Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europol: Ireland hit by surge of ‘right-wing extremism’

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That's not what he said. They have every right to be monitoring terrorism but monitoring political opinion does seem like they are stretching their remit.

Believing in something, left or right isn't criminal.

Terrorism is inherently political. It makes perfect sense to follow politics to find extremist groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Is Gemma regarded as a "surge of right wing extremism" OP?

Because I genuinely am unaware of anyone else really although others are more low profile obviously.

I would agree that it's not really a large issue here, but we have had incidents like direct provision centres being burned down, mosques vandalized, and synagogues too with swastikas painted on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Anyone who calls out the BLM movement as bogus or states that perhaps, just perhaps, it's not ok for mobs to rip down statues would probably be labeled a right wing extremist by the standards of this crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

I would agree that it's not really a large issue here, but we have had incidents like direct provision centres being burned down, mosques vandalized, and synagogues too with swastikas painted on them.

And defaced statues.

Not sure of the point of the OP, Europol's own statistics indicate much more jihadist or even left wing terrorism around Europe.

Also lets say someone is opposed to all levels or immigration which is indeed extreme, this doesn't mean that he is in favour of violence, no more than a far left winger is responsible for the 100 or so left wing terrorist attacks in Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭BarnardsLoop

So what is rising in Ireland? How do you define far right? What does it stand for?

How much has it rising by?

In reality whatever it is that is referenced is 0.001% of the population. We are a centerist country, neither of the far ends get many votes

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? Amuse yourself with this, if you're serious: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far-right_politics I'm not going to get into another tedious and pointless argument over commonly understood definitions.
    Anyone who calls out the BLM movement as bogus or states that perhaps, just perhaps, it's not ok for mobs to rip down statues would probably be labeled a right wing extremist by the standards of this crowd.

Drink!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

The far right in Ireland is now what they call normal thinking people who have a mind of their own and who are worried of the direction the country is taking. It seems to be that anyone who questions the loony liberals will be called 'far right'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Overheal wrote: »

You said that the right wingers were "inserted into" the BLM protests, not against them, which was the case there.

I mean there might be rightwingers running around with anti-fa, but I doubt it is significant. Maybe the guy who attacked the Cervantes statue was anti spanish. Or anti Catholic. A modern day Cromwellian.

FVP3 wrote: »
    And defaced statues.

A statue that's been defaced for decades already because of the controversial nature of the figure it depicts.
    Not sure of the point of the OP, Europol's own statistics indicate much more jihadist or even left wing terrorism around Europe.

Well for a start, the article is talking about right-wing extremism, not terrorism. And the point is that it's growing, so we should be doing something about it. Preferably before more hotels and politicians are attacked.
    Also lets say someone is opposed to all levels or immigration which is indeed extreme, this doesn't mean that he is in favour of violence, no more than a far left winger is responsible for the 100 or so left wing terrorist attacks in Italy.

Oh I accept that. But it's not really about people who just oppose immigration but believe, shall we say, that "we must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children", for example.
    The far right in Ireland is now what they call normal thinking people who have a mind of their own and who are worried the direction the country is taken. It seems to be that anyone who questions the loony liberals will be called 'far right'

Drink! Keep it up, I'm slowly getting there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Far right groupings in Ireland are small and mainly quite pea-brained, there's more evidence of white nationalism on Boards.ie than there is on the streets.

Gemma O'D (and I wish she would) is the obvious poster bint for this sort of thing but she is so bonkers those who would have serious minded anti-immigrant, pro-white thoughts and dialectical discussion wouldn't go anywhere near her and her merry band of fools.

Who else is there? the National Party of Justin Barrett, they don't even have a single councilor.

There are no organised terror groups, no manifestos,

I'm sure there are a few youtube accounts out there. Indeed I know there are (a gamer is one of them) but again do they have any traction at all beyond young men full of bravado on their phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Far right groupings in Ireland are small and mainly quite pea-brained, there's more evidence of white nationalism on Boards.ie than there is on the streets.

Gemma O'D (and I wish she would) is the obvious poster bint for this sort of thing but she is so bonkers those who would have serious minded anti-immigrant, pro-white thoughts and dialectical discussion wouldn't go anywhere near her and her merry band of fools.

