Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vinyl help!

• 24-06-2020 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hey folks

So my sister went and bought a turntable for her husband and did little to no research on the topic. And so it now falls to me to fix the situation even though I haven’t a clue.

She bought this for him https://www.hifihut.ie/pro-ject-primary-e-turntable-black.html

Through my own bit of research I now know she needs a phono preamp and active speakers. I was wondering would this do https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082DHWSRD/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_api_i_bGj8EbFB72C6Q

Is preamp built into those speakers?? Or would she still need to buy a preamp. Anyone got suggestions for speakers with preamp? Or any advice whatsoever please, I’d really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Your research is correct, but there's no phono preamp in those speakers.
    You can buy a standalone phono preamp (plenty on Amazon, of varying price/quality, but something basic will do the job), and go from the turntable to that to any set of powered speakers, including the ones in your link.

Alternatively, you can buy an amp with built-in phono preamp, and regular (not powered) speakers.
    You may even have an old stereo knocking about the house with phono input, which would get you up and running.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

noby wrote: »

Alternatively, you can buy an amp with built-in phono preamp, and regular (not powered) speakers.

I would personally recommend this route as it is the most versatile and will probably give you the best sound if you get half decent components.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Johnnymac706

Well thanks for that folks. I appreciate it. Would ye mind recommending an amp with built in phono preamp and regular speakers please? Budget would be up the 150 euro roughly.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Advertisement