Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree recommendation for housing estate

Options
  • 23-06-2020 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

need to replace a tree on the grass verge outside the house that was damaged

looking for suggestions

something not huge, some of the trees I feel in the estate on the verges are far too big for them, so looking for something probably that will get to about 3-4m high with a bit of colour in the summer, maybe dark red/plum

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Japanese maples are a nice plum colour but you need to research what type suits best. I think some prefer a little shade and a sheltered spot out of the wind.

Another nice idea would be an apple tree or another fruit tree. Nice blossoms in spring and fruit for any residents who want to pick them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what other trees are planted around the estate in the same context?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

what other trees are planted around the estate in the same context?

theres a mixed bag, some are far too big for the verges and the one its replacing was too big

I wouldnt know what type they are

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Japanese Maple would be too wide, no? I assume it would need a clear trunk and the leaves and branches start around 2m up so people can walk under it

Silver birch is a good idea. They can get tall but not wide. Liquid Amber is really nice which would give you autumn colour and aren't too big. You can see them here: https://goo.gl/maps/4FbvtJjypZCxi5Zx7

Whitebeam trees are nice. Probably a bit big but I am have seen some pruned really well to fit narrow residential grass verges. Prunus nigra could also look good. A lot of people seem to go for mountain ash/rowan but I'm not a huge fan of them. They have nice berries and aren't big but they always look like they're struggling to grow to me

Japanese Maple would be too wide, no? I assume it would need a clear trunk and the leaves and branches start around 2m up so people can walk under it

Silver birch is a good idea. They can get tall but not wide. Liquid Amber is really nice which would give you autumn colour and aren't too big. You can see them here: https://goo.gl/maps/4FbvtJjypZCxi5Zx7

Whitebeam trees are nice. Probably a bit big but I am have seen some pruned really well to fit narrow residential grass verges. Prunus nigra could also look good. A lot of people seem to go for mountain ash/rowan but I'm not a huge fan of them. They have nice berries and aren't big but they always look like they're struggling to grow to me
    the liquid amber looks ideal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Mountain ash, Sorbus Joseph Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

For some purple colour in the summer there are varieties of elder flower like this one in my own garden that I think are nice. This garden centre page on one of them has more information. The liquid amber is nice also but you only get the purple colour to the leaves in the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    need to replace a tree on the grass verge outside the house that was damaged

looking for suggestions

something not huge, some of the trees I feel in the estate on the verges are far too big for them, so looking for something probably that will get to about 3-4m high with a bit of colour in the summer, maybe dark red/plum

Thanks

Who manages the estate council or management company? They will be responsible for replacing the tree and they will most likely dig up whatever you plant when they do.

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    the liquid amber looks ideal
    I love liquid amber. The green in spring and summer is really nice and it goes dark orange/red in autumn. I was going to get my own but at the time I wasn't certain as I had only just heard of them and felt the leaf looked liked a marijuana leaf

Del2005 wrote: »
    Who manages the estate council or management company? They will be responsible for replacing the tree and they will most likely dig up whatever you plant when they do.

residents assoc

council just give a grant annually

a few trees had to be taken down 2yrs ago as they were too big and deemed a "risk"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

I'm interested in this topic too. Thinking of putting a tree at the front of our house to the side of the drive.
    What considerations are needed in relation to root growth? If any at all.
    I've a brand new drive done and I wouldn't want roots pushing it up!

I like the liquid amber too

Probably best to go to a garden centre with that. Take some pictures and measurements of your driveway in relation to the grass. Last year when we got a new tree, we showed a picture of the grass to the garden centre and they told us what types of trees would be best suited and where to plant it so that roots wouldn't be an issue and it would grow well. Now is probably the wrong time of year to plant a tree, though, wait until November. If you're in or near Cork, I would definitely recommend Hillside Nurseries in Glounthane

The patch of grass we have is relatively small as we got our driveway done up (compared to modern houses its big but its half what it was) and we were also conscious of the paving being affected. Liquid Amber was one of the trees they suggested to us so it must not have a root system that would be prone to damaging paving

There’s a couple of these on the street and area
    Any idea what it is?

Leaf is a dark burgundy now which looks well in between a load of green trees

Loads of those near me too :) I believe it is called a Crimson King Norway Maple. They grow into a nice shape on footpaths

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Loads of those near me too :) I believe it is called a Crimson King Norway Maple. They grow into a nice shape on footpaths

Yep but it also grows quite large.
    If you like purple leaves then a dark Malus or a purple leaved Birch (if you can find one) would be ideal.

Advertisement