Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio door upgrade

Options
  • 23-06-2020 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭

Not exactly DIY but not a construction / planning project so I hope this is the right spot to get some input.

Built a classic family room (kitchen / dining and TV area) extension 13 years ago part of which was a uPVC framed window space which is 2,650mm wide X 2,000mm high with an outward opening classic double door in the middle per the photo below.

The door gets a lot of use (circa 30 - 50 opening and closings per day) and is now fairly shook. The lock mechanism and handles have been replaced and are now fairly rough plus the the main (left) door frame is a bit warped on top.

Rather than continuously patch it up I think it's time to upgrade to something more robust and perhaps better designed such as a sliding door or even a tilt and slide type door but whilst these look fairly cool I may be falling into a "grass is greener on the other side" type trap of my own making so I'm here looking for input from people who have experience of the different types of doors and their pro's and con's.

The pro for the standard double doors is that they are easy to operate and are (I'm guessing) cheaper than the sliding versions. The main con's are opening and closing both on a summers day is a bit convoluted and they don't stay open either easily or in a nice aesthetic manner a la the sliding doors.

Give the volume of use my sensible brain is saying stick with the double door design but my aesthetic brain is saying either the sliding or tilt and slide doors would be a real upgrade.

I'd therefore appreciate thoughts from anyone with experience of the various designs and suggestions on what is the best solution for my usage.

bhGocFc.jpg

Advertisement