Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europol: Ireland hit by surge of ‘right-wing extremism’

Options
  • 24-06-2020 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭BarnardsLoop

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/europol-ireland-hit-by-surge-of-right-wing-extremism-1007037.html
    Ireland is among a number of European countries caught up in a worldwide “wave” of right-wing extremism, the EU police agency has said.

Europol said there is a “strong international network” involving right-wing extremists from Ireland, other European countries and the US. It said here in Ireland the extremists are raising money through online donations including of cryptocurrencies (digital currencies).

In its 2020 terrorism report, the agency said incidents in Ireland in 2019 involving “anti-immigrant ideology” included arson attacks on planned direct provision centres and vehicles.

Maybe we could avoid ten pages of "yeah but these days you get called far-right just for saying Jews are plotting to destroy the West and immigrants are invading our pure white lands" and talk about the serious issue this raises?

At the very least, I'd love to hear the arguments as to why bloody Europol is wrong about this or how they might have some kind of "leftist agenda".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Nice to see you have an open mind on this, OP. Very refreshing.

You give them too much credit by suggesting there is a political agenda behind it. Sometimes a thug is just a thug.

Btw, you can have anti immigration opinions without being a terrorist or a nazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I'd be more inclined to believe them if they included as a threat the groups rioting and pulling down statues and engaging in protests supporting an anarchist left wing group.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

not saying theyre wrong but have they made any similar comment on the recent wave of left wing violence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Is that the same Europol who found a position for Noirin O'Sullivan, the one who "mislaid" her phones and laptop and who even with the help of her detective inspector husband couldn't manage to locate any of them and then off she heads to Europol to solve crime leaving a trail of destruction after her, not a bother on her the scoundrel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭BarnardsLoop

Nice to see you have an open mind on this, OP. Very refreshing.

Is there some sort of point you're trying to make here?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What do they mean by right wing? What makes these right wing as opposed to (possibly) anti immigrant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭beachhead

There are no monitoring organsations in Europe or indeed the planet without an agenda.Europol is just one.You must do what your paymasters tell you.

Could ask you the same OP. What exactly do you want to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Not surprised at all. Boards has gone very right wing these days.

• Advertisement

tigger123 wrote: »
    Not surprised at all. Boards has gone very right wing these days.

Infiltrated by terrorists?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Infiltrated by terrorists?

No, just w*nkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

To be honest I just don't see it. Is there even a real right wing party in the Dail? No FG don't count.

The only real right wingers are a few rural independents.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is the report https://www.europol.europa.eu/activities-services/main-reports/european-union-terrorism-situation-and-trend-report-te-sat-2020

Some snippets
    EU Member States observed that a substantial number of terrorists have a prior criminal record, mainly in different forms of non-organised crime.
    In Sweden, nearly half of the jihadist individuals convicted of different forms of violent crime are travellers to, or returnees from the conflict zone.
    Hungary reported that many known members of right-wing extremist groups have previous convictions for violent crimes.
    In Ireland, known criminal elements have been identified as affiliated with right-wing protests.
    Several EU Member States reported violent right-wing activities.
    In Ireland, incidents associated with antiimmigrant ideology, including arson attacks on immigrant housing facilities and a vehicle, were observed in 2019.

Arrests in 2019 per EU Member State and per affiliation
    xxxxxxxxxxx.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭randd1

Yes, all those recent marches to support BLM in spite of the Covid-19 restrictions, the justified vilification of Gemma O'Doherty and her ilk, the recent enough surge in support for left wing parties and politics in the general election in contradiction to the centre right policies of the two historical main parties and the repeated calls across all corners of the media to examine our national conscience when it comes to race and minorities are very much part of a wave of right wing extremism alright.

Point? No, as I said, nice to see you have kept an open mind on it. You are to be commended for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Yeah you are right, I was going down O Connell street the last day, it was all swastikas and synagogue burning.

Racism is bad (and Racists are not exclusively white and European) but mass importation of people who share none of our values and will never integrate fully is not the solution to this.

Regarding the burning of Direct Provision centres, perhaps that wouldnt have happened if the local communities had been consulted properly beforehand rather than adding a third/half to their population who may/or may not be fleeing persecution in their homeland overnight.

Just to set come context, a couple of recent posts from the OP:

“The irony of saying that on a thread full of racist scumbags whinging about how 'white people' are being threatened by the mere existence of non-white people here. Plenty of ye do nothing but think about race, clearly.”

“Let's be honest here: to these types, "antifa" is literally just "people to the left of me"/"people expressing an opinion I think is left-wing".

Yep. I make no bones about the fact that I'm left-wing. Oh, sorry, was that supposed to be some kind of amazing 'gotcha'?

Would you now like to explain how my opinions invalidate what Europol has to say? Please, go ahead, I can wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Ive noticed a trend among people. Those who have posted mad conspiracies' regarding COVID, 5G and Vaccinations are the same people who post stuff about immigrants, anti asylum seekers and the usual racist ramblings are nearly all SF voters. A large section of the SF vote is far right regarding immigration....

I cant wait until SF get into power and see the meltdown.

This is not an anti SF post as they are not a racist party do have good policies regarding asylum seekers and migration. It just shows that its new support maybe not be the longing for a left wing alternative

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Given how radically the Overton window has shifted then nowadays merely being in support of Free speech is equivalent to re-constituting the 4th Reich. Which is we all know is why Count Dankula was training his pug for.

Yep. I make no bones about the fact that I'm left-wing. Oh, sorry, was that supposed to be some kind of amazing 'gotcha'?

Would you now like to explain how my opinions invalidate what Europol has to say? Please, go ahead, I can wait.
    The report shows we have no had no right wing terrorism arrests. The article refers to the arson attack on the direct provision centre and just for the mere fact that it was an attack on a direct provision (immigration) centre they prefix it with "right wing terrorists".

The most likely scenario is it was a group of thugs unhappy with a direct provision centre in their town. I seriously doubt they know what a right wing politician is let alone care.

OP seems to be trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Europol seem to be trolling.

As I said setting the context. Whether the mods agree it is trolling, is another thing.

Either way not worth anyone’s time engaging with you.

5555555555 wrote: »
    Europol seem to be trolling.

Maybe they are trolling the OP?

Trolling by... posting a news article in a forum literally titled 'Current Affairs'? Honestly, I was expecting something just a little less feeble than that

Ah well, if you feel so strongly then report my OP and let the mods decide.

Unless your contention is that just because I'm left-wing I must be trolling. c:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

biko wrote: »
    This is the report https://www.europol.europa.eu/activities-services/main-reports/european-union-terrorism-situation-and-trend-report-te-sat-2020

Some snippets

Arrests in 2019 per EU Member State and per affiliation
    xxxxxxxxxxx.png

reming me never to go to Italy, France or Greece. jaysus,

Trolling by... posting a news article in a forum literally titled 'Current Affairs'? Honestly, I was expecting something just a little less feeble than that

Ah well, if you feel so strongly then report my OP and let the mods decide.

Unless your contention is that just because I'm left-wing I must be trolling. c:

I had already done so, thanks.

Feeble trolling is feeble.

• Advertisement

Manach wrote: »
    Given how radically the Overton window has shifted then nowadays merely being in support of Free speech is equivalent to re-constituting the 4th Reich. Which is we all know is why Count Dankula was training his pug for.

I wouldn't say burning down direct provision centers is a radical shift of the Overton window.... I don't believe your free speech is being restricted...

Advertisement