Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Month after weed and feed.. What next

Options
  • 24-06-2020 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭

Okay it's been a month since I have weed and feed the garden. With the amount of rain coming up good but have not cut it yet

Plan to cut it this weekend. However there is still a line of yellow patch and other patches in the picture below.

So what height should I cut grass and do I need to seed or put anything else down

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vuy4GP6QET5Qw1Mr7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

I would cut it. Keep cutting til August. Scarify did reseed then. Lawn looks poor and now is not a great time to seed (although the rain at the moment would help)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Pious14 wrote: »
    I would cut it. Keep cutting til August. Scarify did reseed then. Lawn looks poor and now is not a great time to seed (although the rain at the moment would help)

Plan to cut it this weekend if weather holds up. Should I cut it to low level height on lae3

Regards seeding do you seed the patches or whole garden and how often do you water them

I know hosepipe ban but we've collected water from recent rain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

With the amount of thatch/moss there you'd be wasting your time over seeding. Seed needs direct contact with the soil. Try and take out as much of the dead grass and moss as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

Plan to cut it this weekend if weather holds up. Should I cut it to low level height on lae3

Regards seeding do you seed the patches or whole garden and how often do you water them

I know hosepipe ban but we've collected water from recent rain

I would cut normal and regular. Spray some dicophar or similar to kill the weeds. As previous poster has said weeds will be a problem so need to start killing them off before you do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Brego888 wrote: »
    With the amount of thatch/moss there you'd be wasting your time over seeding. Seed needs direct contact with the soil. Try and take out as much of the dead grass and moss as you can.

I'd agree with this, pull the tatch out with spring tine rake.

You could overseed before a spell of bad weather, the last 10 days were ridiculous for new seed, mine was up in 6 days. Hose pipe ban would put me off doing this in dry weather, they new seed needs plenty of water in 1st few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Cheers

Only new house so trying to sort out Garden as never had one in previous house. Going to try cut it tonight and have ordered some dicophar and garden sprayer. So with the Dicophar when cut do you spray it over the whole garden or just the weeds ?

Try to cut the Grass tonight don't know which is going to be worse that or Watching Arsenal :o

Advertisement