Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest outdoor camera - what is usual install cost?

Options
  • 23-06-2020 6:55pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Would anyone know the average cost of getting one installed?

They are down to £154 on Anaxon (€185 in Currys) and Harvey Norman well over €200

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Have you an outside power socket? They only need power as they operate over Wifi and are not hardwired to your modem etc. Luckily I had power sockets installed where I wanted the cameras located so it was literally screw the camera mounting plate to the wall, plug in camera and you're up and running.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Tabby McTat

For a would-be thief, is it as simple as unplugging the camera? Or can you lock the plug...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Don't have any power plugs out the back (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

barrac wrote: »
    For a would-be thief, is it as simple as unplugging the camera? Or can you lock the plug...

My camera is fixed to the front of the house and the socket is behind the gate so they'd have to climb over the gate to get at the socket. While my outdoor socket has a padlock on the flap, if they really want to take the camera all they have to do is pull the camera off of the mounting plate (camera is magnetically attached to this plate), break the padlock and unplug it from the socket.

D.

Fair enough. Thought had occured to me that outdoor camera is only as good as how it's secured.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't think I'd bother paying someone to install it, it's really easy to install, all you need to do is run the cable to it, the cable is about the size of a USB cable and really long, personally I had a vent near where I wanted to put it so I just poped out the 2 vent covers, ran the cable, put a bit of silicon over where the cable was and job was done, if you have to drill a cable through the wall that would be a different job but all you'd need is the cable.

This video covers the basics

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Yes and no, once you buy the camera and register it to your account it's yours, if someone steals it it's useless to them https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9269698?hl=en

And I know someone might take it "for the craic" but this could be done with anything, best you can do is put it in a place that's awkward to get to and not overly visible.

Clareman wrote: »
    Yes and no, once you buy the camera and register it to your account it's yours, if someone steals it it's useless to them https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9269698?hl=en

And I know someone might take it "for the craic" but this could be done with anything, best you can do is put it in a place that's awkward to get to and not overly visible.

I'm more thinking if someone is looking to break in to your house, could they just unplug the camera very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s an easy install would not recommend an out door socket. Plug it in inside and bring the cable outside, either drill the wall. , through a ventilation duct or similar

I'm more thinking if someone is looking to break in to your house, could they just unplug the camera very easily.

The cameras will send you the last images they recorded so unless they are coming up behind the camera at least you should have images. I've heard the same argument about CCTV systems where people say that thieves can just steam the recorder. The way I look at it is that if someone really wants to break into your place they'll get in no matter what security you have in place but by putting up deterrents you make it more like that any opportunist thief will just keep looking for an easier option.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    The cameras will send you the last images they recorded so unless they are coming up behind the camera at least you should have images. I've heard the same argument about CCTV systems where people say that thieves can just steam the recorder. The way I look at it is that if someone really wants to break into your place they'll get in no matter what security you have in place but by putting up deterrents you make it more like that any opportunist thief will just keep looking for an easier option.

Can't argue with that logic in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm absolutely useless in regards to DIY so a neighbour who is the complete opposite of me in that regards ran a line off of whatever power was running into the hotpress upstairs. He essentially ran an extension socket to each rafter front and rear of the house. The camera's are installed under the rafter's and the power cable runs up into the rafter so there was no need for drilling or having to run the cable in through a vent.

He stated it was a pretty easy job.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I'm absolutely useless in regards to DIY so a neighbour who is the complete opposite of me in that regards ran a line off of whatever power was running into the hotpress upstairs. He essentially ran an extension socket to each rafter front and rear of the house. The camera's are installed under the rafter's and the power cable runs up into the rafter so there was no need for drilling or having to run the cable in through a vent.

He stated it was a pretty easy job.

See this is me, don't even have a drill (or a next door neigbour who could do it AFAIK).

See this is me, don't even have a drill (or a next door neigbour who could do it AFAIK).

Invest in a drill, nice cheap 1 for your first 1 will be the finest, in fact an Aldi/Lidl promotion will be fine as you'll get a year's warranty out of it. I'd imagine getting someone in would be at least €75 call out fee for about 30 minutes work at most.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

......or if the camera wasn’t plugged in they could simply cut the flex with a snips. Any electricians snips is more than sufficiently insulated for this task. I have cut many live cables myself in the course of my work.

Anyone than wants to steal one is unlikely to be discouraged just because it isn’t plugged in.

Advertisement