Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guidance - sorting some issues with Letting Agency / Landlord

Options
  • 23-06-2020 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently renting a 2 bed apartment in South Dublin; two of us occupy the apartment. I've been living here since Jan 2018 with my flatmate living here only a few months (original flatmate/friend moved out with their GF).

We're renting from a landlord through an agency; i.e. all issues dealt with through the agency. Apartment was built in the 70s / 80s and is the only apartment in the block with single glazed windows (!). Mature, well-located area near town so rent is understandably high.

There are a number of issues that have been on my mind and have been bugging me, and I sort of wanted to get a bit of guidance on them from this forum (don't think Ive posted in a very long time been creeping for a while!).

Basically there are a couple of things in my mind, that are wrong with the apartment that I wanted to get the agency / landlord to address them. I wanted to see how best to approach them with this, given I've been there for more than 2 years and some issues have been in place since day 1. Some you could say are fundamental, while others are not:
    • Built in radiators don't work, portable ones offered instead in each room (electric)
    • Microwave and toaster don't work properly (toaster = arguably wear and tear)
    • A ring on hob does not work
    • 3 piece sofa suit is very old and dirty, we keep them covered under throws but they're so worn and dirty we don't use them. Have been since day 1
    • Bed base is old and worn, made of fabric, traps moisture / condensation and emits a musty odour as a result. Have cleaned this several times, its just old, looks like it is from the 90s, mattress is relatively new, base is old
    • A lot of the furniture in the apartment is not in use and in bad repair (a lot of clutter!). Much of it is listed on the inventory, why can't we get rid of? e.g. 4 side tables (why?) and about 4 lamps that are just not needed
    • Single glazed windows throughout the apartment (I don't expect this to be addressed but just illustrates the lack of care I feel the apartment has had over the years from the owner)

It is a substantial list, and I would understand if the landlord turned around and said "there is nothing wrong with XYZ" and would not replace them, but I sort of feel like there must be some way of addressing things on the list. How would you approach the agency, in a reasonable way yet firm way?

I'd be happy to chip in regarding replacing furniture, but is that fair? Should I even mention this?

Only reason some of these issues are only being brought up now is when I first moved in it was quite difficult to secure an apartment given the demand and lack of supply. We didn't raise the above issues with the agency as we didn't want to rock the boat. I definitely regret this.

They have been lethargic and unfriendly with regards to fixing broken showers, etc. that I've brought to their attention, and each year without fail the rent increases. I've kind of gotten to the point whereby I don't feel like I am getting the "apartment" we should be for the rent that we are paying, and that some of these issues, like the excess furniture and old couches etc., should be resolved. It doesn't help that the agency are not very friendly and don't really seem to care about us. They've the interests of the landlord in mind, completely understanable but we are the ones paying the rent (fully, on time, all the time by the way). I've also made sure that we have looked after the place, kept it clean and in good repair.

Am I being reasonable in what I am asking for to be replaced? Or am I expecting too much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Considering that more properties are now available, I'd move out into somewhere better. The LL doesn't sound like the worst but they don't seem to care much about the property; there are plenty of good LLs out there so now is a good time to switch, chances are this will force your LL into resolving these issues since they may find it harder to rent it in the current market.

I'd say these are the LL's responsibility to fix in a reasonable time frame (i.e. a 2-3 weeks):
    •Microwave and toaster don't work properly (toaster = arguably wear and tear)
    •A ring on hob does not work

I don't think the LL is obliged to fix these but I'm open to correction on that. I'd ask for the LL to remove them and replace them with your own (obviously bring them with you when you leave):
    •3 piece sofa suit is very old and dirty, we keep them covered under throws but they're so worn and dirty we don't use them. Have been since day 1
    •Bed base is old and worn, made of fabric, traps moisture / condensation and emits a musty odour as a result. Have cleaned this several times, its just old, looks like it is from the 90s, mattress is relatively new, base is old

I'd ask the LL to remove these but again I'm not sure if they're obliged to:
    •A lot of the furniture in the apartment is not in use and in bad repair (a lot of clutter!). Much of it is listed on the inventory, why can't we get rid of? e.g. 4 side tables (why?) and about 4 lamps that are just not needed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Of the items mentioned, the LL must provide working cooker and microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

MacDanger wrote: »
    Considering that more properties are now available, I'd move out into somewhere better. The LL doesn't sound like the worst but they don't seem to care much about the property; there are plenty of good LLs out there so now is a good time to switch, chances are this will force your LL into resolving these issues since they may find it harder to rent it in the current market.

Good point and something I considered, only issue is that I don't have anyone to move with. My current flatmate is just that, we're not friends per se (we do get along and I like living with them) but their appetite to move isn't the same as mine. And its quite hard to find a decent, affordable 1 bed apartment without doubling / adding a lot to the amount of rent I am paying now. So moving is hard unless someone I know is looking for a place (most are staying put for the near future).

The landlord has asked that we find somewhere to store the sofas for instance if we did get our own. Honestly not sure why, they are

How about offering to pay 50% of the furniture or so? Or is that a bit foolish to ask for?

Advertisement