study this.

Does the word "some" as in "some Irish lefties" provide you with a clue?

I really couldn't care less about Russell's statue, in fact it might be better off moved as it gives the anti-Republican oddballs a sort of rallying point.

My problem is with the 'he was a collaborator/traitor' anglocentric take - there is an element within Irish society that is ashamed of our resistance to the British state and would like the rest of us to be too. They can get to fuck, Flanagan learned not to push that too far.

He was a collaborator in that he collaborated with the Nazis.
    Where are you getting Anglo centric from.

Does the word "some" as in "some Irish lefties" provide you with a clue?

Some, OK, one or two, how many of them were gay.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

He was a collaborator in that he collaborated with the Nazis.
    Where are you getting Anglo centric from.

When these oddballs cite 'collaboration' they're not speaking of teaming up to make an album. This is how they consider it.

Collaborationism is cooperation with the enemy against one's country of citizenship in wartime. The term is most often used to describe the cooperation of civilians with the occupying Axis Powers, especially Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy, and Imperial Japan, during World War II.

wikipedia.org/Collaborationism

We were not at war with Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Were German U-boats a common mode of transport for civilians in the 1940s?

Were German U-boats a common mode of transport for civilians in the 1940s?

Yes, they were the Uber of the 1940’s if the likes of Junkyard Tom are to believed. Anyone could hitch a ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Are most of this PC brigade not members of Sinn Fein?...how does this tally with defacing a statue of a republican? or do the New Sinn Fein members not understand what Sinn Fein used be about ie a United Ireland.

The same ‘guest’ turning up at every meeting would raise questions though. And guests typically wouldn’t be allowed full participation eg voting rights.

The winky face suggests I was being humorous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The one thing that the Statue smashers across the world have shown is that a specific why is not as important as the tearing it down.

They see national struggles as distractions, unless its Palestine.

Advertisement