Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europol: Ireland hit by surge of ‘right-wing extremism’

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

not saying theyre wrong but have they made any similar comment on the recent wave of left wing violence?

Funny enough: Going off the FBI it’s for the most part a lot of right wing extremists inserting themselves into left wing protests to sow disdain for the protest movement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭BarnardsLoop

Yeah but no one could possibly guess the motives of the people that burned down the hotel and to do so is obviously just "pushing a left-wing narrative". I get that those dopes think they're playing dumb (rather than just being dumb) but it's a little insulting, at this point, that they expect the rest of us to believe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

reming me never to go to Italy, France or Greece. jaysus,

Why Greece?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Why Greece?

They invented gayness

The same Europol who can't find Ghislaine Maxwell, on Interpol's most wanted list either, even though she is widely known to be living in Paris

https://www.tatler.com/article/ghislaine-maxwell-hiding-in-paris-secret-luxury-bolthole

• Advertisement

The same Europol who can't find Ghislaine Maxwell, on Interpol's most wanted list either, even though she is widely known to be living in Paris

https://www.tatler.com/article/ghislaine-maxwell-hiding-in-paris-secret-luxury-bolthole

Why on earth are you dredging for reasons to discredit Europol? What allegiance do you owe right wing extremism?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Overheal wrote: »
    Funny enough: Going off the FBI it’s for the most part a lot of right wing extremists inserting themselves into left wing protests to sow disdain for the protest movement.

lol, you on overtime? wouldnt be the first time the fbi got it wrong i suppose. the "protest movement" dosnt need any help in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

"Europol said all ten deaths in terrorist incidents in 2019 were from jihadist attacks. It said five people in Ireland were arrested in relation to jihadist extremism in 2019."

Last two lines in that article.

This seems to be very poor journalism from Cormac O'Keeffe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Belgium & UK seems to have a lot of none specific terrorist, almost like they're hiding something.

123.jpg
    Why Greece?

Gonna guess he misread it or meant to write Germany.

"Widely known"?

That article quotes a Sun article which itself quotes... "an unnamed source". You couldn't get much further from "widely known", frankly. Maybe I'm wrong but I imagine Europol has access to far more and better resources than The Sun's "unnamed source".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Varik wrote: »
    Belgium & UK seems to have a lot of none specific terrorist, almost like they're hiding something.

123.jpg

Gonna guess he misread it or meant to write Germany.

following the Swedish model "we have a problem with islamic grooming gangs and rapists" "we simply stop recording ethnicity and the problem disappears"

following the Swedish model "we have a problem with islamic grooming gangs and rapists" "we simply stop recording ethnicity and the problem disappears"

Yes, yes, it's all a conspiracy to suppress knowledge of Islamist terrorism. It's not as if the UK encompasses a region that's literally had decades of non-Islamist terrorism, is it? And obviously those organisations didn't splinter or keep things going.

See, this is precisely the problem: how do you debate the kind of person for whom lack of evidence of something is itself, evidence of its existence? Let alone evidence of a conspiracy to suppress knowledge of its existence.

lol, you on overtime? wouldnt be the first time the fbi got it wrong i suppose. the "protest movement" dosnt need any help in that regard.

Got it wrong? They’ve already made arrests..

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/boogaloo-movement-recent-violent-attacks/story?id=71295536

"Widely known"?

That article quotes a Sun article which itself quotes... "an unnamed source". You couldn't get much further from "widely known", frankly. Maybe I'm wrong but I imagine Europol has access to far more and better resources than The Sun's "unnamed source".
    See I would of thought they spotted the big question mark on the headline signifying it’s speculative conjecture.

Trolling by... posting a news article in a forum literally titled 'Current Affairs'? Honestly, I was expecting something just a little less feeble than that

Ah well, if you feel so strongly then report my OP and let the mods decide.

Unless your contention is that just because I'm left-wing I must be trolling. c:
    I think the problem is that you are reading the article through left-wing tinted glasses and also that the article is clearly feeding on the popular opinion of the day in order to generate revenue through clicks, links and reposts. It is misleading in its conclusion and title, it is grossly exaggerated at the very least.

The conclusion is in fact that Ireland does not have a right-wing extremist terrorism problem and actually the only terror related arrests were jihadist with, by the way, the majority (possibly all of them) involved being refugees.

With regards to the burning down of the hotel and car, people in the area did not want the direct provision centre. I dont condone burning it down, as I've said that was simply an act of thuggery. But let's not let that take away from the truth of the issue which is that this was not wanted and the people of the area were being ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Can anyone find any reference to those 5 arrest for Ireland?

Yes, yes, it's all a conspiracy to suppress knowledge of Islamist terrorism. It's not as if the UK encompasses a region that's literally had decades of non-Islamist terrorism, is it? And obviously those organisations didn't splinter or keep things going.

See, this is precisely the problem: how do you debate the kind of person for whom lack of evidence of something is itself, evidence of its existence? Let alone evidence of a conspiracy to suppress knowledge of its existence.

Then would have been under Ethno nationalist and separatist terrorism and the point still stands.

Either way the UK has a very large number of terrorist who they can't seem to find motivation or affiliation for.

and Belgium?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Is Gemma regarded as a "surge of right wing extremism" OP?

Because I genuinely am unaware of anyone else really although others are more low profile obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

John Doe1 wrote: »

Regarding the burning of Direct Provision centres, perhaps that wouldnt have happened if the local communities had been consulted properly beforehand rather than adding a third/half to their population who may/or may not be fleeing persecution in their homeland overnight.

When you factor in that the Govt [both Irish and Eu] are forcing them on us and then there's been an increase in violent crimes, rapes, sexual assaults,etc whenever they've been set up in other Countries its natural for people to be worried. Why should our loved ones become victims because the do gooders in Government want to pat themselves on the back showing to the world how "loving, compassionate and tolerant" they are while making sure where they live is shielded from direct provision centres and migrants in general. People are going to be concerned and since the Govt is clearly ignoring the will of the people and are going to continue this anyway they lose the right to be shocked when communities feel this is the only way to let themselves been seen and heard.

Then would have been under Ethno nationalist and separatist terrorism and the point still stands.

By the same token, wouldn't Jihadist terrorist incidents be under "Jihadist terrorism"? c:
    Either way the UK has a very large number of terrorist who they can't seem to find motivation or affiliation for.

Or for whom none of the categories in the report are applicable to. Interestingly, two notes at the bottom of that annex weren't quoted by biko.

The first reads: "The data on 386 terrorist arrests was not broken down by type of terrorism, therefore represented in the category ‘Not
    specified’."

So it's possible the data given to them simply wasn't recorded in that way or that the specific terrorism the arrests were made for wasn't separately recorded. Especially since Annex 2 lists sixty four incidents in the UK that were "completed, failed, or foiled". Most likely is that the UK authorities don't record the type of terrorism for which someone is being arrested, it would come under "terrorist offence" or something like that.

and Belgium?

Well, I'm doing nothing more than you two: speculating. Still managing not to jump to wild, conspiratorial conclusions, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

There was an expose on theses far right extremists on BBC panorama the last night. I don't think we have too much to fear here, as most are just wasters who live out of their bedrooms in internet chat rooms. But

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement

By the same token, wouldn't Jihadist terrorist incidents be under "Jihadist terrorism"? c:

Or for whom none of the categories in the report are applicable to. Interestingly, two notes at the bottom of that annex weren't quoted by biko.

The first reads: "The data on 386 terrorist arrests was not broken down by type of terrorism, therefore represented in the category ‘Not
    specified’."

So it's possible the data given to them simply wasn't recorded in that way or that the specific terrorism the arrests were made for wasn't separately recorded.

Well, I'm doing nothing more than you two: speculating. Still managing not to jump to wild, conspiratorial conclusions, though.
    I'm sorry but your argument comes across as a bit desperate you're desperately trying to find something in it to justify your extreme biased opinion.

It is very apparent the only extremism in ireland is of the left.

The vast majority of people do not care to get involved in political agendas and have opinions and arguments based purely on common sense, personal experience and evidence from other countries.

There isnt a town or village in the country that wants to be host to a direct provision centre.

I have no doubt whatsoever this includes many liberals. It's all grand protesting until it's on your own back yard, then it's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

I do find it hard to believe that Ireland has a burgeoning right wing extremist element lurking in the shadows.

The centre-right consensus was shattered in the last election and it's now fair to say that we are a centre-left country. We're pretty damn liberal.

By the way, even if there was a far right movement in Ireland, I fail to see why that's Europol's business. So the EU's law enforcement agency is monitoring the political opinions in member states now?

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    I do find it hard to believe that Ireland has a burgeoning right wing extremist element lurking in the shadows.

The centre-right consensus was shattered in the last election and it's now fair to say that we are a centre-left country. We're pretty damn liberal.

