Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilbeggan, Co. Westmeath

Options
  • 24-06-2020 5:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭

Hello

We are basically priced out of Dublin

We are checking out kilbeggan in westmeath and possibly commute to Dublin

We have drove through it for a nosey a few times and was impressed

Is there anything I should know about the area? Are there good transport links to Dublin?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don't know the area that well but I do know the buses going through there because I've used them all over the years.

There's Citylink, Bus Eireann and Kearns Transport that have stops in Kilbeggan and drop offs at Heuston (they do go on in to city centre as well). It's probably a 90 minute journey...maybe a touch more

To get the train, you'd have to drive to Tullamore, which is 10-15 mins away. Train from there is an hour, give or take

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I don't know the area that well but I do know the buses going through there because I've used them all over the years.

There's Citylink, Bus Eireann and Kearns Transport that have stops in Kilbeggan and drop offs at Heuston (they do go on in to city centre as well). It's probably a 90 minute journey...maybe a touch more

To get the train, you'd have to drive to Tullamore, which is 10-15 mins away. Train from there is an hour, give or take

Thank you so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

It's reasonably quiet, there's no supermarket, locals can be quite insular, you can't fart without everyone knowing about it. Typical Irish village tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

My grandparents were from there.
    We used to spend the summers down there until college.
    Lovely place to be, but nothing to do.
    Dont know if thats changed but I remember thinking I would hate to actually live there full time.
    But you would be spending 4 hours a day commute minimum so you might not want anything to do when you get home.
    Commuting is a curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kilbegganchoc

Its a great village . right in centre of Ireland , 1 hour from Dublin,Galway .
    great schools , moved here 20+ years ago , love it , great place to rare kids ,safe and relatively crime free. has 4 shops in village , Londis ,Centra, Mace and a corner shop . nearly everything you want can be got in the village , great broadband ,cheap houses compared to Dublin,home to Kilbeggan Distillery,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I love Kilbeggan, but if you're commuting to Dublin unless it's straight off the M50 it's going to be a pain, so definitely keep that in mind.

Advertisement