Who else is there? the National Party of Justin Barrett, they don't even have a single councilor.

There are no organised terror groups, no manifestos,

I'm sure there are a few youtube accounts out there. Indeed I know there are (a gamer is one of them) but again do they have any traction at all beyond young men full of bravado on their phone?

You seem to expect these "far right " individuals to stand out like sore thumbs. Maybe with skin heads and boots on.

You couldn't be more wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Outside of the internet, where discussion forum administrators are happy to allow an ever-increasing number of poisonous little shits to congregate and bore the tits off the rest of us, there hasn't been any significant surge of right-wing extremism in Ireland. It's been a tough few years for the far-right, what with the legalisation of gay marriage and abortion, the electorate's continual march towards the left-of-centre, and the arrival of an increasing number of non-white faces in the country. These angry little gammons are going to become more and more alienated as Ireland continues to change for the better, but the rest of us can sit back and laugh at their impotent rage. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see them getting dangerous. They'd have to leave their bedrooms for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

A statue that's been defaced for decades already because of the controversial nature of the figure it depicts.

Well for a start, the article is talking about right-wing extremism, not terrorism. And the point is that it's growing, so we should be doing something about it. Preferably before more hotels and politicians are attacked.

Oh I accept that. But it's not really about people who just oppose immigration but believe, shall we say, that "we must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children", for example.

Drink! Keep it up, I'm slowly getting there!

You cant set up an argument and tell your opponents they can not use valid talking points....you will end up drunk.

Let us be clear here, it is the 'extremism' part that should worry people, not just the rise of right wing political ideals. As long as things are not being mislabeled I am sure we all condone extremism on both sides or I would at least hope you can recognize what extremism is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

FVP3 wrote: »
    And defaced statues.

The data in those tables doesn't appear to properly be complete, for example it states that there were no far right terror attacks (foiled or completed) in Germany in 2019, yet we know for a fact that there were many - including some very high profile ones like in the Halle synagogue and the assassination of a politician.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halle_synagogue_shooting
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halle_synagogue_shooting

Having read a bit more into it, it appears that because of how some countries like Germany list terror attacks, both of these are not classified as such. Which is kind of ironic given the conspiracy theory of unclassified cases in the UK and Belgium some other posters here have jumped to. I'm sure those same posters will be up in arms about this.....

I'm not saying by the way that jihadist or left wing terrorism are not a thing either, though to clarify, and indeed they may even be more prevalent, but was pointing out that there have been far right incidents in Ireland such as the mosque and synagogue attacks, and bur ing down of the DP centres. There also have been far left and even Islamist incidents too. Though thankfully on the whole, as a society, we seem to typically reject these and appear to have a much better hold on finding a middle ground and not going go the poles and extremes which other countries have seen gaining prominence in recent years (maybe our own quite recent past taught us how little good tends to come from it?).
    Specifically what was it that I posted that this was in response to, or were you referring to a different person's post here?

You cant set up an argument and tell your opponents they can not use valid talking points....you will end up drunk.

They're not valid talking points, though, they're ridiculous, cartoonishly exaggerated lies. Notice how none of them ever link to anyone saying those things. Because they don't exist. And I'm not going to waste my time engaging with people who think I'll believe such feeble, obvious lies.
    Let us be clear here, it is the 'extremism' part that should worry people, not just the rise of right wing political ideals. As long as things are not being mislabeled I am sure we all condone extremism on both sides or I would at least hope you can recognize what extremism is.

Yes, that's what I said in an earlier post. Right-wing people are just ordinary people like the rest of us. I certainly don't always agree with them but I always do my best to argue reasonably with them.

I'm absolutely not lumping ordinary right-wing people in with them. I'm talking about the kind of people who make excuses for torching hotels. The kind of people who insidiously push the idea that immigrants are out to get us or "degenerates" are trying to topple society.

When it comes to the far-right, though, well, they're exactly the kind of execrable oxygen thieves that'd love to see people like me exterminated or crib about "degeneracy". So please forgive me if I have no respect for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

tigger123 wrote: »
    Not surprised at all. Boards has gone very right wing these days.

