Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Isn’t that a lovely farm.

• 24-06-2020 8:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭

The 1000 acre one for sale in Offaly. All in one block.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Ballinla Farm, Edenderry, Co. Offally - 1,090 acres

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK3QeFlqNyY&t=115s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭kerryjack

It's a rare one alright might do euro millions this weekend. Will it stay in one block or will a few lads come together to buy it. Some large dairy men coming together to form companies will probably go for it. Any more links who owned it history of the place and price tag for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Jasus, that is one clean looking set up.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

The independent said the farm will likely go for €10 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It looks like one of those large tillage farms you'd see for sale in the UK. Very neat. Not a bit of baling twine or bale netting to be seen anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Probably not a living thing of wildlife bar a few crows able to survive on that.
    Those type of hyper intensively managed farms are wildlife deserts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Savage looking farm but will probably take 10/13 million to buy it and then if converting to dairy another 3 million proably will be a very limited customer base at that sort of money .....might do the euro millions tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Probably not a living thing of wildlife bar a few crows able to survive on that.
    Those type of hyper intensively managed farms are wildlife deserts.

Do a bit of research there’s about 250 acres of forestry in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I'm not a farmer and know next to nothing about farming, and in the nicest way possible usually have zero interest in it. I looked at that video and now I want to be a farmer :cool::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Do a bit of research there’s about 250 acres of forestry in it

Pity its all coniferous. Won't be buying it now ;-)
    No sign of machinery bar the 3 JDs in the yard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If the neighbours were willing to rent land longterm to me, I'd go for it, make it a real setup.

Until then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ShedTower

A Sheikh bought a 217ac farm in the same area in 2003 for €4.2m and a 90ac farm in the area in 2018 for €1.1m. Pocket change for those boys.

What would a Sheikh be doing with it? Would they lease it out to someone or get appoint a manager to run the farm on their behalf?
    If the latter, with an absentee owner with little to no knowledge or interest in what is happening on the farm and more money than they know what to do with, I'd imagine they could end up taking advantage, possibly end up running a type of Sgt Bilko type operation renting out the farms equipment, renting out sheds, making money from themselves and doing the bear minimum with the actual farming part of it.

Perhaps they would scheme to run it into debt in the hopes that it'll be put back up for sale and they might be able to a slice of the pie along with other locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ShedTower

What would a Sheikh be doing with it? Would they lease it out to someone or get appoint a manager to run the farm on their behalf?
    If the latter, with an absentee owner with little to no knowledge or interest in what is happening on the farm and more money than they know what to do with, I'd imagine they could end up taking advantage, possibly end up running a type of Sgt Bilko type operation renting out the farms equipment, renting out sheds, making money from themselves and doing the bear minimum with the actual farming part of it.

Perhaps they would scheme to run it into debt in the hopes that it'll be put back up for sale and they might be able to a slice of the pie along with other locals.

A stud farm. Horses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The Chinese have it bought already. :pac:

Ah who'd want land in Offaly?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Might suit some lad with a helicopter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Even if I did win the lotto - I'd be like the dog chasing the car, I wouldn't know how to drive it.

Here's something to be drooling over.

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/mediamaster-s3eu/e/b/ebce85ba0a7e5ec1ef574c442e937ef2.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's just about big enough to be a full-time drystock farm. It would be a great farm with about 7-800 mainly friesian bullocks, 100-120 acres of mostly barley and a bit of wheat. 5 acres of forestry harvested each year along with thinning 100k/ year.

Jayus I suppose you lose money🙄🙄

Slava Ukrainii

If a rich farmer got a small poor place he'd starve.

If the small fellow got a big place, he would work himself to death

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

It's just about big enough to be a full-time drystock farm. It would be a great farm with about 7-800 mainly friesian bullocks, 100-120 acres of mostly barley and a bit of wheat. 5 acres of forestry harvested each year along with thinning 100k/ year.

Jayus I suppose you lose money🙄🙄

If only Bass, maybe hire a few young fella's to herd the stock and feed during the winter. I could spend a few days a week around the ring and enjoy an occasional overnight at some distant special bullock sale. You'd be every mart managers friend and you could even practice some of that hard selling craic that the journal is always promoting. A new land cruiser every 5 years and all the boy's toys you could think of. It would never last but there'd be some great times when it was going good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

The Government smiling on this one with €600k stamp duty if it makes €10 million.

