Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Door gloss paint.

• 23-06-2020 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have about a dozen interior panel doors and their frames ready for finish coat..
    I would like a white gloss finish using water based paint.
    What paint should I use that will give me a good gloss finish ( and is easy to use..)
    About how many ltrs would I need to buy..
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭CaptainCoPilot

It depends on how glossy you want it but generally I find the more glossy the paint the more gloopy and difficult to apply it is.

Eggshell is popular for what you are doing, has a nice gloss to it but is workable too.

Colourtrend Eggshell is great I find, and its water based. A bit on the pricey side but you pay for what you get.

I would go with a 5 litre can for what you are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Another vote for Colourtrend Eggshell and yes it is expensive, but easy clean up. I still think Dulux Satinwood (oil based) is a great paint for doors and skirtings- good value, nice to use and wears well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

i used fleetwood satinwood on a lot of the woodwork

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭cosmowillie53

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    i used fleetwood satinwood on a lot of the woodwork

Thanks for above..
    A further question.
    Is there much of a difference (apart from price) between Fleetwood Advanced high gloss water based and Fleetwood stay white high gloss water based..
    I will be painting interior only.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

A water based gloss will not give you the sheen of an oil based. but it wont yellow whereas the oil based will. Never used the Stay White one but Fleetwood Advanced is the equal of Colourtrend. Your only difficulty is that the water based white glosses tend to drag with brush. An off white is much more forgiving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Get Johnstone's trade aqua gloss, it's excellent stuff and at 45 for 5l it's cheaper than Dulux. It was recommended to me by two painters. I just did the whole house, very good finish and application. Applied over oil based off white satinwood, pleased with finish after light sand and 2 coats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If it was me I would steer away from a gloss finish
    Been there done that and don’t like the finish

Agree with an off white

Have done all woodwork here in a french white satinwood finish and love it

Advertisement