Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to Do With This Hedge!

Options
  • 24-06-2020 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

Hi.

So here is my hedge.

tti9eA5l.jpg

Half of it seems to be dead. How would I deal with this?
    Is it salvageable?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

I can't see from the picture what variety of hedging plants they are.

Most hedging plants will regenerate if cut back severely (this is why they are used for hedges).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Looks like beech . Where them planks of wood covering part of it.? Looks healthy at the top and bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I would feed that hedge to strengthen it.

It looks like it dried out terribly during the drought. Make sure and keep plenty of water to it.

Then research pruning it to encourage it to thicken you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It could just be snowberry, but its impossible to see any real detail of leaves or growth, a better pic would help. My first thought was privet, going on the long stalks at the top, but the leaves don't look quite right. If it is snowberry they are a sprawling weed of a plant which is fine in a wild environment but never looks tidy otherwise. It appears to have partially died back at some stage then frantically produced some new growth in an effort to survive, which suggests it would survive pruning.

You need to establish what it is before deciding how to treat it.

It looks as though it is not happy in the spot where it is, possibly too overshadowed. Without further identification, I would be inclined to cut it right down, past the dead part, clean it out and put some mulch/feed around the roots (not up against the trunk). If it rallies keep it trimmed and under control right from the start - you can allow it to grow taller but trim the tips of the new growth as it does so. If it does not grow again dig it out and start again with something suited to the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Thanks for your input guys.
    I've no idea what it is but here are some better photos.

AfsWTRSl.jpg

FiKYR9ol.jpg

They are a little sheltered by some trees from trees in our own garden and neighbours, but the hedge does get sun.

mpi5So4l.jpg

It's weird, the leaves at the bottom of this stalk are dead, but they are fine at the top.
    TYcNxtBl.jpg

PS: I am a beginner gardener. Result of Covid 19 lockdown.
    But enjoying it much more than i thought i would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, that does look like snowberry. Have you seen the large white berries on it? (Poisonous). They are a rather scruffy, rampaging, vigorously suckering shrub that tends to grow wider than it does high. You might be advised to look along the bottom of the bush and find the old wood and cut it out, and leave new suckers to replace them, they do grow in a tangle. Its quite likely that there are also other things mixed in there - the tall shoots growing out of the top could be privet, they are a bit high for snowberry. The snowberry leaf has a few variations though so its hard to tell. You also have a young ash tree.

On balance you can do pretty much what you want, if it is snowberry or privet it will be hard to kill it - if you cut it down and dig the roots you are still likely to find odd suckers coming. Its a good hedge to practise on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

looksee wrote: »
    Yes, that does look like snowberry. Have you seen the large white berries on it? (Poisonous). They are a rather scruffy, rampaging, vigorously suckering shrub that tends to grow wider than it does high. You might be advised to look along the bottom of the bush and find the old wood and cut it out, and leave new suckers to replace them, they do grow in a tangle. Its quite likely that there are also other things mixed in there - the tall shoots growing out of the top could be privet, they are a bit high for snowberry. The snowberry leaf has a few variations though so its hard to tell. You also have a young ash tree.

On balance you can do pretty much what you want, if it is snowberry or privet it will be hard to kill it - if you cut it down and dig the roots you are still likely to find odd suckers coming. Its a good hedge to practise on!

Spot on, bit of a relic of Victorian times like Leycesteria, no Privet that i can see but yes an Ash and Honeysuckle in your hand.
    Suffering from drought but will recover fine, berries are lovely but are rarely seen due to Summer trimming, a good prune over Winter are all they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I've lived here for 21 months....i don't think i've ever seen white berries on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

IMO snowberry makes an untidy unsatisfactory hedge. It wants to sucker all day long and outgrow it's space while never really being a solid hedge/boundary. Small thorns and whispish growth but the white berries are ornate, I'd be in there like a MF digging out what I can....a mattock a good job to go at the stubborn roots. It's a persistent old pest to get rid of but clearing out the re-emerging growth will be handy enough till a replacement hedge will thicken out and take hold.

Advertisement