Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Wetherspoons buying Fowlers in Malahide?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

With how the Wetherspoons’s owner behaved With his staff during the pandemic and with his comments etc, I will be ****ed if I ever set foot in one of his kips again and the one in Swords is on my doorstep and frequented by friends of mine but **** no way will I give them any business.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

If you don't like Wetherspoons don't go it's simple really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭The Davestator

With how the Wetherspoons’s owner behaved With his staff during the pandemic and with his comments etc, I will be ****ed if I ever set foot in one of his kips again and the one in Swords is on my doorstep and frequented by friends of mine but **** no way will I give them any business.....

Dont believe everything you read on facebook!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

If you want a laugh spoons customer service on twitter has had some good wind up's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

This wasn't just facebook, though, was it. How yer man treated his staff during covid, plus his active backing of brexit - he can keep his cheap beer and microwaved "meals", I'll go to a decent Irish-owned bar selling real Irish beer, thanks all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

This wasn't just facebook, though, was it. How yer man treated his staff during covid, plus his active backing of brexit - he can keep his cheap beer and microwaved "meals", I'll go to a decent Irish-owned bar selling real Irish beer, thanks all the same.

Again don't like it don't go. I'm sure Tim Martin couldn't give a rats what you think of his sucessful pub chain as clearly there is a demand for it.

The only that does annoy me about Spoons is when I was younger the bouncers would ID me at the door then they'd ID again when buying drinks at the bar never come across this practice elsewhere and found it a bit odd. No problem getting ID'd but no need to do it multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

The one in Blanch is a rough kip but then again Malahide ain’t Blanch.

Really, why do you think it is a kip? I've been there twice and its light years ahead of some of the filthy pubs in Dublin. Nicely laid out, very clean, pleasant bar staff, families having a meal and a cheap drink. I saw absolutely no problems on both occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Has anyone been back since they reopened? How is it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Has anyone been back since they reopened? How is it?

Yes I have usually sit out the back

Very good on distancing and making sure they have contact details

Mentioned the Wetherspoons rumour to the younger bearded guy who laughed and said do you think we'd have spent what we have to reopen if we were selling up?

Stheno wrote: »
    Yes I have usually sit out the back

Very good on distancing and making sure they have contact details

Mentioned the Wetherspoons rumour to the younger bearded guy who laughed and said do you think we'd have spent what we have to reopen if we were selling up?

Sounds good, looking forward to getting back in for some dinner and a few pints. I miss it.

Do you have to book ahead, or walk ins?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sounds good, looking forward to getting back in for some dinner and a few pints. I miss it.

Do you have to book ahead, or walk ins?

Walk ins only afaik I've been twice but during the day so don't know what its like in the evwning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Very slightly off topic but I was in Malahide today and was a bit surprised by the campaign by most businesses against the pedestrianisation of New Street.

I would have thought it would be a massive boon to small businesses in a place like Malahide , especially when the alternative is having their little boutiques hidden behind parked cars.

Struck me as odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Very slightly off topic but I was in Malahide today and was a bit surprised by the campaign by most businesses against the pedestrianisation of New Street.

I would have thought it would be a massive boon to small businesses in a place like Malahide , especially when the alternative is having their little boutiques hidden behind parked cars.

Struck me as odd.

Yup, I don't get it. It's not like a massive amount of cars could ever park on New Street anyway - it's <i>much</i> more enjoyable as a pedestrianised street!

2ndcoming wrote: »

Struck me as odd.

Have you tried getting parking on the weekends in Malahide lately?
    It's a nightmare, they've removed over 40 parking spaces.

I buy most of my clothes from one of those boutiques in Malahide, and at least 50% of the time I've tried parking there during the week and weekends since they introduced this, I've been unable to do so and given up.

It's not as if New Street has anything to offer tbh. They could have increased space for the bars/restaurants and put parking in the middle of the street much like the bicycle lanes are now protected in town.

Badly thought through, introduced before the bars/restauarants reopened etc

Now Swords Main St. is ripe for something like this from the Star to where McDonalds is.

You can’t shop if you’ve no means of getting it home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭PCros

Now Swords Main St. is ripe for something like this from the Star to where McDonalds is.

Now that would make sense!

Unfortunately Fingal's vision of temporary road closures for Swords is beside the Old School House which really isn't much to be honest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The pedestrianised area in Malahide only works because it's the summer. Fast-forward 6 weeks, no one will be hanging around outside. The Council is really invested in the idea but I don't think it's viable long-term. The lack of consultation with, in particular, the residents of Old St, was a mistake.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭PCros

pinkypinky wrote: »
    The pedestrianised area in Malahide only works because it's the summer. Fast-forward 6 weeks, no one will be hanging around outside. The Council is really invested in the idea but I don't think it's viable long-term. The lack of consultation with, in particular, the residents of Old St, was a mistake.

Well it is only temporary...it is only to run for 10 weeks and is finished on the 24th August.

But yes agree, any plans to extend probably won't happen especially on the back of recent weather.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the council tried to extend the trial. They've spent money on benches, etc. There's someone standing on the street all the time, who is presumably being paid.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,136 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

they are doing this all over, blackrock and dun laoghaire are a nightmare now traffic / parking wise with the same thing, and you can drive the coast road from blackrock to DL any more.

re wetherspoons the ones in Blackrock and DL really dont add anything to either place, they could be worse but could be a lot better,

i quite liked Tonic back in the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RoversCeltic

That's a blatant lie. There was consultation.eith businesses and community groups

Have you tried getting parking on the weekends in Malahide lately?
    It's a nightmare, they've removed over 40 parking spaces.

I buy most of my clothes from one of those boutiques in Malahide, and at least 50% of the time I've tried parking there during the week and weekends since they introduced this, I've been unable to do so and given up.

It's not as if New Street has anything to offer tbh. They could have increased space for the bars/restaurants and put parking in the middle of the street much like the bicycle lanes are now protected in town.

Badly thought through, introduced before the bars/restauarants reopened etc

Park in the castle. New spaces put in to compensate

I don't want to drag this thread further off track, but here's just one example of someone saying they were not consulted.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/they-expect-me-at-78-to-park-my-car-10-minutes-away-anger-at-malahide-pedestrian-trial-39337323.html

Not everyone is able-bodied or capable of walking from the castle car park.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

Are these spots not available specifically for this issue?

https://twitter.com/Fingalcoco/status/1276470511455866885

jwwb wrote: »

55 or older is ridiculous it should be 65 or older

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Thread should be closed, its already been confirmed that Wetherspoons are not buying out Fowlers

I don't want to drag this thread further off track, but here's just one example of someone saying they were not consulted.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/they-expect-me-at-78-to-park-my-car-10-minutes-away-anger-at-malahide-pedestrian-trial-39337323.html

Not everyone is able-bodied or capable of walking from the castle car park.

There are spaces on old street

jwwb wrote: »

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Conor in Fowlers is the best barman in Malahide. As long as he stays ill be happy!

• Advertisement

Anyone in here recently? Is the food rule being enforced?

Advertisement