Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 EXAM HELP

Options
  • 23-06-2020 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi All!

I am in the process of studying for my FE1 exams and, as I do not know anyone personally that has sat them I am turning here for advice/assistance!

I do not have a law degree (BSc and LLM) and I am currently enrolled to do 4 prep courses at Griffith college for Tort, Company, EU and Criminal Law and I hope to be ready to take these four exams in the Autumn sittings of the exams.

1. Do you think that one prep course is enough to pass 4 exams or should I be doing additional study/ give myself longer time?
    2. Can someone who does not have a background in law pass 4 exams first time around?
    3. What materials can I bring into the exam with me and where do I find these materials.
    4. I have the manuals and round hall nutshells for each course, should I be purchasing extra reading materials?

Any and all advice and information is welcomed!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You've come to the right place.
    After Hours will fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Don't you have to an in office training period?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Shonagoring123

Has anyone got any legislation for EU Fe1 ?

awsah wrote: »

1. Do you think that one prep course is enough to pass 4 exams or should I be doing additional study/ give myself longer time?
    But you have pass 8..

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Hi All!

I am in the process of studying for my FE1 exams and, as I do not know anyone personally that has sat them I am turning here for advice/assistance!

I do not have a law degree (BSc and LLM) and I am currently enrolled to do 4 prep courses at Griffith college for Tort, Company, EU and Criminal Law and I hope to be ready to take these four exams in the Autumn sittings of the exams.

2. Can someone who does not have a background in law pass 4 exams first time around?
    3. What materials can I bring into the exam with me and where do I find these materials.
    4. I have the manuals and round hall nutshells for each course, should I be purchasing extra reading materials?

Any and all advice and information is welcomed!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Really, really, really wrong place to put this but my 2c.
    Is it passable? yes, is it substantially harder for a non law graduate than a law graduate? Yes.
    As a law student I'm basically being taught how to pass the fe1.
    Think of it this way we do tort spread over 2 semesters as it comprises a fair amount of sub topics(also has the funniest cases).
    Can you pass them all first time around? It is possible but even law grads struggle with certain topics.
    Eu is often cited being particularly hard.
    Haven't done a prep course as I'm still studying but you'd be at a disadvantage to a law grad in terms of knowledge.
    Nutshells are grand as a recap, one of the heads of my dept wrote several of them. However they are basically a less stress more success recap and not comparable to other texts like mcmahon & binchy.
    A lot of our books come to €200+ per book and not many buy them as we get access to most through college.
    Do you mean like notes into the exam?
    If you mean so you can remember case names you can't you have to know it all like a college exam as far as I'm aware.

How long have you been studying and how competent are you in the subjects.

• Advertisement

Don't you have to an in office training period?

That's for blackhall, FE1 is like an entrance exam of sorts

But you have pass 8..

not in one sitting 8 in total

Mjolnir wrote: »
    not in one sitting 8 in total
    Yes no one does it in one sitting. Or no one i know anyway.

Actually most people don't do 4 in one sitting.

I know someone that attempted it but he's a massive masochist. Think he had to do a resit on 2.
    Most I know of do 3 or 4 at a time

I know someone that attempted it but he's a massive masochist. Think he had to do a resit on 2.

• Advertisement

still pretty impressive to get 6

still pretty impressive to get 6

Smart bloke, but he knew himself going in the chances were slim of getting all of them.
    Think it was more a bragging rights if he managed it kind of thing.
    I'd know a few that would of sat 4 failed one or two at a time. They are by no means easy

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Really, really, really wrong place to put this but my 2c.
    Is it passable? yes, is it substantially harder for a non law graduate than a law graduate? Yes.
    As a law student I'm basically being taught how to pass the fe1.
    Think of it this way we do tort spread over 2 semesters as it comprises a fair amount of sub topics(also has the funniest cases).
    Can you pass them all first time around? It is possible but even law grads struggle with certain topics.
    Eu is often cited being particularly hard.
    Haven't done a prep course as I'm still studying but you'd be at a disadvantage to a law grad in terms of knowledge.
    Nutshells are grand as a recap, one of the heads of my dept wrote several of them. However they are basically a less stress more success recap and not comparable to other texts like mcmahon & binchy.
    A lot of our books come to €200+ per book and not many buy them as we get access to most through college.
    Do you mean like notes into the exam?
    If you mean so you can remember case names you can't you have to know it all like a college exam as far as I'm aware.

How long have you been studying and how competent are you in the subjects.

Thank you for the information! Can I ask, what do you mean when you say really really wrong place to put this? Also I began studying in January of this year but only started teh prep course in May. They changed the rules this year, so you only have to pass 1, I would hate to register for 1 or 2 and feel like I was able to do more, I have not registered for the exams yet, though, and that is why I am looking for information. I just completed my LLM in 2019 and I got on very well in the course so I think I should be capable of passing these exams, just not sure if I have enough time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Well, having looked up FE1 exams to find out what they are I can confidently say:

EU8lEfrWsAAwAGq.jpg

Thank you for the information! Can I ask, what do you mean when you say really really wrong place to put this? Also I began studying in January of this year but only started teh prep course in May. They changed the rules this year, so you only have to pass 1, I would hate to register for 1 or 2 and feel like I was able to do more, I have not registered for the exams yet, though, and that is why I am looking for information. I just completed my LLM in 2019 and I got on very well in the course so I think I should be capable of passing these exams, just not sure if I have enough time.

After hours isn't the place for serious questions or help most people will just rip the piss.
    What was your LLM?
    Do you understand say all the aspects of the four you've chosen?
    I love law and am slightly mental like my mate but dunno if I'd attempt more than 4 at once, but most find four and four or three and five most manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Oh I am so new to this, I had never posted something before I did not know what I was in! thank you for the heads up! LLM was criminology and criminal justice and was in Belfast so doesn't really help me with these exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Oh I am so new to this, I had never posted something before I did not know what I was in! thank you for the heads up! LLM was criminology and criminal justice and was in Belfast so doesn't really help me with these exams.

No bothers just a heads up for when the usual after hours crowd come along
    No not particularly helpful, are you looking to go into practice?
    While a law subject its a fair difference to an L.L.B or BCL.
    There's a lot to tort I'm one of the few in my year that likes it but its golden rule is if your answer would make sense to the general public you're probably wrong ha.
    Tort and cont are relatively straight forward to a point.

Actually what law modules did you cover and where they based on English law or Irish because while a lot are similar we diverge on several key areas.

You are enrolled now. So think positive.

But you need to ask your course tutors ...they have changed things recently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement