Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europol: Ireland hit by surge of ‘right-wing extremism’

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭BarnardsLoop

just to gauge how to respond correctly, where on the political spectrum do you see BLM and them burning down buildings and statues ? are they worth ignoring ?

We're not talking about BLM, we're talking about Ireland and that burning down a hotel that was to be used to house refugees is an example of right-wing extremism.

And your condoning of it. Though I think we all know why that is, of course.
    gibsmedat wrote: »
    There are no far right extremists in Ireland. This is just a conspiracy theory.

You should probably get onto Europol and our own authorities, then, I'm sure they'll be delighted to see whatever evidence you have. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭gibsmedat

We're not talking about BLM, we're talking about Ireland and that burning down a hotel that was to be used to house refugees is an example of right-wing extremism.

You should probably get onto Europol and our own authorities, then, I'm sure they'll be delighted to see whatever evidence you have. :pac:

How many children have the far right butchered and maimed for life in Ireland?

Zero

While the acceptable left wing terrorist vermin have killed and maimed 100s of kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

were talking about is burning down an empty building because you aren't being listened to ever justified.

Ive seen your posts on other threads in relation to BLM , all of them suggesting theres only an issue with this burning and it being called 'extremist' because it didn't fit an agenda.

The people of that village weren't being heard, a Dublin centric government was trying to railroad in people who shouldn't be here and are culturally incompatible with Ireland. Im usually the first one to condemn property destruction but in this case I think they were left in a position where this was the only action they could see that would make their wishes respected.

The right-wing being extreme...I stand aghast.

We're quite lucky that the current ringleaders are operating little more than a carnival at present and are resoundingly rejected by the Irish electorate each time they run at local, national or European level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

The right-wing being extreme...I stand aghast.

We're quite lucky that the current ringleaders are operating little more than a carnival at present and are resoundingly rejected by the Irish electorate each time they run at local, national or European level.

Don't forget though they're the silent majority. They'll win it big someday.

• Advertisement

While the acceptable left wing terrorist vermin have killed and maimed 100s of kids.

Okay, this is genuinely funny so I'm going to indulge you: what "left wing terrorist vermin" are you talking about? Could it be the IRA? Which is more of a separatist organisation, really.

Plus if we're talking about the IRA then we're talking about Northern Ireland which has oodles of right-wing terrorist groups (UVA, UVF, UDA, etc.).
    were talking about is burning down an empty building because you aren't being listened to ever justified.

Ive seen your posts on other threads in relation to BLM , all of them suggesting theres only an issue with this burning and it being called 'extremist' because it didn't fit an agenda.

You do know my post history is publicly viewable, right? Anyone can see you're telling pathetic lies here. Because without even checking, I know offhand that I've not once commented on buildings being burned in the US.

C'mon, sunshine, you're going to have to try just a little harder than that.

And once again: the subject of this thread is right-wing extremism here, in Ireland. If you want to talk about the US, go make your own thread.
    The people of that village weren't being heard, a Dublin centric government was trying to railroad in people who shouldn't be here and are culturally incompatible with Ireland. Im usually the first one to condemn property destruction but in this case I think they were left in a position where this was the only action they could see that would make their wishes respected.

Okay, you're happy to condone violence and intimidation when it's in pursuit of an extremist position you support. Thanks for further demonstrating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

How many children have the far right butchered and maimed for life in Ireland?

Zero

There is no acceptable left wing terrorism. What examples are there of people condoning terrorist murders.

Oh wait! I didn't even notice the username of one of the people I'm responding to. For those curious: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gibsmedat
    (derogatory, slang) a supposed mentality of entitlement stereotypically associated with African-American culture

I'm sure someone with such a username isn't possibly racist!

joe40 wrote: »
    There is no acceptable left wing terrorism. What examples are there of people condoning terrorist murders.

our president commemorating a communist tyrant, the controversial plan for a Che Guevara statue in galway, PbP glifying maduro in Venezuela protesting against US intervention. Every protest having somebody waving a soviet flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

our president commemorating a communist tyrant, the controversial plan for a Che Guevara statue in galway, PbP glifying maduro in Venezuela protesting against US intervention. Every protest having somebody waving a soviet flag.

Well if you're going to cast the net that wide I'll include the literally 1000s killed and maimed by US wars in middle east, Vietnam etc.

Even with those examples you gave, there would be very little mainstream support in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Has anyone ever been caught for that??If not, then there is no evidence that it was right-wing extremism. Could just as easily have been kids.

I think anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together knows that it's a bit too much of a coincidence when there's a simpler, infinitely more likely explanation. I mean considering that it wasn't the first time it happened, it'd have to be even more coincidental for all of the incidents to have been kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭gibsmedat

Has anyone ever been caught for that??If not, then there is no evidence that it was right-wing extremism. Could just as easily have been kids.

