Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Russell statue defaced overnight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

LuasSimon wrote: »
    ? or do the New Sinn Fein members not understand what Sinn Fein used be about ie a United Ireland.

This is more accurate than you'd think.

A lot of the under 30s and advisors in Parliaments would be closer to the Sticks than the Provisional movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

imme wrote: »
    Is this where you tell us that he was a paid informer for the British. :D

He wasn't but a lot of people he hired were :D

Interesting to note that Gerry and SF have not said a single solitary word about Sean Russells statue being defaced. It's actually in Mary Lous constituency and she's ignored it

If it was a Union Jack, they'd be up in arms. The magic Rainbow Flag has cowed them into silence. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Bambi wrote: »

Interesting to note that Gerry and SF have not said a single solitary word about Sean Russells statue being defaced. It's actually in Mary Lous constituency and she's ignored it

If it was a Union Jack, they'd be up in arms. The magic Rainbow Flag has cowed them into silence. :rolleyes:

They are hoping to fk it doesn't come to a vote on DCC :)

Might be one of the 54,876 reserved powers of the unelected city manager.

Don't think the Greens had to force a vote on DCC to take down the Dubs banner on Ha'penny Bridge because it might have made us look like a shower of knackers if some nice architects came over for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Just googled it to see...
    And members of Ógra Shinn Féin, who came to clean the statue, claim those responsible were wrong to target the monument.

One of the cleaners, Ciarán, told the Irish Mirror: "I suppose it was an act of vandalism but it was done out of a few misconceptions that people have about Sean Russell and my encouragement for the people who did this is to educate themselves a little bit about the history of Sean Russell and the true history of what happened rather than this alternative story that has taken place over the last couple of weeks.
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/protesters-told-educate-themselves-after-22240090

I mean I can see the outrage at the Minister for Justice wanting to put on a parade for the Black and Tans but this lad was actually working for the Irish cause by all accounts. It's ironic that the leader of a party born from fascism with other roots more in common with British collaboration is calling for it's removal based on Russell's association with Nazis. The man who referred to Belfast as overseas and addresses the nation with quotes from Netflix :rolleyes:

I taught it was tastefully done tbh

See no harm in leaving it defaced as it was?

Country needs more couler,statue are grim looking and that spike in dublin is well overdue a lick.of paint aswel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I might visit it tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I taught it was tastefully done tbh

See no harm in leaving it defaced as it was?

Country needs more couler,statue are grim looking and that spike in dublin is well overdue a lick.of paint aswel

Nah this is vandalism. As for the big pole on O'connell St. The sooner someone takes a consaw to that monstrosity the better.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Nah this is vandalism. As for the big pole on O'connell St. The sooner someone takes a consaw to that monstrosity the better.

Its pretty neat vandalism and adds to the statue imho(assume its a shout out of sorts to gay pride?)

While on subject of nazism,why dont we remove the papel cross in phoneix park,it commerates visit of someone,who was previously a member of nazi youth??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just to be clear Sean Russell was never a Nazi btw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Its pretty neat vandalism and adds to the statue imho(assume its a shout out of sorts to gay pride?)

While on subject of nazism,why dont we remove the papel cross in phoneix park,it commerates visit of someone,who was previously a member of nazi youth??

There were lots of Poles in the Hitler Youth :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    The sooner someone takes a consaw to that monstrosity the better.

Take a concrete saw to something made from steel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

That was Benedict. JP was in the resistance.
    It should be taken down for it's association with the Catholic Church IMO.

I’ve read a bit about Sean Russell and what I can say is he had a deep love of Ireland, something a lot of modern Irish politicians could learn from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

John Paul II was Polish. He helped Jewish people during the war. Germany invaded Poland, btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Bowie wrote: »
    It should be taken down for it's association with the Catholic Church IMO.

Lets not follow the crazed Anglos in their rush to Year Zero.

As for this statue, no time for the dissident IRA, and no time for the green haired Maoists.

A fight would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Fine Gael Leader Enda Kenny TD will pay tribute to the late Oliver J Flanagan when the former Fine Gael Laois/Offaly TD is honoured in his native Mountmellick this Thursday, October 27th.

Deputy Kenny will unveil a plaque in memory of Oliver J Flanagan at the Mountmellick courthouse and council civic offices on O’Moore Street.

https://archive.fo/Gyd7U#selection-583.0-587.140

Proof that FG loved their nazis and anti-semites?
    There is one thing that Germany did, and that was to rout the Jews out of their country. Until we rout the Jews out of this country it does not matter a hair's breadth what orders you make. Where the bees are there is the honey, and where the Jews are there is the money.

— Oliver Flanagan FG, Dáil Éireann, 9 July 1943

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Effects wrote: »
    Take a concrete saw to something made from steel?

Alright Mr Pedantic. You can cut steel with a consaw providing you have the correct blade. Obviously it's not going to work on the spire.

Would you like to back this one up please? Wasn’t aware that the German pope (in office 2005 to 2013) visited Ireland in 1979? Time traveller I suppose?

Just to be clear Sean Russell was never a Nazi btw

Just a Nazi sympathiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

No need for this. The problem with wanting statues torn down and defaced is that eventually the mob will come for your ones.

It starts with fringe political statues (from the mainstream point of view), then moves to mainstream issues (gains concensus) and then eventually spills over into defacing or removing of religious statues.
    While most of us are still in the reaction phase to our former 'mass religion', just wait til someone gets offended by Marian grottos and attempts to tear them down. Enter stage left, the domestic ethnic brigade, who are big fans, and there will be blood on the streets.
    And rightly so.

• Advertisement

Just a Nazi sympathiser.

Wouldn’t go that far

He was working off the principle of my enemy’s enemy is my friend.

He wanted the Brits out of the island and the Germans were prepared to assist.

Wouldn’t go that far

He wanted the Brits out of the island and the Germans were prepared to assist.

Of course you wouldn’t go that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Interesting to note that Gerry and SF have not said a single solitary word about Sean Russells statue being defaced.

The plinth has been painted in rainbow colours, it's hardly defaced, brightens it up a bit if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Wouldn’t go that far

He wanted the Brits out of the island and the Germans Nazis were prepared to assist.

Fixed that for you ^

And thankfully Britain and her Allies defeated the Nazis. Many Irish men joined the Allied effort too.

Fixed that for us :rolleyes:

And thankfully Britain and her Allies defeated the Nazis. Many Irish men joined the Allied effort too.

Sorry now but he wasn’t a Nazi - he was an Irish Republican looking to rid Ireland of the Brits

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Just a Nazi sympathiser.

? Half the country were. Maybe more. We'd just been practically sanctioned and blackmailed out of existence. For refusing to pay back annuities. A bit like the Haitian people who, unfortunately for them, still have the Americans and the French sucking their lifeblood.
    A country that loaned us weaponry to kill our own, then left us with those particular debts so that we could not meet our obligations at the Boundary Commission and so we lost our chance at a 29 county Free State.

You're so clever, in your safe ivory tower with a full belly and no threat of war.

Sorry now but he wasn’t a Nazi - he was an Irish Republican looking to rid Ireland of the Brits

Honest question - what do you think the Nazis would have done once the British were defeated in Ireland?

A lot of ppl need to actually read up on the history to see how bad the situation was

Honest question - what do you think the Nazis would have done once the British were defeated in Ireland?

Hmmm interesting question - installed a Berlin approved 32 county state run by the IRA

Fast forward 10 years or so, all island republic under Irish control

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Just leave the rainbow alphabet flag on the thing. Nobody will f**k with it ever again.
    And if they do, the Holy Woke War rage crusaders will give em what for up on the internet.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Advertisement