Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A job for a foreign teenager.

Options
  • 24-06-2020 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello to you all,

I've been for a few months with this idea in my mind. I would love to accomplish it, but I don't know how 'possible' it is. Here's the question: could I, a 17-year-old Spanish teenager travel to Ireland (probabbly Dublin, but not necessary) for the Summer and get a job there, with which I could pay the trip (travelling, residence, etc)? If so, what paperwork would I have to do and which jobs do you reccomend? My English level will be B2 First (FCE) plus one year of C1 Advanced (CAE), so I don't think language would be a problem. In Spain you hardly ever find people my age working, but I've heard in those countries it's different.

I would absolutely love it if someone could answer my questions.

P.S. Obviously I'm not referring to this year, with all the Covid situation, but the next one

Comments

It would be possible, but I wouldn't risk coming over here without your job and your accommodation arranged.

The majority of 17 year olds that work are in the hospitality or retail sectors. These have been badly hit by coronavirus and it's hard to say if there will be work available next year. This site is a good source to find out about working conditions here: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/starting_work_and_changing_job/young_people_at_work/

Accommodation is also difficult to find in Dublin. You'll be best off looking for shared accommodation with other young people.

Unfortunately I can't help you with info on what you legally need in place to start working, as I've never had to go through the process. It would be worth checking to make sure you don't need a PPSN (our version of a national ID or social security number), and to check in advance what tax laws apply to you (our tax office is called the revenue, here's the website: https://www.revenue.ie/en/Home.aspx).

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

There are some companies that hire entry level staff with languages these jobs are normally customer service related, it's a good option if your looking to take a year out and meet new people from different countries etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

There are some companies that hire entry level staff with languages these jobs are normally customer service related, it's a good option if your looking to take a year out and meet new people from different countries etc

Call centre work? Voxpro and Abtran would be big in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

You will have a few initial expenses:

* Flight to Dublin
    * Rent and deposit on an apartment or room (deposit is typically one months rent)
    * Food and bills

Some problems I foresee:

* Finding a room or apartment will be very difficult
    * Finding a job will be tough, although I assume you have a greater chance of getting a Spanish speaking call centre job

Someone your age needs the apartment and job set up before you come over. You're too young to be here on your own without both of these things. I know you may feel mature but (sorry) when you're 17 you really have no idea how naive and innocent you are. This could put you in some danger.

My advice is do it, but wait a few more years until you've got enough survival money together and have figured out a way to have accommodation before you come over.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,069 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Au pair might work. Accomodation provided. Can you cook? Of course you can, you're Spanish! :pac:

Watch out for exploitation though, get everything in writing and know your rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭vikings2012

What kind of work are you hoping to secure ?

Would you be open to moving outside Dublin?

There are many jobs in agriculture - fruit picking, farm working, fishing etc that pay well.

The above jobs tend to be in rural Ireland though. Accommodation in rural Ireland is cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Carlos F

I'd prefer a 'city' job, involving social skills to practice a bit of English Speaking instead of manual labour, but I can always think of different options.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,069 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Something like a kitchen porter might do, as a place to start. The money will be terrible but if your English is good you could get out front to wait tables. I worked as a waiter from age 15, I was terrible but it was great fun. There are some great tapas places in Dublin, but.....there's the obvious problem with the whole hospitality industry being shut down.

Maybe teaching Spanish outside school hours? If you could find some secondary schools that had it on the curriculum. "Grinds" as we call them pays maybe €25 an hour but I suppose it's less if you have no teaching experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Lumen wrote: »
    Something like a kitchen porter might do, as a place to start. The money will be terrible but if your English is good you could get out front to wait tables. I worked as a waiter from age 15, I was terrible but it was great fun. There are some great tapas places in Dublin, but.....there's the obvious problem with the whole hospitality industry being shut down.

Maybe teaching Spanish outside school hours? If you could find some secondary schools that had it on the curriculum. "Grinds" as we call them pays maybe €25 an hour but I suppose it's less if you have no teaching experience.

That's your biggest problem.

There are tens of thousands of people and students looking for work now and no one to employ them.

How much money will you bring to Ireland?

Can you afford to stay in a hostel for potentially one month or so and then pay one months rent + deposit for your room?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Dublin is a very expensive city to live in, compared to Madrid for example. https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/madrid/dublin

Suggest you share a room or travel with friends. One of the down sides of travelling with friends is it may hold you back from meeting others.

You could consider a town or city outside Dublin. They're smaller of course but also cheaper and will still have a decent nightlife during the summer and quicker access to quality beaches and outdoor activities. Can also be easier to meet people, join local clubs etc.

Arrange your job and a place to stay before you arrive. I suggest saving at least enough for 3 months living exps. You will need one month rent deposit and 1 months rent juat to secure a place to sleep. Another month as a biffer and enough to keep yourself in

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Dublin is a very expensive city to live in, compared to Madrid for example. https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/madrid/dublin

Suggest you share a room or travel with friends. One of the down sides of travelling with friends is it may hold you back from meeting others.

You could consider a town or city outside Dublin. They're smaller of course but also cheaper and will still have a decent nightlife during the summer and quicker access to quality beaches and outdoor activities. Can also be easier to meet people, join local clubs etc.

Arrange your job and a place to stay before you arrive. I suggest saving at least enough for 3 months living exps. You will need one month rent deposit and 1 months rent juat to secure a place to sleep. Another month as a biffer and enough to keep yourself in

Thanks for everybody who's answering! I appreciate it.
    I had thought about the restaurant job (maybe, like Lumen said, someone could hire me for a 'tapas' restaurant as I'm Spanish). It's a good idea.

Of course, I know I would have to get the studio appartment and the job arranged before travelling to Ireland. I guess then I'd have to do an online interview? I hope it's not a problem for the employer.

I'd prefer living by myself, but if that's impossible I could meet some Irish students to live with, other than travelling with my friends. As someone said, If I travel with people I know, it will be harder to meet new people.

About my budget I thought I would be able to pay the entire trip with what I earn there. I wanted to do this within the Summer months, so if I earn 1000 every month (3000 in total) and I take the studio apparment rent (I found some which were about 700-800 per month, therefore between 2100-2400), the cost of the flight (200 euros, then 400) and food expenses (100-150, for three months 300-450) I would be around zero (pretty tight, I know). For the first month I would pay with money I saved in Spain and then recover it with the job salary. I guess I'll have to take with me 500 more euros just in case, although maybe I don't spend it.

With all these problems, I'm starting to get the idea that what I want to do is quite a crazy thing, but really, I would love to. I'm sure it would be a memorable experience for my life.

I think what you want to do is possible, but you need to arrange your job and accommodation before you come over, and you need a lot of emergency money should things go bad.

You're still very young so you have lots of time to make this dream come true.

I moved to Asia when I was in my mid-30s, and travelled the world, so don't feel like you need to rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Carlos F wrote: »
    Thanks for everybody who's answering! I appreciate it.
    I had thought about the restaurant job (maybe, like Lumen said, someone could hire me for a 'tapas' restaurant as I'm Spanish). It's a good idea.

Of course, I know I would have to get the studio appartment and the job arranged before travelling to Ireland. I guess then I'd have to do an online interview? I hope it's not a problem for the employer.

I'd prefer living by myself, but if that's impossible I could meet some Irish students to live with, other than travelling with my friends. As someone said, If I travel with people I know, it will be harder to meet new people.

About my budget I thought I would be able to pay the entire trip with what I earn there. I wanted to do this within the Summer months, so if I earn 1000 every month (3000 in total) and I take the studio apparment rent (I found some which were about 700-800 per month, therefore between 2100-2400), the cost of the flight (200 euros, then 400) and food expenses (100-150, for three months 300-450) I would be around zero (pretty tight, I know). For the first month I would pay with money I saved in Spain and then recover it with the job salary. I guess I'll have to take with me 500 more euros just in case, although maybe I don't spend it.

With all these problems, I'm starting to get the idea that what I want to do is quite a crazy thing, but really, I would love to. I'm sure it would be a memorable experience for my life.

I love your hustle. I really wish you the best of luck.

Perhaps consider some work in the caring sector (looking after elderly people).. some companies provide full training. Hard work, but rewarding.

https://careforme.ie/home-care-careers/#pg-3252-5

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    * Finding a room or apartment will be very difficult
    This isn't necessarily true if you're willing to share accommodation, although the standard of rental accommodation is lower than in continental Europe.

You may not be able to afford a private bedroom, but young local professionals have the same problem.
    * Finding a job will be tough, although I assume you have a greater chance of getting a Spanish speaking call centre job
    Again, this largely depends on your expectations. B2 is quite a high standard of English, and people without this level of competence can secure jobs in hospitality relatively easily. The service industry has a high staff turnover by its nature. Plenty of people work on pubs and hotels as interim jobs.

The service industry in Dublin relies heavily on international (non-European) students, most of whom can only work for a limited number of hours per week. As a Spanish national, you won't need any paperwork and will be able to work much more flexibly. This will give you a competitive edge.

I worked in various pubs, hotels and restaurants in Dublin and no one ever interviewed me. The best approach is to make a strategic map of busy areas where you'd like to work, and visit the bars/restaurants personally at a quiet time to give your CV to the manager. If they have a vacancy, they'll probably ask you to come and work for a few hours, which they have to pay you for. No doubt you'll make a good impression and they'll offer you the job. Even in the last recession, many of my friends managed perfectly well.

jrmb wrote: »
    This isn't necessarily true if you're willing to share accommodation, although the standard of rental accommodation is lower than in continental Europe.

You may not be able to afford a private bedroom, but young local professionals have the same problem.

Again, this largely depends on your expectations. B2 is quite a high standard of English, and people without this level of competence can secure jobs in hospitality relatively easily. The service industry has a high staff turnover by its nature. Plenty of people work on pubs and hotels as interim jobs.