Yeah Europol curated a report based of right-wing extremism on Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Is that the same Europol who found a position for Noirin O'Sullivan, the one who "mislaid" her phones and laptop and who even with the help of her detective inspector husband couldn't manage to locate any of them and then off she heads to Europol to solve crime leaving a trail of destruction after her, not a bother on her the scoundrel

She does not or has not ever worked for Europol so you're talking ****.

The same Europol who can't find Ghislaine Maxwell, on Interpol's most wanted list either, even though she is widely known to be living in Paris

https://www.tatler.com/article/ghislaine-maxwell-hiding-in-paris-secret-luxury-bolthole

That's not the job or Europol and why would they be working off Interpols most wanted list?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This question depends on the definitions I suppose.

I mean, I was pretty shocked the other day to see the white lives matter slogan described as far right??

To me, white lives matter, black too, in fact all lives matter.

It is far right. If you can't work that one out then you're either one of them or a moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This question depends on the definitions I suppose.

I mean, I was pretty shocked the other day to see the white lives matter slogan described as far right??

To me, white lives matter, black too, in fact all lives matter.

White lives do matter but not many white people are being killed by white cops while unarmed and essentially helpless. Which you know. So don't play the fool.

• Advertisement

White lives do matter but not many white people are being killed by white cops while unarmed and essentially helpless. Which you know. So don't play the fool.

Eh sorry now but there are huge amounts of white ppl shot and killed by the police in America. This is documented. To me all lives matter - America is very violent. They need to have a review of their gun laws

Then why is it that the only time we hear "white lives matter" or "all lives matter" is in response to "black lives matter"? It's obvious ****-stirring, of course, no one has said "white lives don't matter" after all. Much like "it's okay to be white", it's responding to something nobody has said in an attempt to draw attention away from worthy causes and fool the dimwitted into thinking anyone is against them.

Another annoying troll from the usual suspects on /pol/ having to share the brain cell between them that has somehow (no one could possibly guess how!) made its way here. As usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    When you factor in that the Govt [both Irish and Eu] are forcing them on us and then there's been an increase in violent crimes, rapes, sexual assaults,etc whenever they've been set up in other Countries its natural for people to be worried. Why should our loved ones become victims because the do gooders in Government want to pat themselves on the back showing to the world how "loving, compassionate and tolerant" they are while making sure where they live is shielded from direct provision centres and migrants in general. People are going to be concerned and since the Govt is clearly ignoring the will of the people and are going to continue this anyway they lose the right to be shocked when communities feel this is the only way to let themselves been seen and heard.

I remember the good old days when left wing was synonymous with common sense.

Islamic ideology is absolutely against Western liberal values.

Feminists and Anti-Fascists would not fare well in an Islamic country for instance yet these are the kind of people guilting the rest of us into submission. They far left will not be happy until our society collapses

I recommend reading or listening to Sam Harris on the topic.

It is far right. If you can't work that one out then you're either one of them or a moron.

Why is it far right? I see it as treating ppl equally.

Black lives matter
    White lives matter
    All lives matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Are you living on another planet? For every George Floyd there’s a Tony Timpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I do not think Ireland is anywhere near as right-wing as some lefties on here would love to claim it to be.

Dan.

Why is it far right? I see it as treating ppl equally.

Black lives matter
    White lives matter
    All lives matter

Its clearly a bit too nuanced for you. Maybe do some research and enlighten yourself.

Its clearly a bit too nuanced for you. Maybe do some research and enlighten yourself.

Maybe you should do some research yourself and come back and apologize for calling an equal approach to all lives matter far right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Then why is it that the only time we hear "white lives matter" or "all lives matter" is in response to "black lives matter"? It's obvious ****-stirring, of course, no one has said "white lives don't matter" after all. Much like "it's okay to be white", it's responding to something nobody has said in an attempt to draw attention away from worthy causes and fool the dimwitted into thinking anyone is against them.

Another annoying troll from the usual suspects on /pol/ having to share the brain cell between them that has somehow (no one could possibly guess how!) made its way here. As usual.

Why is it we only hear “black lives matter” when a white person is involved? When its overwhelmingly black people who murder black people?

• Advertisement

Boy, I sure would love to know what the **** BLM has to do about right-wing extremism rising in Ireland! Seems some people here are desperate to get this thread off its original topic.

Advertisement