Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Russell statue defaced overnight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I literally referred to the targeting of Catholics... Basic summary, he sidled up to the very type of regime that committed atrocities here. They were actively engaging in targeting their own citizens and he knew it. Meanwhile the Allied war effort had no such goal, no desire to push for a superior race or any of that stuff. It was simply preventing an incredibly dangerous regime from dominating Europe.

Events that had occurred before WW2 included book burnings, boycotting of Jewish business owners, limiting the number of Jews in schools, sterilization of citizens with mental or physical disabilities, Nuremberg Race Laws, Kristallnacht and the closing of all Jewish businesses. That's excluding annexations etc. And your logic is, they're the enemy of my enemy so irregardless of what they do, it's fine....

That was all war and fully justifiable in his eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Thread is pointless anyway. The statue will be gone from Fairview Park by the end of the summer.

Maybe SF can take it back up north with them and put it outside their headquarters.

Not with that LBGQCCTVD flag now plastered all up on it Rodney. You try and move that now, you'll be in for a serious woke $hitstorm

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    Not with that LBGQCCTVD flag now plastered all up on it Rodney. You try and move that now, you'll be in for a serious woke $hitstorm

The flag is gone already.

There will be a motion and a vote, it will be done legally, but it will be done. Best to resile yourselves to that.

Chrisht. That wont go down well in Woke Headquarters. It shouldn't anyways. I'd expect serious backlash at the defacement of that flag.

There will be a motion and a vote, it will be done legally, but it will be done. Best to resile yourselves to that.

Resile myself to what? I couldn't give a **** if you painted a star wars stormtrooper up on it

• Advertisement

Can we remove the papel cross and work to eradicate any/all signs of british rule here??

I like this idea,who is top party on dublin county council?

So you won’t be answering my question then? Sad that you can’t admit you were so clearly wrong, then you banging on about ‘facts’. :(

Resile myself to what? I couldn't give a **** if you painted a star wars stormtrooper up on it

To the fact that the statue will be removed. Glad you don’t care. Lots in here seem to.

To the fact that the statue will be removed. Glad you don’t care. Lots in here seem to.

At least one person deos anyway :D

At least one person deos anyway :D

Thanks mate. Will you answer my question now? If not, don’t bother quoting me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

Russell doesn’t appear to have been a proto-Quisling but comparisons with Petain are certainly valid. Petain a nationalist hero without any prior 'working arrangements' with the Germans reached an ‘accommodation’ with the Nazis. Given the undeniable record of collaboration it’s very unlikely Russell and his ilk would have had any great difficulty with a similar Vichy scenario had the Germans arrived in Ireland.
    No statues left of the Lion of Verdun.

• Advertisement

But sure just leave it there and make it a nice little community artwork zone for everybody, whats the problem? Everybody can have their say right on Russells backside or his feet or whatever. Wouldn't that be great. You can also remember this guy for whatever dastardly reason you want to remember him, and others can remember him for whatever other way they want to, y'know? That's how history works.

But sure just leave it there and make it a nice little community artwork zone for everybody, whats the problem? Everybody can have their say right on Russells backside or his feet or whatever. Wouldn't that be great. You can also remember this guy for whatever dastardly reason you want to remember him, and others can remember him for whatever other way they want to, y'know? That's how history works.

That USED to be how history worked, but all that changed with all the blm and revisionism of the last few weeks.

That USED to be how history worked, but all that changed with all the blm and revisionism of the last few weeks.

Don't mind that noise Rodney, all the people up in that will be on to the Global warming agenda once the winter hits again in a few weeks. And don't mind that $hite once that comes back either. Don't let all this flavour of the month hype crusades effect your own zone. Learn to look at it, not take a side and laugh at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I literally referred to the targeting of Catholics... Basic summary, he sidled up to the very type of regime that committed atrocities here. They were actively engaging in targeting their own citizens and he knew it. Meanwhile the Allied war effort had no such goal, no desire to push for a superior race or any of that stuff. It was simply preventing an incredibly dangerous regime from dominating Europe.

Events that had occurred before WW2 included book burnings, boycotting of Jewish business owners, limiting the number of Jews in schools, sterilization of citizens with mental or physical disabilities, Nuremberg Race Laws, Kristallnacht and the closing of all Jewish businesses. That's excluding annexations etc. And your logic is, they're the enemy of my enemy so irregardless of what they do, it's fine....

It didn't seem to bother the Yanks to much after war though , they took in all the Nazi scientists, who were war criminals brought them to America gave them jobs to design rockets that eventually helped Nasa get to the moon . Many of them scientists used slave labour and we're involved in the v2 rocket programme . They were rockets that were fired on London killing hundreds of innocent people. Should we now call for NASA to be shut down now as they used Nazis ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

gibsmedat wrote: »
    IMG-20200623-113713-040.jpg

What is the point?

Who is Sean Russell? Never heard of him and what park is the statute located in?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I didn't think I'd uptick ya but there you go.

I think many people are focusing on this statue also because so many in SF were vocal in supporting the statue smashers elsewhere.

I personally have great admiration for Sean Russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Do you realise he died in 1940 a year after the war started , most people didn't realise until the allies reached aushwitz and other concentration camps what the Nazis were a doing to the jews . It's not like today we're you've information at the click of your fingers .

The Nazis opened concentration camps as soon as Hitler got into power.
    They weren't health camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Don't really care about the statue either way. Have LoLz about Germany giving the 'RA any help; if Germany had succeeded, we'd be speaking German instead of english.

kravmaga wrote: »
    Who is Sean Russell? Never heard of him and what park is the statute located in?

Chief of Staff of the IRA, he died on board a Nazi submarine in 1940 on his way back to Ireland from Germany.

It is located in Fairview Park.

imme wrote: »

He already said "so what" in relation to Kristallnacht. He simply doesn't give a damn.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Don't really care about the statue either way. Have LoLz about Germany giving the 'RA any help; if Germany had succeeded, we'd be speaking German instead of english.

The naivety of the posters who think that Hitler would have helped facilitate an independent self governed 32 country Ireland is actually worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He already said "so what" in relation to Kristallnacht. He simply doesn't give a damn.

Your empathy and consideration is exceptional. Teach us.

Danzy wrote: »
    I didn't think I'd uptick ya but there you go.

I think many people are focusing on this statue also because so many in SF were vocal in supporting the statue smashers elsewhere.

I personally have great admiration for Sean Russell.

But this is the thing of it Danzy, how many people walk past that statue, day in and day out and not have a clue of the history of the man or even one semblance of a iota who he is or what he did? Its things like this that highlight the history, make people discuss him and let them look for themselves who he was or what he was up against. Sean Russell doesn't care if some statue of him gets painted. His story is written down, all his deeds are in the books(the right place to look for anyone who wants to acknowledge him)
    Daniel O'Connell sits up on a huge throne statue in the centre of Dublin, and this was the same gadge who was against the rebellion of 1798. Statues don't solidify the history just because some people want a monument. Actual history, words and deeds do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

imme wrote: »

Really I didn't know that ?? I thought they were pleasure resorts . the point I'm trying to make is Sean Russell contributed nothing to the Nazi war effort, not even a nail to construct them camps The way some of yer are going on youd swear he marched all the Jews into the gas chambers himself. There's major companies take are around today, Volkswagen, Bayer , Hugo boss etc look online, there's a good few of them all the infos there. They actively collaborated and helped the Nazi war machine . Why don't ye go after them ?

Really I didn't know that ?? I thought they were pleasure resorts . the point I'm trying to make is Sean Russell contributed nothing to the Nazi war effort, not even a nail to construct them camps The way some of yer are going on youd swear he marched all the Jews into the gas chambers himself. There's major companies take are around today, Volkswagen, Bayer , Hugo boss etc look online, there's a good few of them all the infos there. They actively collaborated and helped the Nazi war machine . Why don't ye go after them ?

Go after them:confused:

This thread is about the Sean Russell statue being defaced not about companies that were developed by/ or did business with the Nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Cant stomach Sinn Fein IRA and all their fellow travellers, apologists etc but this is the act of a twit. In a democracy we elect a government and appoint various agencies to decide what goes where. Once anyone offended can destroy whatever they like; its a free for all as there is always someone ready to be offended by whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I live a stones throw from fairview park and ive been in fairview park thousand of times in the 50years, from playing football as a kid to bring grandkids to the park. And to tell the truth I've never seen anybody visiting the statute, children would play around it but thats about it. In regards to the statute the man is long dead if he knew he was selling his soul for irelands cause, well he sold his soul for ireland. Its a statute, its history. It should be left alone. You can't change the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

It looks kinda nice, I wouldn't be arsed cleaning it

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Hadnt Hilter a plan to invade Ireland? Do ye think after taking Britain he would had handed us back the 6 Counties and leave us be? And why would a resistance group whose main aim was to rid Ireland from foreign control suddenly bend over for another shower of foreigners? They would be the first to be rounded up and shot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

You especially wallow in the whole anti British thing, the misery, the 800 years, oh the torture of it all, hence Sean Russell & the Nazis might have been our saviours...but they failed.

Is this a mad dream you had? I've never mentioned 800 years, the only time I've mentioned it is to point out that it's crypto-Unionist British empire fanboys like you that bring it up.
    I guess from your perspective (as a hardened IRA supporter) it was truly awful that Britain and her Allies were not defeated by the Nazis.

I'm very glad the Nazis were defeated, sitting here in comfort and safety over 70 years later. If I'd been around in the 1930's having just survived the Black and Tans war on the Irish people then I might have had a different attitude and might have saw an opportunity to rid Ireland of our tormentors. Unfinished business but we'll get there in the end.

Go you back to your Damn Busters DVDs and WWII comics and don't be upsetting yourself.

Advertisement