No evidence whatsoever. Same with the shinners car that was burned out,no evidence of Nationalist involvement at all. More likely that the car arson was dissident republicans. Seeing as they are the ones that are threatening the lives of shinners constantly.

https://www.thejournal.ie/fire-leitrim-hotel-asylum-seekers-4489050-Feb2019/

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/direct-provision-i-know-people-see-our-opposition-as-racist-but-we-are-terrified-1.4024188

https://www.thejournal.ie/oughterard-direct-provision-4916153-Dec2019/

I'm sure all of those incidents had absolutely nothing to do with people opposing asylum seekers being housed in those hotels.

Just as I'm sure it was a coincidence that the politician's car was torched right after he happened to condemn the far-right. Nope, couldn't possibly be related to his condemnation.

Keep burying ye're heads in the sand, lads. EDIT: They're gone now so I'll refrain from saying anything further about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

burning down a direct provision centre because nobody in the town its in is being listened to by the government is an a political move. I have no doubt the people who did it have right leaning reservations about unchecked migration but burning it down empty is a lot more moderate than a far right response which would be to burn it down full..

it's far right and criminal damage.
    the trash responsible should be in jail for it.

the people were listened to, they couldn't formulate a proper argument which is their own fault, the centres have to go somewhere after all.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

joe40 wrote: »
    Well if you're going to cast the net that wide I'll include the literally 1000s killed and maimed by US wars in middle east, Vietnam etc.

Even with those examples you gave, there would be very little mainstream support in Ireland.

The vietnam war is not the oendulum swing to the atrocities of communism be it the US has never been a far right dictatorship nor killed anywhere near the number of innocent people that communism has

Here's another one. Absolutely astonishing that racist bull**** like that is allowed on the site, frankly. What the hell happened here over the years?

Time after time after time they're all over this forum, crying about Dublin and not one of them can provide a single shred of evidence to back their bogus claims up. Though I will say I'm the enjoying the irony of our resident racist scumbags spreading their ****e on a thread about the rise of right-wing extremism. You couldn't ****ing make it up.

You need to calm down. Coming across as way too angry and emotionally invested. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with any of your opinions, but you're not going to change anyone's views posting rants like this.

Go focus on something else for a while. This won't do you any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭wildeside

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/europol-ireland-hit-by-surge-of-right-wing-extremism-1007037.html

At the very least, I'd love to hear the arguments as to why bloody Europol is wrong about this or how they might have some kind of "leftist agenda".

With respect I think you're debating a misrepresented issue. Nowhere in the report does Europol say anything about a "surge" of right-wing activitiy in Ireland or anything that could be characterised as such.

At least I can't find anything but I could genuinely be missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

https://www.thejournal.ie/fire-leitrim-hotel-asylum-seekers-4489050-Feb2019/

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/direct-provision-i-know-people-see-our-opposition-as-racist-but-we-are-terrified-1.4024188

https://www.thejournal.ie/oughterard-direct-provision-4916153-Dec2019/

I'm sure all of those incidents had absolutely nothing to do with people opposing asylum seekers being housed in those hotels.

Just as I'm sure it was a coincidence that the politician's car was torched right after he happened to condemn the far-right. Nope, couldn't possibly be related to his condemnation.

Keep burying ye're heads in the sand, lads. EDIT: They're gone now so I'll refrain from saying anything further about them.

Any arrests made for any of them? If not, we have no idea of the reason behind any of them. No matter how much you scweam and stamp your feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I remember the good old days when left wing was synonymous with common sense.

Islamic ideology is absolutely against Western liberal values.

Feminists and Anti-Fascists would not fare well in an Islamic country for instance yet these are the kind of people guilting the rest of us into submission. They far left will not be happy until our society collapses

I recommend reading or listening to Sam Harris on the topic.

Here's a sensible left wing view:

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2020/06/25/pers-j24.html

The attacks on the statues are the outcome of a campaign by the two capitalist parties and various reactionary elements in the upper-middle class to racialize and communalize American politics. The growing intensity of this campaign is a response to the upsurge of working-class militancy, which is seen as a threat to capitalism. Far from welcoming the interracial unity displayed in the demonstrations against police brutality, the ruling elites and most affluent sections of the middle class are terrified by its political implications.

In the promotion of racial politics, there is a division of labor between the Democratic and Republican parties. Trump and the Republicans pitch their appeal to the most politically disoriented elements in American society, manipulating their economic insecurities in a manner intended to incite racial antagonism and deflect social anger away from the capitalist system.

