Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dummy- how do I know what screws/plugs to use?

• 24-06-2020 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I feel so frustrated with this and I just don't get it- how do you know which drill bit/screw/plug to use together? I bought a house and have loads of things I want to drill into a (masonry) wall but I just can't figure out why the screws are sold separately to the rawlplugs and then there's no mention of drill bit size. Are you just supposed to guess or get a feel for it? If I'm putting shelves up, I want them to be secure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

First piece of advice - ditch the plugs that came with whatever you are trying to hang. I've never seen a plug that came in the box with something that is any better than useless. When you are buying screws for hanging, buy proper rawl plugs while you're at it. They are dirt cheap, easier to work with, and far, far stronger.

Generally speaking, rawl plugs are color coded:
    red - 6mm drill bit
    green - 6.5mm drill bit
    brown - 7mm drill bit

There are also blue rawl plugs that are 10mm I believe.. But either way, check the box they come in to make sure of the size, or even the plug itself - sometimes the size is molded into the plastic.

There are plenty of websites online that will give you tables of screws-rawlplugs-weight comparisons, but common sense is probably your best guideline here. Unless you're hanging something like a television, green or brown rawlplugs should do everything you need and more. The screws should be reasonably tight, but not sweating-to-turn-the-screwdriver tight, and there's no advantage to having massively long screws if your rawlplugs are of a set length.

Pretty concise explanation here, should you find it useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Woodies website actually has a decent HOW TO section, complete with videos.
    Click on TIPS & ADVICE at the top right of their website, then select from list on left.

https://www.woodies.ie/tips-n-advice/how-to-drill-and-fix-to-a-solid-wall-new/

Something people do is not drill the hole deep enough for the screw,
    Its deep enough for the plug but not for the screw so push the screw in to check before you put the plug in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Something people do is not drill the hole deep enough for the screw,
    Its deep enough for the plug but not for the screw so push the screw in to check before you put the plug in!

If you have a load of holes to drill, it can be useful to mark on the drill bit the depth that you need. Wrap electrical or masking tape around the drill bit just below the depth that you need to drill. Then when you're drilling you just keep going till you reach the masking tape and you know you've gone deep enough.

I find this especially useful for masonry where you might need a bit more push to get the depth you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Also, at risk of pointing out the obvious, you don’t want to hit any pipe work or electrical. Any cabling in the wall will be (or at least should be) run vertically or horizontally. You should be fine as long as you’re not drilling directly above light switches or sockets, or between two sockets on an obvious run. If I’m doubt, buy a cable finder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement