Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Russell statue defaced overnight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Thanks Matt, in case you missed it, blazz tried to claim that the papal cross was to commemorate the German popes visit. That is factually incorrect. As I’m sure you are well aware. So maybe make that point to blazz.

I was the first to pick up on that, you must have missed it there wheeliebin.
    You seem to have stumbled into a discussion with not much knowledge on the subject. You keep repeating the papal thing as a diversion, its working better each time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bowie wrote: »
    Just googled it to see...

Check Sinn Feins website, twitter feed, facebook page. Not a single word.

Same with Mary Lou, Gerry, all the other lads who are usually so vocal.

Then search Sinn Feins website for "Sean Russell"....nothing, like he never existed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Bambi wrote: »
    Check Sinn Feins website, twitter feed, facebook page. Not a single word.

Same with Mary Lou, Gerry, all the other lads who are usually so vocal.

Then search Sinn Feins website for "Sean Russell"....nothing, like he never existed. :)

You were on about the vandalism, member?
    Did you try 'sean Russell statue Sinn Fein'?
    I even posted a link quoting them :)
    Do they feature Michael Collins and Dev?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Bowie wrote: »
    I was the first to correct him, you must have missed it there wheeliebin.
    You seem to have stumbled into a discussion with not knowledge on the subject. You keep repeating the papal thing as a diversion, its working better each time :)

No clue who or what wheeliebin is.

You were previously Matt Barrett though I understand (the partner of Leo Varadkar for anyone not aware), so I don’t see why you would have a problem with me using that name?

He spoke about ‘facts’ but won’t acknowledge that he is clueless. Not a diversion, I just want him to admit he was wrong. Nice of you to stand up for him, I had assumed he was an adult and could answer for himself.

As for ‘stumbling into a discussion with not knowledge of the subject’ (sic), I am quite clear, more than you from the posts I have read.

I have no doubt you will talk about blueshirts again as a diversion, but you won’t see my defending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The naivety of the posters who think that Hitler would have helped facilitate an independent self governed 32 country Ireland is actually worrying.

We could put up a statue to them in Fairview Park.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    We could put up a statue to them in Fairview Park.

I’d prefer we had them tested to see if they are of sound mind. I have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

the_syco wrote: »
    Don't really care about the statue either way. Have LoLz about Germany giving the 'RA any help; if Germany had succeeded, we'd be speaking German instead of english.

lol yeah, As opposed to Gaelic, our actual indigenous language, a language destroyed by another gang of people trampling, culture destroying f**king c*nts

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Very tame compared to what's going on in other jurisdictions but I would assume that's to do with the chances of their being consequences here for said actions if they went too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Calhoun wrote: »
    Very tame compared to what's going on in other jurisdictions but I would assume that's to do with the chances of their being consequences here for said actions if they went too far.

Ie, the Antifa rich kids getting an iron bar to the shins.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Brightens up a clunky statue of a man in a concrete overcoat holding a crumpled hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Not sure if it's been posted, but it was completely cleaned earlier this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

imme wrote: »
    This thread is about the Sean Russell statue being defaced...

why bring up concentration camps so?

why bring up concentration camps so?

Or blueshirts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Better option would be to move it to somewhere where the indigenous population has a somewhat less absolutist appreciation of the fine arts.

As a matter of interest, isn't there some sort of monument/statue to little Steevie Gateley near to Luke Kelly's? If so, then how come it's never vandalised?

I hear that poor Luke got whitewashed again last night.

Obviously, committed connoisseurs of the fine arts need little sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

buried wrote: »
    lol yeah, As opposed to Gaelic, our actual indigenous language, a language destroyed by another gang of people trampling, culture destroying f**king c*nts

Probably typed on a laptop purchased in Currys PC World while wearing a Manchester United top and swilling down a can of Bass. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Face is definitely still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Funny as there was a protest there on Sunday 'protect our statues'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Nazi collaborator :rolleyes: absolute degenerates

EbQnfQdWoAMpaKO?format=jpg&name=medium
    img

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

Hrududu wrote: »
    Nice break for Luke Kelly

Just the one day off for Luke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

WrenBoy wrote: »
    They do it in America so its cool

To be fair the statue has been consistently defaced since long before any pulling down of statues in the USA or it being a big focus of news networks etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What's going on with the Luke Kelly statues?

I can't even think of any crackpot reason for targeting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Russell went abroad to seek arms and money to support Irelands struggle, he went to the main military powers at the time besides England. The Soviet Union, America and Germany. Russell didn't care a jot for their philosophies, aspirations or methods in their own wars he simply wanted to help further the Irish cause.

The man died for our country and without him and men and women like him we wouldn't have a country at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

osarusan wrote: »
    What's going on with the Luke Kelly statues?

I can't even think of any crackpot reason for targeting them?

Media reaction I'd presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

is it time for us to review our placenames and building names, particularly in Dublin where colonial/imperial relics remain everywhere.

Royal Dublin Society, Royal College of Surgeons etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

gourcuff wrote: »
    is it time for us to review our placenames and building names, particularly in Dublin where colonial/imperial relics remain everywhere.

Royal Dublin Society, Royal College of Surgeons etc..

I personally wouldn't change anything unless say the building were obsolete and being torn down, its the same with the statute in the park, whether we like it or not all these things are part of our history good or bad. If we start destroying these things will it leads us to forgetting who we are! were we came from! What we had to endure as a people! And were we're going as a nation and a people.

Kylta wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't change anything unless say the building were obsolete and being torn down, its the same with the statute in the park, whether we like it or not all these things are part of our history good or bad. If we start destroying these things will it leads us to forgetting who we are! were we came from! What we had to endure as a people! And were we're going as a nation and a people.

The whole point of tearing things down is to erase history, to break the idea of nation, and being a people.

It's year Zero and cultural revolution stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Russell went abroad to seek arms and money to support Irelands struggle, he went to the main military powers at the time besides England. The Soviet Union, America and Germany. Russell didn't care a jot for their philosophies, aspirations or methods in their own wars he simply wanted to help further the Irish cause.

The man died for our country and without him and men and women like him we wouldn't have a country at all.

No moral scruples at all then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Danzy wrote: »
    The whole point of tearing things down is to erase history, to break the idea of nation, and being a people.

It's year Zero and cultural revolution stuff.

But why would anybody want to destroy their history? You can either be proud or ashamed of your history but you can't change it. You can't remove it by pulling concrete from the ground either. And you can't paint over it. History is history. I say leave the past in the past and get on with the future. I truly believe that or history is who we are and it what makes us what we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Who erected his statue anyway?

National Graves Association. Which is not "national" in terms of being a state body. Indeed I don't think they really recognise the state.

• Advertisement

Nazi collaborator :rolleyes: absolute degenerates

EbQnfQdWoAMpaKO?format=jpg&name=medium
    img

I wouldn't be surprised if his statue came down in time. From a bourgeoisie left perspective, ie the modern left there would be issues there.

Advertisement