Whoever will pay the €10m+ for it honestly is a fool, his sons sons or grandsons won't make a penny back on it for years, less so if it is debt funded. €10m into houses and apartments in Dublin will yield 5% to 7% annually in rental income and you would never need to lift a finger only appoint a rental management company. Only an ego driven bull mccabe type mentality would buy this especially considering the spectacular speed the economy is totally collapsing. The owners are smart to sell this now and could probably buy it back in 10-12 years time for much less than they will get this year. Once the Mercosur deal is finalised which it will then holdings like this will look like mere allotments compared to Brazil. The EU will destroy farming and people need to wake up to the fact of what is coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

theguzman wrote: »
    The Government smiling on this one with €600k stamp duty if it makes €10 million.

Whoever will pay the €10m+ for it honestly is a fool, his sons sons or grandsons won't make a penny back on it for years, less so if it is debt funded. €10m into houses and apartments in Dublin will yield 5% to 7% annually in rental income and you would never need to lift a finger only appoint a rental management company. Only an ego driven bull mccabe type mentality would buy this especially considering the spectacular speed the economy is totally collapsing. The owners are smart to sell this now and could probably buy it back in 10-12 years time for much less than they will get this year. Once the Mercosur deal is finalised which it will then holdings like this will look like mere allotments compared to Brazil. The EU will destroy farming and people need to wake up to the fact of what is coming.

I'll be amazed if any real farmer buys this place

I would say the chances are it will be Coolmore (because they like buying land, especially big places), the Comers (who i believe have become very active in the land market in recent times) or a Sheik with more oil money than he knows what to do with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Glanbia will buy it and show us all how to farm profitably while paying wages and and land costs on the milk price they pay, oh wait...............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Danzy wrote: »
    If a rich farmer got a small poor place he'd starve.

If the small fellow got a big place, he would work himself to death

I remember reading an article years ago in the farmers journal i think it was, he said if the farmers in west Clare were given good land they'd feed the world with the work it takes to keep bad land

On another note, how much an acre would you get to.plant hardwood in it, thats what id probably do with it :pac:

That is what I would do with it too. Plant it with native tress and claim the higher rates for it and leave it off to nature.

If farmed as a drystock farm, with tillage used on the farm and adding in forestry returns you be at or near 5%. 5-7% returned on housing is including costs. I prefer to be looking after a farm rather than 30ish houses all.pver Dublin.

Slava Ukrainii

You'd be surprised how many lads have that much land. There was a farmer not too far from here that left each of his sons over 1000 acres when he died. He had a lot of sons too.

Yeah I've a few neighbours at that scale.

If a 3 legged pup was fit for sale, they would be talked about as buying it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

only 20 minutes from the curragh so id say itll go for a stud farm. There was another big farm on the kildare (good) side of the town sold a few years ago too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭mayota

You’ve walked it haven’t ya? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

They are buying land everywhere.

https://youtu.be/yhrIUOxp_8M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I’ve a neighbour with 400 acres in west Clare in about 9/10 farms. Vet follows him for the day doing tb test.

Another neighbour spread fertiliser for him- 14ton and covered every inch of the place. Took him 3 days and he said you could count the grains coming out of the spreader.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

mayota wrote: »
    You’ve walked it haven’t ya? 😂

A local auctioneer told me he could judge a prospective buyer from a time waster in a matter of minutes once they started walking the farm. If a lad said anything much positive about it or praised it then he was usually only out to pass the day and have a good nose around to see what was there. The lad that ran it down a bit, thought it was drier, had better shed's ect and said that it didn't really suit him was almost always the one to put in a reasonable offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Maybe yer right but my father, who is dead 20 years was at the first auction in Ireland that land made 100 pounds an acre. The men in the crowd were saying “how will farming ever pay for it”. “ he’s a mad man, more money than brains”. It was farmed and paid for. Eu policy will change from decade to decade. We may be in for a decade of green agenda policies, some nonsense, some justified. When it’s race is run policy might just swing back to commercial agriculture and a place like this could be exactly what people are looking for. It could be worth 3 times its value. Agriculture isn’t doomed. It’s needed. It’s just at the start of a rough patch and will become profitable again some time.
    Good luck to the pluck man that buys it and his sons sons or grandsons. May they have a happy life and prosper
    Ps there aren’t to many fools with €10million+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Cattlepen wrote: »
    Maybe yer right but my father, who is dead 20 years was at the first auction in Ireland that land made 100 pounds an acre. The men in the crowd were saying “how will farming ever pay for it”. “ he’s a mad man, more money than brains”. It was farmed and paid for. Eu policy will change from decade to decade. We may be in for a decade of green agenda policies, some nonsense, some justified. When it’s race is run policy might just swing back to commercial agriculture and a place like this could be exactly what people are looking for. It could be worth 3 times its value. Agriculture isn’t doomed. It’s needed. It’s just at the start of a rough patch and will become profitable again some time.
    Good luck to the pluck man that buys it and his sons sons or grandsons. May they have a happy life and prosper

You're the bull, you're the bull, you're the Bull!