The Democratic Party employs another variant of communalist politics, evaluating and explaining all social problems and conflicts in racial terms. Whatever the particular issue may be—poverty, police brutality, unemployment, low wages, deaths caused by the pandemic—it is almost exclusively defined in racial terms. In this racialized fantasy world, “whites” are endowed with an innate “privilege” that exempts them from all hardship.

That's the rump American communist party, as far as I know.

Anyway, despite all of the blather about caring about brown and black lives the US is still killing millions of brown people every decade, overturning stable arab nationalist regimes and replacing them with slave states, and supporting the annexation of the West bank. Not a riot, not a protest, not even a strongly worded letter.

• Advertisement

Those arson attacks were right wingers of course, but why are we putting asylum seekers into the the poorest and remotest parts of Ireland and not in richer parts of Dublin where they could have access to better resources?

Are there a glut of hotels in the richer parts of Dublin that're currently sitting unused and as such, are perfect for housing groups of people? Kind of makes sense that poorer and/or more remote areas would have such facilities not in use and owners who'd be more than happy about—as I'm sure is the case—receiving some kind of stipend for doing so.

It's not the most ideal situation, sure, but I'd say it's more a result of convenience, rather than anything else. Not as if the state hasn't a history of outsourcing such matters to private interests, after all.

Are there a glut of hotels in the richer parts of Dublin that're currently sitting unused and as such, are perfect for housing groups of people?.

Right now, yes. But cost is a an excuse. Putting DP, and halting sites, in poor areas exacerbates poverty and pressurizes resources.

Hey, I won't argue with that! But if I were to be cynical, how many of these areas form large enough voting blocs that TDs need to care about them? Unused hotels present a politically expedient option. Personally, I don't believe it's anything more nefarious than that.

Negligent? Yes. Malicious? No. If there's a problem here, it's nothing more than the myopia that plagues any government with limited term times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

FVP3 wrote: »
    Those arson attacks were right wingers of course, but why are we putting asylum seekers into the the poorest and remotest parts of Ireland and not in richer parts of Dublin where they could have access to better resources?
    I don't know if it is why they were closed, but I recall a lot of right wingers complaining it was a waste of 'premium real estate' that should be out to better use rather than 'wasted on refugees'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Honestly the Irish media is not really savvy enough to investigate anything more important than some local road has a pothole.

Infiltrated by terrorists?

The right has been infiltrated by terrorists. There are some on boards who express far right opinions. There are some who even express wishes to commit violence on travelers etc. They usually get banned. But it happens.

We can't see this without realizing they are surging because of the states and the UK etc as well as the fact that we have not dealt well with these issues here. We let people sue RTE and make money out be being homophobes.

Hey, I won't argue with that! But if I were to be cynical, how many of these areas form large enough voting blocs that TDs need to care about them? Unused hotels present a politically expedient option. Personally, I don't believe it's anything more nefarious than that.

Negligent? Yes. Malicious? No. If there's a problem here, it's nothing more than the myopia that plagues any government with limited term times.
    Deportations provide a politically expedient option. Closing borders to begin with provides a politically expedient option

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Deportations provide a politically expedient option. Closing borders to begin with provides a politically expedient option
    But what will the arsonists get to burn then?

pjohnson wrote: »
    But what will the arsonists get to burn then?

The plastic coating off copper wire ? , rubbish ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Nesta2018

Outside of the internet, where discussion forum administrators are happy to allow an ever-increasing number of poisonous little shits to congregate and bore the tits off the rest of us, there hasn't been any significant surge of right-wing extremism in Ireland. It's been a tough few years for the far-right, what with the legalisation of gay marriage and abortion, the electorate's continual march towards the left-of-centre, and the arrival of an increasing number of non-white faces in the country. These angry little gammons are going to become more and more alienated as Ireland continues to change for the better, but the rest of us can sit back and laugh at their impotent rage. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see them getting dangerous. They'd have to leave their bedrooms for that.

You're assuming that all people who have serious concerns about immigration are against gay marriage and abortion, and are "angry little gammons" - you see, that sort of idiotic stereotyping will get you nowhere. I'm an atheist, liberal, feminist woman and part of my concern about immigration is the importation of people whose cultural values are hostile to those of the liberal western values that were so hard fought in Ireland. I am angry that Ireland is now having to prosecute cases of FGM and botched illegal circumcision, and that I see people like Ali Selim given a national platform to argue in favour of FGM, strict segregation of girls and boys at Islamic schools, and permission to opt out of drama and music. I can see children who are already growing up in a parallel society and who are not allowed to mix with kids outside their own group. I would not be surprised if a Rotherham type scandal unfolded because already there is a huge fear of being called a racist if you highlight anything negative about a minority group.

Advertisement