Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did the estate agent enter without permission?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭touts

Allinall wrote: »
    Another that cannot read the OP.

Where did the OP mention a complaint?

Do you honestly believe the OP is asking this purely to satisfy curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Allinall

touts wrote: »
    Do you honestly believe the OP is asking this purely to satisfy curiosity?

Yes, why wouldn't I, as they have stated it on a number of occasions in the thread.

Are you calling them a liar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think you deliberately just make things up on here, since I have never seen you saying something that was correct.
    It's a little odd how the provision of inaccurate information goes unsanctioned on this forum despite the fact that moderator Graham is in fact extremely knowledgeable on the whole area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Completely wrong. OP still has a lease, therefore the same laws apply.

Was the lease not ended by the OP when they moved out and handed the keys back to the estate agent?

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think you deliberately just make things up on here, since I have never seen you saying something that was correct.

By moving out and handing back the keys the lease is over simple as that.

If someone has a lease with 6 months remaining on paper and just decides to move out and indicates to the LL they have moved out and hand back the keys do you expect the LL to leave the place empty for 6 months as there is some bit of paper with dates on it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Macytoby

By moving out and handing back the keys the lease is over simple as that.

If someone has a lease with 6 months remaining on paper and just decides to move out and indicates to the LL they have moved out and hand back the keys do you expect the LL to leave the place empty for 6 months as there is some bit of paper with dates on it?

If it’s paid for 6 months yes. In my case I’ve paid for 5 more days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Macytoby wrote: »
    If it’s paid for 6 months yes. In my case I’ve paid for 5 more days.

But you have no keys to access the place? What is the difference between the agent doing an inspection yesterday or in 6 days time?

You're entitled to "peaceful enjoyment" of the property for the duration of your lease but if you cannot possibly do so I don't see the problem.

Personally I wouldn't have permitted viewings while your lease was active, the complicating factor here is that you gave your keys to the agent. If they'd used their own it would have been clear cut that they were in the wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Macytoby

Caranica wrote: »
    But you have no keys to access the place? What is the difference between the agent doing an inspection yesterday or in 6 days time?

You're entitled to "peaceful enjoyment" of the property for the duration of your lease but if you cannot possibly do so I don't see the problem.

Personally I wouldn't have permitted viewings while your lease was active, the complicating factor here is that you gave your keys to the agent. If they'd used their own it would have been clear cut that they were in the wrong.

I still have a set of keys, I gave them a spare set so they could access for viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I still have a set of keys, I gave them a spare set so they could access for viewings.

To be fair, if that was included in the op, some of the replies that annoy you would not have been posted. Your op reads like you had abandoned the property before your lease ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭touts

Allinall wrote: »
    Yes, why wouldn't I, as they have stated it on a number of occasions in the thread.

Are you calling them a liar?

Nope. Just questioning a motivation they have not revealed. Not revealing something is not the same as being a liar.

On the other hand when it comes to Marxist agitators who seek to talk naive OPs into courses of actions that do not serve the interests of the OP but do serve the dissatisfaction and unrest objectives of the agitator's party. Well those individuals I have no hesitation calling liars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Since I don’t live there, I told them that they could let themselves in in order to show the apartment.
    Is this the case?
    Look at it another way; if there's any reason that they don't give you back your deposit, you can say that the place was fine before they let themselves in multiple times.

Also, the first quote above does seem to say that they could let themselves in as you don't live there anymore.

Another way to word that would be; you left the house, handed back the keys and thus voluntarily terminated the lease early.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

Perhaps its difficult to help you here. Taken at your word that is what you are seeking, a opinion as to whether someones actions were legal. Yet most people on a public forum are not qualified to give a legal opinion. In addition full facts are not in evidence, e.g. what you said, any correspondence etc. and their side. These would be needed to form a legal opinion.

Jaywalking is illegal in Ireland as is cycling on the pavement. So too may be agents assuming your permission to enter the premises on one day, and surrendering a set of keys, (and possibly advising them you have left?) can be extended to entering the empty premises on another day, to assess conditions.

That the result of this visit could benefit you, IE give you time to remedy any faults found, and issue a deposit refund quicker than would otherwise be possible. And benefit them by hopefully managing to lease the property quicker, is only pertinent if you were to seek remedy legally.

Certainly the spread of opinion shows that the issue is not back and white, and i would not not be surprised if even legal professionals had differing interpretations of what happened.

Advertisement