Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mount TV on insulated stud wall

• 23-06-2020 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi guys, wondering if anybody has encountered this before. I would like to mount my TV on a stud wall. Happy enough with mounting the bracket to the studs etc. but where it gets tricky is that the wall is filled with foam insulation so cable concealment is gonna be a pain. Want to avoid external cables if I can and not a fan of trunking either

Has anybody ever used something like these to fish wires through foam insulation? Seems possible but a real pain I bet

Also there isn't a socket where the bracket will be unfortunately (or directly underneath), just 2 metres below and to the left so can't simply run a cable up from that to install a new socket. Considering using an extension lead instead but in an ideal world i'd install a socket which would then be covered by the bracket

Scratching my head a bit on this one so would appreciate any help

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I agree with you, surface mounted cables look awful! They can ruin the look of a room.

Anyway I spent many years working as an electrician, during this time I became particularly good at routing cables through stud walls. My secret weapon became the lid from 12mm min trunking. This would keep straight within a cavity, can be bent to shape, can go around corners when required, is readily available and very, very cheap. Due to the super low price (less than €4 for 3m) you don't care if you have to sacrifice it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

you wont be able to fish it through the foam.
    In addition you may damage the A/T layer, especially in a TF house

Its a bit more work but what I have done for clients with this requirement is just add on a new service slabbed/ skimmed and painted cavity outside the existing: works best in alcoves or where you have two changes of direction

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Golaco

Yeah I'd be inclined to agree re: fishing through the foam. This chap makes it look very simple but I have my doubts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6hHy--uJjg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Golaco wrote: »
    Yeah I'd be inclined to agree re: fishing through the foam. This chap makes it look very simple but I have my doubts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6hHy--uJjg

It depends on the foam type, how dense it is, how tightly packed it is, how far the cables are being fished etc. sometimes it is impossible, other times not.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Golaco

2011 wrote: »
    It depends on the foam type, how dense it is, how tightly packed it is, how far the cables are being fished etc. sometimes it is impossible, other times not.

True. Suppose I could give it a go and see how I get on. Worst case scenario I fill up the holes, paint them and pretend it never happened :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Golaco wrote: »
    Hi guys, wondering if anybody has encountered this before. I would like to mount my TV on a stud wall. Happy enough with mounting the bracket to the studs etc. but where it gets tricky is that the wall is filled with foam insulation so cable concealment is gonna be a pain. Want to avoid external cables if I can and not a fan of trunking either

Has anybody ever used something like these to fish wires through foam insulation? Seems possible but a real pain I bet

Also there isn't a socket where the bracket will be unfortunately (or directly underneath), just 2 metres below and to the left so can't simply run a cable up from that to install a new socket. Considering using an extension lead instead but in an ideal world i'd install a socket which would then be covered by the bracket

Scratching my head a bit on this one so would appreciate any help

Thanks!
    I've done a couple of installs (4) here in my home all seamless: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/

I've also used those rods for fishing but I've found some coaxial sattelite cable to be more manoeuvrable
    You could use a Stanley knife to cut out the plaster and fit a flexible PVC drain pipe hose inside followed by filling with Ronseal ready mixed filler then sanding smooth, the Ronseal filler is very workable.

If theres a block wall behind the plasterboard then I recommend using rigfix fixings for the bracket
    If it's just plasterboard then I recommend GripIt fixtures
    Fit a C13 power cable you can then convert it to figure 8 using a plug adapter; sort of future proofs your installation,
    Some televisions take a sattelite feed aswell as a terrestrial now too,
    So if you have some coaxial I'd run two feeds.

Advertisement