Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Russell statue defaced overnight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Erwin Lahousen,one of witness at neuemberg didnt regard him as a nazi sympathiser,thats enough for me anyway

That's not enough for the blue haired, non binary college students tho is it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

I would have joined the Allied armed forces and fought on the correct side like many Irish did.

Your grandfather might have lived through the famine.

So what , Europes been constantly at war with each other for centuries , many of the guns used in the 1916 rising were got from Germany aswell. The enemy of my enemy is my friend

You're actively ignoring their point. There was targeting of specific groups in society by the nazis, for a nation that had "souperism" and had people targeted because of their religion, the irony is lost on you? To join the guys targeting the Jews, that is utterly shameful and he is not a man deserving of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Non binary, is that when you email in your thesis instead of having it bound?

Just remember feelings are more important than facts to these people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Bowie wrote: »
    No you're confused. By all accounts Russell would deal with them to further the Irish cause.
    The blueshirts admired them and some in FG today admire the blueshirts, (Councilor O'Leary) and some in FG just didn't like Jews, (Oliver J. Flanagan) is all.

Not confused, but thanks for your concern, Matt.

Nice work getting your FG digs in while defending the indefensible.

Just remember feelings are more important than facts to these people

Facts? Says the lad with the time travelling pope. Are you for real or just here trolling? Do you have ANY self awareness?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

You're actively ignoring their point. There was targeting of specific groups in society by the nazis, for a nation that had "souperism" and had people targeted because of their religion, the irony is lost on you? To join the guys targeting the Jews, that is utterly shameful and he is not a man deserving of respect.

Irish people joined the british army . Do I have to list the crimes and atrocities they committed in Ireland alone. They specifically targeted Catholics , if I recall correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

There is no Nazi sympathy, that's in your mind. Violent Unionist/British sympathies are very real though despite the misery they've inflicted on the Irish population down through the generations.

No Nazi sympathy on here? so this whole Sean Russel helping the Nazi/statue thing is just an illusion, and all those on here who say our enemy's enemy is our friend (the Nazis) are just bluffing?

You especially wallow in the whole anti British thing, the misery, the 800 years, oh the torture of it all, hence Sean Russell & the Nazis might have been our saviours...but they failed.

I guess from your perspective (as a hardened IRA supporter) it was truly awful that Britain and her Allies were not defeated by the Nazis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

FG have a fascist history, Blueshirts, fought in the Spanish civil war ( badly, Thank God ), Deal with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Amazing how much Nazi/IRA sympathy there is on this thread, truly amazing in this day & age, specially with all the information that's available to us today. Maybe it's just the bravado of youth & the thrill of being controversial.

The Nazis and their collaborators were not heroes, and there should not be a statue to Sean Russell.

I missed that. Can you quote anyone being a Nazi sympathizer?
    Do not fool yourself on the IRA either. You might like to think they were on the wrong side of history but like FG being a SF splinter party and Collins a terrorist think before you go rewriting history to suit your poor modern day excuse for public representatives. If it were left up to FG we'd be bowing to the Queen and having Tan rallies ffs..

The Nazis and their collaborators were not heroes, agreed. What's your issue with the Sean Russell statue?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/sep/15/world.race

Do we have to wait for a statue of him to be put up before denouncing him? :pac:

lol, someone is shook

Facts? Says the lad with the time travelling pope. Are you for real or just here trolling? Do you have ANY self awareness?

Rattled :pac:

Its ok...you get a participation prize for your posts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

A blatant attempt to rewrite history. The world knew plenty by 1940. You would have us believe that Kristallnacht never happened or that Mein Kampt was never published, or Poland invaded by 1940.

Wannsee conference where decision to liquidate Jews was in 1942.

Of course their anti Semitism was known before then, but not sure anyone could have predicted the horrors to come.

BTW, left still celebrates Irishmen who fought under NKVD/Comintern command in Spain when the Stalinists had already murdered millions. And that was known, eg the artificial famine in the Ukraine.

Were Frank Ryan and the rest collaborators with Stalin? Indeed, Ryan might be one of rare band to have claims to have collaborated with the two worst monsters of the 20th century :)

statesaver wrote: »
    FG have a fascist history, Blueshirts, fought in the Spanish civil war ( badly, Thank God ), Deal with it

And the SF leader, a Nazi sympathiser, attempted to form an alliance with Nazi Germany. Deal with it.

It's completely defensible Wheeliebin. That's the point.

And the SF leader, a Nazi sympathiser, attempted to form an alliance with Nazi Germany. Deal with it.

Sean russell.wasnt SF leader to best my knowledge

Like i said who needs facts.......actually wasnt he previously condemned for seeking help.off soviet union?

It's completely defensible Wheeliebin. That's the point.

No idea what this means.

Don't forget the FF leader and the fledgling FG went one better and were fascists.
    In fact most of political Ireland either wanted support from them or wanted to be them ;)
    Which is worse?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

An alliance ? No he didn't. He's aim was an independent Irish Republic. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Who were Fine Gael fascists fighting for in the Spanish Civil War ? Democracy ? It wasn't democracy, ask Flanagan's daddy who disliked the ***s

• Advertisement

Sean russell.wasnt SF leader to best my knowledge

Like i said who needs facts.......actually wasnt he previously condemned for seeking help.off soviet union?

Ah, Mr Factoids is back. You were all for facts a few minutes ago, ahead of feelings. You must feel silly now. Maybe you can travel back in time and fix your Papal faux pas.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

West Brit offended by mention of Pope.

More at 11

Ah, Mr Factoids is back. You were all for facts a few minutes ago, ahead of feelings. You must feel silly now. Maybe you can travel back in time and fix your Papal faux pas.

Top tip, don't dismiss facts when trying to make a historical point. Did you not know Irish history or FG's past and present leanings?

:D

This isnt going well for you atal

I mean like,its known pope at time.collaberated with nazis??

Top tip, don't dismiss facts when trying to make a historical point.

Thanks Matt, in case you missed it, blazz tried to claim that the papal cross was to commemorate the German popes visit. That is factually incorrect. As I’m sure you are well aware. So maybe make that point to blazz.

:D

This isnt going well for you atal

I mean like,its known pope at time.collaberated with nazis??

Did you or did you not claim that the Phoenix Park papal cross, erected in 1979 commemorated the visit of the Hitler youth pope?

Simple yes or no please.

Irish people joined the british army . Do I have to list the crimes and atrocities they committed in Ireland alone. They specifically targeted Catholics , if I recall correctly

I literally referred to the targeting of Catholics... Basic summary, he sidled up to the very type of regime that committed atrocities here. They were actively engaging in targeting their own citizens and he knew it. Meanwhile the Allied war effort had no such goal, no desire to push for a superior race or any of that stuff. It was simply preventing an incredibly dangerous regime from dominating Europe.

Events that had occurred before WW2 included book burnings, boycotting of Jewish business owners, limiting the number of Jews in schools, sterilization of citizens with mental or physical disabilities, Nuremberg Race Laws, Kristallnacht and the closing of all Jewish businesses. That's excluding annexations etc. And your logic is, they're the enemy of my enemy so irregardless of what they do, it's fine....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The Nazis and their collaborators were not heroes, agreed. What's your issue with the Sean Russell statue?

My problem is that it's a statue to him, and he was involved with/ collaborated with the Nazis.

Too many questions about him and his dealings with his gas oven goose stepping mates to have a statue erected in his memory :mad:

statesaver wrote: »
    An alliance ? No he didn't. He's aim was an independent Irish Republic. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

So what term would you use for the agreement he sought with Nazi Germany? Or was he just visiting for the sights?

Doesn’t matter what his aim was, how was he hoping to achieve it? By doing a deal with the devil.

• Advertisement

Thread is pointless anyway. The statue will be gone from Fairview Park by the end of the summer.

Maybe SF can take it back up north with them and put it outside their headquarters.

Advertisement