Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attic insulation: Spray foam / Earthwool

• 23-06-2020 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭

Just trying to weigh up the pros / cons of getting just earthwool down or spray foam too. Been quoted ~3500 all in, after grants for earthwool, spray foam, 12m of flooring down for storage, attic light, BER cert, and then hatch stairs and insulated hatch. To take out the sprayfoam it would come down to ~1650.

I've got more shopping around to do, but would people in general think that the sprayfoam on top is worth another 1850? The space is purely for storage, and will never be used as living space.

My gut instinct if the other quotes come in similar is to leave off the sprayfoam.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Not enough info ... house age / type and what are you looking to achieve?

Having said that ...

Either one or the other ... you need to decide where your thermal envelope is.

Btw, regardless of which option you choose, you might not see much benefit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

1. Not clear whats intended here
    2. not clear what is there at the moment
    3. not clear where the two things are going and what thickness
    4. re SF, you need to know what you are getting and what provision is being made for whatever ventilation is required as well as what type of foam you are being priced for.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Cheers both, 3 bed 1980s house, end of terrace. Currently nothing there at the moment, attic is a maze of joists and struts (wrong terms but it looks like a jungle gym up there), not suitable for anything other than storage. Purpose is mainly to improve the heat retention in the house but also to give us a usable storage space up there. In terms of the heat envelope, it's not going to be a lived in space, so I'm fine with that ending at the floor of the attic... but if it would be substantially better for the whole house to raise it to the top of the roof by spraying then I'm not going to cry about heating the storage space.

The SF on the quote is Foamlok open cell... but that means fairly little to me. The earthwool is 12" and then the joists raised to that level and boards laid on top for storage floor space. I didn't ask any questions about ventilation and should have, it's a quote from a decent company (I believe) so you'd hope it wouldn't be a cowboy job, but I'll definitely check with them and the others I get quotes from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I take a modular approach to technology. I like things to be easily disassembly and spray foam isn't.

Advertisement