There's an old saying but it's still true though, "Buy land son, because they ain't making anymore of it".

That farm is fairy tale material and anyone judging a prospective buyer as stupid or ignorant needs to think bigger.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

Cattlepen wrote: »
    Ps there aren’t to many fools with €10million+

People don't need Iphones or a shoite load of other things,, but they do need to eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭QA1

You'd be surprised how many lads have that much land. There was a farmer not too far from here that left each of his sons over 1000 acres when he died. He had a lot of sons too.

Has to be the t c sons

QA1 wrote: »
    Has to be the t c sons

Ah, I don't like mentioning names. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

QA1 wrote: »
    Has to be the t c sons

Was it 7000 acres for 7 sons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

It's a fine farm , i know it well. Drummonds are in there this good few years with their depot there along with FRS.
    The sheik mearns it alright. Though it was often said around that he won't buy land that was ploughed. For whatever reason I don't know.

The sheds and yard actually look small in the video. It's a fine place. Not a thing out of place.

• Advertisement

If farmed as a drystock farm, with tillage used on the farm and adding in forestry returns you be at or near 5%. 5-7% returned on housing is including costs. I prefer to be looking after a farm rather than 30ish houses all.pver Dublin.

It’s also a highly efficient way to transfer assets to the next generation. The inheritance tax bill on that farm would be *tiny compared to the equivalent value in houses.

*provided the easy to meet requirement are done.

It's a fine farm , i know it well. Drummonds are in there this good few years with their depot there along with FRS.
    The sheik mearns it alright. Though it was often said around that he won't buy land that was ploughed. For whatever reason I don't know.

The sheds and yard actually look small in the video. It's a fine place. Not a thing out of place.

it mostly in tillage. grain may have been forward sold just a case of harvesting and getting it into the mill that bought it. Limited pasture you would be more of a manager than a farmer.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

What’s the quality of the land like? Us Tipp lads would be weary of Offaly land, bred into us!!

Although this place looks good now

Panch18 wrote: »
    What’s the quality of the land like? Us Tipp lads would be weary of Offaly land, bred into us!!

You could spit from there to the bog but that land would be good afaik

it mostly in tillage. grain may have been forward sold just a case of harvesting and getting it into the mill that bought it. Limited pasture you would be more of a manager than a farmer.

Yeah , mostly in tillage, all wheat, over 200ac in forestry. They run a flock of sheep too. No cattle there this few years. There used to be a good herd of suckler cows.
    All grain handling and drying facilities there. The take in a lot of grain locally ( for Drummonds) .
    It's ran by the owner and 4 employees ( that I can think of! ) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Whoever buys it is no fool. Great way to transfer an asset to a child.
    Off topic but wonder what land is making at the minute. Not 10k an acre land but middling land. Last land that sold around here made 5k an acre in a private sale two years ago. A sale like that doesn’t make the headlines. Wasn’t what I’d consider bad land either. Would be wet in the winter but was well drained. Wonder will covid make an impact yet.

Panch18 wrote: »

There would be a lot of excellent land. It's bordered on one side by the Grand Canal , up along the canal wouldn't be top quality. That's where the forestry/ pond is. If I was to guess at least 3/4's of it is real quality land.

Any of you that are old enough may remember the ploughing was there in 1985 i think. I may go and check that date . But I think that's it!
    Edit. My mistake. It was 1982.

There would be a lot of excellent land. It's bordered on one side by the Grand Canal , up along the canal wouldn't be top quality. That's where the forestry/ pond is. If I was to guess at least 3/4's of it is real quality land.

Any of you that are old enough may remember the ploughing was there in 1985 i think. I may go and check that date . But I think that's it!
    Edit. My mistake. It was 1982.

Same Yr Séamus Darby stopped the 4 in a row. He had a shop in the town didn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

It a pity none of his children has interest in farming. The owner and family built up a fair farm over the generations. Must be heartbreaking seeing this go after been in them for generations. Best luck to the family in there new venture of life

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Same Yr Séamus Darby stopped the 4 in a row. He had a shop in the town didn't he?

Darby stopped the 5 in a row not 4in a row

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement