Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not enough sockets

Options
  • 24-06-2020 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I think I have asked about this before but I cannot find a thread.

The room in question only has a double wall socket.

I need more.

I know there is a way to add a second wall by connecting to the existing outlet but I don't like messing with old electric. So I thought I would get two 4 gang extension leads and fix them neat and tidy to the wall.

Is there a limit to how any devices I can use at once this way? Or a limit how many things can be plugged but not in use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

I think I have asked about this before but I cannot find a thread.

The room in question only has a double wall socket.

I need more.

I know there is a way to add a second wall by connecting to the existing outlet but I don't like messing with old electric. So I thought I would get two 4 gang extension leads and fix them neat and tidy to the wall.

Is there a limit to how any devices I can use at once this way? Or a limit how many things can be plugged but not in use?

Extension lead plugs will usually have a 13A or 10A fuse thats your limit however if you are concerned about messing with old electrics you should also be concerned about fully loading them. Not uncommon for old sockets to be wired to lighting circuits in 1.5mm singles with no earth so I would at least open the socket and see whats there.

If you are going down that route, do buy a decent extension lean not some tesco masterplug ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

I am not sure of regs but from a practical view I would say ok to do as you propose provived that you use the extension lead for small loads , charging phones and the like. Not for plugging in a heater. Just my view, others may differ

• Registered Users Posts: 28,598 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Regardless of the age of the system I personally would not plug kettles, heaters, iron, or anything that draws any amount of power from an extension cable. If you (and whoever else is in the house) don't have this in-built caution I would suggest avoiding extension cables. I do have a number of them around the house but they are only used for casual lights, recharging etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭WastedYouth

looksee wrote: »
    Regardless of the age of the system I personally would not plug kettles, heaters, iron, or anything that draws any amount of power from an extension cable. If you (and whoever else is in the house) don't have this in-built caution I would suggest avoiding extension cables. I do have a number of them around the house but they are only used for casual lights, recharging etc.

Do you mean xBox, computers, AppleTV and that should never be plug into extension leads?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Do you mean xBox, computers, AppleTV and that should never be plug into extension leads?

Depends on the current draw. It's written somewhere on the device.

• Advertisement

Extension lead plugs will usually have a 13A or 10A fuse thats your limit however if you are concerned about messing with old electrics you should also be concerned about fully loading them. Not uncommon for old sockets to be wired to lighting circuits in 1.5mm singles with no earth so I would at least open the socket and see whats there.

If you are going down that route, do buy a decent extension lean not some tesco masterplug ****e.

I was going to get decent extension leads and I wouldn't have a load of things going at once but it seems like maybe extension leads should not be used at all for what I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,462 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No, poster looksee said that you shouldn't be using an extension lead for high-power devices, especially things that generate heat....
    Regardless of the age of the system I personally would not plug kettles, heaters, iron, or anything that draws any amount of power from an extension cable.

Which is 100% correct because any appliance which involves heat will be drawing a fair amount of current and is not suitable for use with an extension lead. An electric kettle alone is capable of drawing the full complement of 13 amps. Plug in anything else at the same time and you'll probably blow the (13A) fuse in the plug.
    I was going to get decent extension leads and I wouldn't have a load of things going at once but it seems like maybe extension leads should not be used at all for what I need.

You mentioned gadgets like Apple TV, that is all solid state (no moving parts) so it draws very little current, the first generation model claims to draw max. 0.3A. Meaning that it's an excellent candidate for connection via an extension lead.

I use an extension lead but as a precaution, I changed the 13A fuse in the plug to 5A. Which forces me to only only use it to plug in low power appliances.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Extension leads are a temporary solution. It’s one thing using a 4 way block behind the tv as when it’s inaccessible your unlikely to use it for random things but plugging them in and then using them as sockets is quite another thing. You’ll almost inevitably end up putting in things over the years that shouldn’t be there. They tend to have smaller cores and it’s possible depending on the load to not blow the fuse but start to have the lead heat up. A 13 amp fuse won’t blow on a circuit using 10 amps but if you are using that 10 amps in an ongoing manner it’s possible for the cable to heat up and start to deteriorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,462 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

salmocab wrote: »
    A 13 amp fuse won’t blow on a circuit using 10 amps but if you are using that 10 amps in an ongoing manner it’s possible for the cable to heat up and start to deteriorate.

Anyone who connects almost 2.5 kW worth of appliances via an extension lead deserves to suffer the consequences.

coylemj wrote: »
    Anyone who connects almost 2.5 kW worth of appliances via an extension lead deserves to suffer the consequences.

The problem is it will work fine, initially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,598 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its not really a matter of 'deserving to suffer the consequences' its more about giving reasonable answers to a reasonable question.

coylemj wrote: »

What is with the aggression?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Bit of a mad thing to say! You hope someone’s house blows up cause they overloaded a plug! Most of us havnt a clue about thing like loads on an extension lead. I use 1 or 2 in the house so thought I’d read this thread and get some good advice but I still don’t have a clue what’s a safe limit on them.

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Bit of a mad thing to say! You hope someone’s house blows up cause they overloaded a plug! Most of us havnt a clue about thing like loads on an extension lead. I use 1 or 2 in the house so thought I’d read this thread and get some good advice but I still don’t have a clue what’s a safe limit on them.

As I said in my post they are only for a temporary solution, I’d say if your using it for much more than behind your tv then you need to have a good think about what your doing and what your using.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

As I said in my post they are only for a temporary solution, I’d say if your using it for much more than behind your tv then you need to have a good think about what your doing and what your using.

Millions of people use extension leads in their homes.

There's probably 10 in my own house, with all sorts connected to them.

So long as you don't have heaters or energy intensive appliances on them, you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

If I got an electrician in to add more sockets to a room what would be the correct way of him doing it.

Its not really a matter of 'deserving to suffer the consequences' its more about giving reasonable answers to a reasonable question.

Thank you for setting me straight.

I was going with extension leads for the convenience but maybe there is no need for a lot of sockets.

I wouldn't be using the AppleTV, computer and xBox at the same time anyway and my Apple devices can charge over night. I should probably get in the habit of unplugging the projector when it is not in use.

Are the two and three way adapter plugs also for occasional use like extension leads?

Extension leads are a temporary solution. It’s one thing using a 4 way block behind the tv as when it’s inaccessible your unlikely to use it for random things but plugging them in and then using them as sockets is quite another thing. You’ll almost inevitably end up putting in things over the years that shouldn’t be there. They tend to have smaller cores and it’s possible depending on the load to not blow the fuse but start to have the lead heat up. A 13 amp fuse won’t blow on a circuit using 10 amps but if you are using that 10 amps in an ongoing manner it’s possible for the cable to heat up and start to deteriorate.

I googled to educate myself further as I was surprised is okay for a TV. There was a 4 gang extension lead for mothers television for a long long time with DVD players, etc. so I was wondering where we just lucky nothing happened.

So a TV, game console, computer and AppleTVv would be okay on an extension lead?

Heaters and kettles must be plugged into a wall socket? I'm just now remembering that I've seen my father use a fan heater with an extension lead many times.

I googled to educate myself further as I was surprised is okay for a TV. There was a 4 gang extension lead for mothers television for a long long time with DVD players, etc. so I was wondering where we just lucky nothing happened.

So a TV, game console, computer and AppleTVv would be okay on an extension lead?

Heaters and kettles must be plugged into a wall socket? I'm just now remembering that I've seen my father use a fan heater with an extension lead many times.

To be fair I didn’t say a tv was okay I said it was one thing meaning it’s a light load and as it’s generally hidden behind the tv it’s unlikely to have extra stuff plugged in randomly. Everything should be plugged in to a wall outlet and extension leads should only be used as temporary solutions.
    Leads can overheat without blowing fuses and potentially cause fires (as can all electrical appliances but leads increase the likelihood).

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

For optimum results on your electronics such as the television and games console or computer I recommend investing in a Tachima extension lead has loads of capacitors and mains conditioners built in to eliminate surge and white noise or hum from a fridge,
    I have three of them fitted in my house; two in the attic and one in the bedroom for the computer
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacima-6-Way-Mains-Conditioner-black/dp/B00UB0G4DQ/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=ox_sc_saved_image_5&smid=AUZ0UI5B0E1XK

I've also used Brennenstuhl Premium socket extension leads which also have RF shield and surge protection
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brennenstuhl-Premium-Line-extension-protection-switch-Black/dp/B003BIFLXO/ref=sr_1_19?crid=1JDXT3EX3OPNZ&dchild=1&keywords=brennenstuhl+extension+lead&qid=1593350682&sprefix=Brenn%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-19

Both items are featured in my home improvement thread here:
    https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

LenWoods wrote: »
    For optimum results on your electronics such as the television and games console or computer I recommend investing in a Tachima extension lead has loads of capacitors and mains conditioners built in to eliminate surge and white noise or hum from a fridge,
    I have three of them fitted in my house; two in the attic and one in the bedroom for the computer
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacima-6-Way-Mains-Conditioner-black/dp/B00UB0G4DQ/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=ox_sc_saved_image_5&smid=AUZ0UI5B0E1XK

I've also used Brennenstuhl Premium socket extension leads which also have RF shield and surge protection
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brennenstuhl-Premium-Line-extension-protection-switch-Black/dp/B003BIFLXO/ref=sr_1_19?crid=1JDXT3EX3OPNZ&dchild=1&keywords=brennenstuhl+extension+lead&qid=1593350682&sprefix=Brenn%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-19

I’ve read your thread. Epic amount of quality work. Hats off my man!

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    I’ve read your thread. Epic amount of quality work. Hats off my man!

Thanks very much, for the tv installs i spent alot of time measuring for cables creating a list then purchasing everything required; took about six months to get everything together limited by funds more than delivery times, then took a week holidays from work to install, bought the Samsung televisions from LaptopsDirect was difficult to source 32" televisions with three HDMI sockets but I got there in the end, is handy with the smartthings app i can mirror and control all televisions in the house.

Thanks very much, for the tv installs i spent alot of time measuring for cables creating a list then purchasing everything required; took about six months to get everything together limited by funds more than delivery times, then took a week holidays from work to install, bought the Samsung televisions from LaptopsDirect was difficult to source 32" televisions with three HDMI sockets but I got there in the end, is handy with the smartthings app i can mirror and control all televisions in the house.

Just by the by is your username from the shop that used to be on the long mile road?

Just by the by is your username from the shop that used to be on the long mile road?

Not aware of the shop; only driven that way a few times I'm a chemical process operator manufacturing active ingredients for pharmaceuticals.
    "Im Just an ordinary fella" as my dad would say lol

Not aware of the shop; only driven that way a few times I'm a chemical process operator manufacturing active ingredients for pharmaceuticals.
    "Im Just an ordinary fella" as my dad would say lol

Ah grand, it used to be a wholesalers it’s gone a good while I think but there was a communications company that broke away from it that still makes leads and such so I wondered was it because of that. Anyway going off topic.

Thank you.

You mention a fridge. Is a mini fridge okay to plug into one of those extension leads?

Thank you.

You mention a fridge. Is a mini fridge okay to plug into one of those extension leads?

Yeah but the type of extension socket that it is;
    It's designed to filter out interference from such devices as fridges and heaters to aid or improve the Quality of audio and video equipment by eliminating white noise.

Best results if you could plug the fridge into a separate socket and your electronics in to the tachima extension
    Thus way the electronic items remain filtered.

Ultimately no issue atall in plugging the fridge in to it but in doing so; your going to lose some of the extension leads advantages.

Yeah but the type of extension socket that it is;
    It's designed to filter out interference from such devices as fridges and heaters to aid or improve the Quality of audio and video equipment by eliminating white noise.

Best results if you could plug the fridge into a separate socket and your electronics in to the tachima extension
    Thus way the electronic items remain filtered.

Ultimately no issue atall in plugging the fridge in to it but in doing so; your going to lose some of the extension leads advantages.

Do you mean plug a fridge into a completely different wall socket or just not into the same tachima extension as the projector, AppleTV, etc.

Do you mean plug a fridge into a completely different wall socket or just not into the same tachima extension as the projector, AppleTV, etc.

Not in to the same Tachima;
    Because the Tachima filters out electronic disturbances caused by devices such as heaters and fridges,
    If the wall has a double socket; plugging in a fridge and the tachima is fine

But plugging a heater or fridge in to the tachima will sort of defeat its purpose or impact on its potential.

My main reason for linking it in the first place was that it is a high quality multi socket adapter which can be trusted,

• Advertisement

Not in to the same Tachima;
    Because the Tachima filters out electronic disturbances caused by devices such as heaters and fridges,
    If the wall has a double socket; plugging in a fridge and the tachima is fine

But plugging a heater or fridge in to the tachima will sort of defeat its purpose or impact on its potential.

My main reason for linking it in the first place was that it is a high quality multi socket adapter which can be trusted,

Thank you.

Advertisement