Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

holes from picture hooks and painting

• 24-06-2020 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I removed a few of these from a wall this a few weeks ago.

51ML3TCI%2BNL._AC_SX425_.jpg

All took some plaster with them except one.That one left three small pin holes and a small dent in the plaster from pulling it.

I can't figure out how to apply the polyfilla so that it removes the dent and goes into the small holes.

As it the way of such things it within the screen area for a projector. I'm using just the wall to begin with (will be painting it white) and getting a screen later if the wall is not good enough.

I don't think the dent would be a problem but I think the holes will.

Or would the dent and the pines covered by the paint?

On another part of the wall there are a couple of patches of from where the current paint got pulled off. What do I do so that those patches show up with the next paint? I thought of just getting a small brush from an art set and giving each patch a coat but I don't have the skill to paint with the patch an match it to the rest.

It isn't a big deal but I would like to know how to do it.

What is the best way to clean walls? There are a lot of marks on the stair and sitting room walls. I don't what they are from - faded dirty streaks like some was finger painting.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

any pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭WastedYouth

J.R. wrote: »
    any pictures?

Of the marks on the walls?

Edit : sorry I just saw that the photo of the hook is not in my post

I'm not at home so I just used a picture from google

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Put on with a trowel and force into the holes leave proud then sand down. Rince repeat if your sanding reveals any imperfections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

If you have a depression, without breakage of the plaster, sand it well. Apply filler with a knife wider than the depression. Push the filler into the depression and scrape the knife over the top. When dry, repeat. A light sand and you will end up with a perfectly filled area

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

As doc says that will do, the only problem I ever found with same was sometimes due to the years of multiple paint coats on walls the wall surface had taken on a roughish textured appearance. So my new smooth as a baby bottom plaster repair would stand out anywhere near natural light . I tried rough sand paper but the eagle eyed would allways spot the smooth transition on the repair between original wall and the repaired patch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

As doc says that will do, the only problem I ever found with same was sometimes due to the years of multiple paint coats on walls the wall surface had taken on a roughish textured appearance. So my new smooth as a baby bottom plaster repair would stand out anywhere near natural light . I tried rough sand paper but the eagle eyed would allways spot the smooth transition on the repair between original wall and the repaired patch.

Use find sandpaper to feather out the repair as best you can then use a medium pile roller when painting- this will leave a fine "orange peel" like texture which should help to blend the overall wall surface into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Use find sandpaper to feather out the repair as best you can then use a medium pile roller when painting- this will leave a fine "orange peel" like texture which should help to blend the overall wall surface into one.

Thanks jack. Thats exactly the look of painted walls "orange peel" Nice tip ill try it out next time im doing some painting Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭WastedYouth

I've read that walls should be washed with sugar soap.

I forgot to buy some and really need to get a start on the room today.

The room is very dusty and I would lie to give it a good clean before painting.

All I have is anti-bacterial spray (Dettol with lemon I think). Is this okay to use?

Advertisement