Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small gap between floor and skirting board

• 23-06-2020 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi,

Have recently moved into a rented house. In the bedrooms, we have hardwood floors. It's a good house, seems well kept. There's a small gap between the floor and skirting board, possibly previously had carpet down.

Seen some fluff, and a some random spiders etc coming in and out of the gap, so the kids are not too happy with it.

Is there anything cheap and cheerful I can do to fill this in, that's safe and handy to do?

thanks in advance.

I'll grab some pics of it if needed.

Comments

Quarter round dowel and some pins is the way its usually covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

yeah was thinking that might be the easiest. thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I have the same issue on a renovated house (last year). There are visible gaps in the skirting board all around the house. I really don't like the idea of adding a dowel as it will take away from the fluidity of the floor. All the skirting boards are on laminate flooring. Is there any other solution? Would filling those gaps with caulk make sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Would filling those gaps with caulk make sense?
    No. The floor needs to be able to expand under the skirting.

Lumen wrote: »

Crap :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

The real crap starts when ye wifes ring skids under there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Stigura wrote: »
    The real crap starts when ye wifes ring skids under there ;)

Skirting board would be straight off :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Lumen wrote: »

Could the just nail the beading to the floor then and have it resting against the skirting?
    So its only secured to one item and eliminates the gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

The traditional solution is a 3/4" (19mm) quadrant moulding pinned to the skirting and painted, this is what I've done-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

The traditional solution is a 3/4" (19mm) quadrant moulding pinned to the skirting and painted, this is what I've done-

yip thats a neat job

I did a room the other day, similar
    after attaching the mould to the skirting, i put a small bead of caulk along the top of the mould to the skirting and painted over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    yip thats a neat job

I did a room the other day, similar
    after attaching the mould to the skirting, i put a small bead of caulk along the top of the mould to the skirting and painted over

Thanks, like skirting I scribed all internal corners and mitred external ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Just be sure to tell the Landlord!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Cheap, cheerful and if it's mostly about keeping stuff out, stopping draughts...then have a look at this video.

He used expanding foam tape. It might not look as pretty as other solutions but if it's not looks you're after but moreso closing the gap, could be worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Idioteque wrote: »
    Cheap, cheerful and if it's mostly about keeping stuff out, stopping draughts...then have a look at this video.

He used expanding foam tape. It might not look as pretty as other solutions but if it's not looks you're after but moreso closing the gap, could be worth a try.

White tape might work better.

He seems a bit ignorant of how to achieve air tightness. "What I should have done is sprayed expanding foam between the insulated wall and the floorboards before putting the skirting boards on". Eh, no!

Advertisement