Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIT area roundabout

• 23-06-2020 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking for some information and pictures of what the area around LIT was like 25 or so years ago...I have heard that Brookville Avenue was split in 2 via the road in the below picture

517538.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

The 1995 Aerial map on http://map.geohive.ie/mobile.html might be what you are looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

No, it wasn't ever split in two.
    You drew around Brookville Avenue, please mark where you think it may have been dissected, I can remember a way through to the back of the Davin Arms (Lidl)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm looking for some information and pictures of what the area around LIT was like 25 or so years ago...I have heard that Brookville Avenue was split in 2 via the road in the below picture

517538.png

Brookville has always been laid out like that. Main road down the middle and the two side streets down the side. There used to be a shop half way down on the left heading to the Ennis road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

No, it wasn't ever split in two.
    You drew around Brookville Avenue, please mark where you think it may have been dissected, I can remember a way through to the back of the Davin Arms (Lidl)
    I think there's still a pedestrian walkway from Meadowsprings? It's been a while since I was out that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

adaminho wrote: »
    Brookville has always been laid out like that. Main road down the middle and the two side streets down the side. There used to be a shop half way down on the left heading to the Ennis road.

I was led to believe that the main road was only added when the roundabout was built. And the construction led to residents association having to be broken up

• Advertisement

I was led to believe that the main road was only added when the roundabout was built. And the construction led to residents association having to be broken up

No.

adaminho wrote: »
    I think there's still a pedestrian walkway from Meadowsprings? It's been a while since I was out that direction.

No, All blocked off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Brookville is identical to when it was first built.

The major changes are on the LIT side. From the one story college in the 80s to the campus that is there now. Meadow springs at the bottom of Brookville and Coleraine over at the end of Brookville gardens are the only main estate changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,272 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nope, that road was there since at least the 1970s, the roundabout is there since the early 1990s when LIT got a major overhaul/expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

Where the roundabout is now, used to be a green with the old Cratloe road joining the link road as a T junction. Played many a game of rugby, soccer and rounders there. Gardens Vs Avenue. It was a nightmare playing from top to bottom as if you took a shot and the goalie didnt stop it, you would be running half way down the hill to get the ball.

Brookville Avenue was always there way it is now by the way. Only change was T-Junction changed to Roundabout when LIT was developed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement