Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no plan B if the greens say No ?

Options
  • 23-06-2020 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

I can't understand why FG/FF don't have 8 independents on standby to get this government formation over and done with this Saturday. Getting 66% of the greens to say yes is a big ask, most of the younger Greens are in the Paul Murphy permanent opposition school of politics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Damian F wrote: »
    I can't understand why FG/FF don't have 8 independents on standby to get this government formation over and done with this Saturday. Getting 66% of the greens to say yes is a big ask, most of the younger Greens are in the Paul Murphy permanent opposition school of politics.

Independents are extremely flakey and beholden to their most hysterical and parochial of constituents. A majority comprised of parties is far better as the whip system can be imposed.

Independents really are a wasted vote. It’s a bloody miracle that Ross and his bunch stayed the course during the last government. Probably getting a dose of realpolitik opened their eyes to such concepts as budgets, compromise, not being able to do everything, utopia doesn’t exist etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Damian F wrote: »

Because they can't go on indefinitely talking to people trying to form a government.

And if they had 8 independents lined up why no go straight to them in the first place

Advertisement