The service industry in Dublin relies heavily on international (non-European) students, most of whom can only work for a limited number of hours per week. As a Spanish national, you won't need any paperwork and will be able to work much more flexibly. This will give you a competitive edge.

It's true he'll probably be able to find a room he can share with someone in a ****ty apartment.

I disagree completely he'll have an easy time finding a hospitality job. It's true there's high turnover but he's a 17 year old with no experience.

I get the feeling you're projecting your many years ago experience of the rental situation and the hospitality industry.

I disagree completely he'll have an easy time finding a hospitality job. It's true there's high turnover but he's a 17 year old with no experience.

I get the feeling you're projecting your many years ago experience of the rental situation and the hospitality industry.

I was still doing it two years ago and I'm still in close contact with my former colleagues. I now work closely with international students. Floor staff, server, stock picker, barista, housekeeper and kitchen porter are the most common jobs which they take, and most of them manage to get promoted fairly quickly into roles which they enjoy.

After he turns 18, the chances are that he'll have 3-4 job options to choose from.

jrmb wrote: »
    The best approach is to make a strategic map of busy areas where you'd like to work, and visit the bars/restaurants personally at a quiet time to give your CV to the manager.

Thanks for your answer! But my budget is already low, so I'm afraid I cannot waste many days looking for a job, as I'll have to pay for the food and studio apartment. Would it be possible, then, to have the job arranged before I travel there? Do any of you think I could contact some restaurant/pub/others and they could hire me before I even met them in person?

I guess if it's almost impossible I'll have to do what jrmb tells me.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your answer! But my budget is already low, so I'm afraid I cannot waste many days looking for a job, as I'll have to pay for the food and studio apartment. Would it be possible, then, to have the job arranged before I travel there? Do any of you think I could contact some restaurant/pub/others and they could hire me before I even met them in person?

I guess if it's almost impossible I'll have to do what jrmb tells me.
    Bars and restaurants tend to pay their staff weekly in Ireland, whereas it's monthly in many other countries. This is particularly advantageous if you have a time limit.

Could you stay with a host family, at least in the beginning?

That's actually a very good idea! Thank you!

I've searched for a few host families and it could reduce the montly fee to 500 euros instead of 800. This is really helpful, as after the three months I would stil have around 600 euros!

That's actually a very good idea! Thank you!

I've searched for a few host families and it could reduce the montly fee to 500 euros instead of 800. This is really helpful, as after the three months I would stil have around 600 euros!

In a regional city, your income could be the same but the rent would be even lower than that.

Most non-EU students take lessons for 3 hours/day, 5/days week, and work for up to 20h/week. As a European, you could work as much as you wanted and, if you wanted to do a language/cultural course, it might only be 1-2 evenings per week.

There are loads of options.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Don't give up on your dreams... but maybe postpone them for a year. It is just a bad year for seeking causal work, probably the worst in fact.

But the general advice given will apply no mater where you decide to go - build up a cash reserve to live on in the early stage, know some places that might offer work, try and make some contacts etc...

So may be make a plan for next year and work on that. Save some cash, research possible employers, make some contact via the internet etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

It seems to me that your written english is pretty good :)

Are you really still a teenager ?

If you have office experience then you might think of

- What Spanish companies have offices in Ireland
    - What Irish companies operate in Spain ( off-hand I can think of Dunnes Stores and Primark )

( try to get some sort of summer job setup before you travel )

I wonder if https://isea.ie/ and https://dublin.cervantes.es/en/default.shtm might prompt any ideas ?

( approach this with a view to what you might like to do next in your life )

Good Luck :)

It looks like there used to be a lot of language jobs in Dublin, but there was a massive drop off near the end of last year:

https://dublinjobs.ie/statistics?daterange=last-36-months&categories%5B%5D=11

I don't know why.

So my feeling is don't limit yourself to Spanish related jobs. Your English seems to be good enough for a lot of jobs Irish people would do.

After receiving so many answers, I can only tell you thank you.
    Just in case anybody is interested into knowing what Im gonna do, here it is:

-A few months before Summer begins Ill try to contact as many bars/pubs (they pay weekly and thats an amazing advantage)/hotels as I can and The University Hospital (which I've been told pays really good) and see which are their requirements.

-I'll do the vetting process, a CV or any other thing they might ask for.

-The moment I sort of have my job arranged I'll contact a host family (a cheap one, around 500 euros a month). This, I believe, won't be as difficult and I could have it prepared it in little amount of time.

-My plan is to travel to Ireland around 25th of June and come back to Spain the first days of September (highschool starts really soon in my city). Therefore I'll be there for a bit more of two months. If I get paid 2000 euros and substract 1000 from the host family, 400 for the ticket planes and maybe 100 for transport, I'll still have 500 euros just in case. As I said before, my plan its not to earn a lot of money and spend it in what I want, but only to get work experience and improve my English.

Once again, thank you all so much. You've helped me a lot through this process. I can only hope coronavirus is off by 2021.

Have you heard of couchsurfing?

When travelling you can use it to meet people and sleep on their couch. You'll save money and have a more local experience.

couchsurfing.org

Advertisement