By the way, even if there was a far right movement in Ireland, I fail to see why that's Europol's business. So the EU's law enforcement agency is monitoring the political opinions in member states now?

Yes I’m sure they have no business in Ireland not like there’s ever been modern Troubles with insurgency there..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Sean.3516 wrote: »

Beinh the tiniest bit concerned about, unlimited, unchecked and undocumented migration makes one Far Right, don't ya know?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Don't think Ireland has much of an extreme on either side. Far right get nowhere in elections, the far left pretty similar although they have gotten a few empty vessels over the line on occasion.

A perusal of CA on boards might make somebody think there is a real groundswell of right-wing opinion, but it's just anonymous bluster that doesn't exist offline to any similar degree at all.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Beinh the tiniest bit concerned about, unlimited, unchecked and undocumented migration makes one Far Right, don't ya know?

Drink!

But seriously, literally no one is saying that. This is the textbook definition of a "strawman argument". 0/10, must try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I think we Irish are very liberal in general but we are seeing some BS coming from the Far left supporting media.(the Guardian is the big culprit I see and they literally twist event and are very liberal with throwing labels to fit a narrative, so I will never trust them)

Right-wing extremism in Ireland is so small I really dont see it as a problem here, You do hear the term being used by newspapers desperate to try and stay relevant by keeping people worried about a looming enemy.

For example there was a woman in the US pulled from her car and was assaulted, she managed to get back in her car and drove away hitting an attacker but NPR used images from the attack saying she was a right-wing extremists attacking peaceful protesters, They took it down but it is all a part of the problem.
    NPR is being hammered this week for its reporting on right-wing extremists attacking peaceful protesters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Overheal wrote: »
    Yes I’m sure they have no business in Ireland not like there’s ever been modern Troubles with insurgency there..

That's not what he said. They have every right to be monitoring terrorism but monitoring political opinion does seem like they are stretching their remit.

Believing in something, left or right isn't criminal.

osarusan wrote: »
    Don't think Ireland has much of an extreme on either side. Far right get nowhere in elections, the far left pretty similar although they have gotten a few empty vessels over the line on occasion.

A perusal of CA on boards might make somebody think there is a real groundswell of right-wing opinion, but it's just anonymous bluster that doesn't exist offline to any similar degree at all.

Sure but that's about what the report is stating. And as I think anyone who's seen what's been happening in the US and across continental Europe over the last few years can attest, what happens online doesn't stay there.

Now it's just endless, searing outrage but that will eventually translate into more hotels being burned down and more politicians' cars being firebombed when they dare to criticise these people.

And c'mon, a perusal of CA gives more than the impression of "right-wing" opinion. I wouldn't characterise most people on this forum as right-wing, because most right-wing people are just average people. The kind of... apoplectic rage directed towards immigrants and the sheer amount of lies that get peddled here speak far more to far-right interests trying to spread their FUD.

We're lucky in that far-right parties have historically failed miserably here and the public's overall centrist leaning is a Godsend in that regard. I also think it's easy to get complacent and believe that we're immune to the kind radicalisation that's been going on elsewhere. We may be less likely to fall for it but the internet has ushered in a time where people get sucked into echo-chambers like this one where any going against the narrative is mocked and jeered out of it.

I worry because that's not the country I grew up in and I don't want to see it fall to that. CA is, if I'm being completely honest, an incredibly ugly view into what could spread to wider Irish society. But I'm just one person and the loudest voices here are those continuing to push the idea that we're somehow under attack or there's some conspiratorial effort to destabilise or destroy us.

Remember:
    The first appeal of a fascist or prematurely fascist movement is an appeal against the intruders. Thus Ur-Fascism is racist by definition.

and:
    The followers must feel besieged. The easiest way to solve the plot is the appeal to xenophobia.

Those are the core tenets behind so many of the arguments here; "we're under attack", "we're being invaded", "they want to replace us". And I just don't know how you're meant to argue against that when it's self-righteous and passionate and appeals to the idea that you have an easy enemy to blame for your problems when all you have to rely on is reason which can be hard to get through to these people with and for some people, having to confront that the only ones responsible for their failures are themselves, is something they can't or won't do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Drink!

But seriously, literally no one is saying that. This is the textbook definition of a "strawman argument". 0/10, must try harder.

So what is rising in Ireland? How do you define far right? What does it stand for?

How much has it rising by?

In reality whatever it is that is referenced is 0.001% of the population. We are a centerist country, neither of the far ends get many votes

Advertisement