Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Isn’t that a lovely farm.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Same Yr Séamus Darby stopped the 4 in a row. He had a shop in the town didn't he?

Sèamus did a lot more than stop 4 in a row. 😩

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Farmer2017 wrote: »
    It a pity none of his children has interest in farming. The owner and family built up a fair farm over the generations. Must be heartbreaking seeing this go after been in them for generations. Best luck to the family in there new venture of life

I'm from a family of 5 brothers, none of us were ever good enough to lace the fathers shoes when it came to farming the few acres he has.
    At least in this case(if I'm reading it right), the farm is being sold to divvy up between however many siblings. Right thing to do if there's no want in farming it within the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Same Yr Séamus Darby stopped the 4 in a row. He had a shop in the town didn't he?

He stopped the 5 in row.
    Yeah, Darby Decor. Around where Groome's butchers is in the square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I'm from a family of 5 brothers, none of us were ever good enough to lace the fathers shoes when it came to farming the few acres he has.
    At least in this case(if I'm reading it right), the farm is being sold to divvy up between however many siblings. Right thing to do if there's no want in farming it within the family.

Tis often the nature of farming families that no one is good enough.

Head wrecking **** it was to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Anniepower

Mighty to build up such a holding any idea on the background of it just out of curiosity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Danzy wrote: »
    Tis often the nature of farming families that no one is good enough.

Head wrecking **** it was to listen to.

You have to like/love farming. That is all that is required. Everything else will sort itself out if that’s your starting point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

It’s a shame to see a farm like that for sale especially when there are potential successors.... would the farmer be better to lease it out for 10-15yrs first and then if no successor was forthcoming put it up for sale.... 800acres @200/acre there would b an income of 160000 per annum.... surely this would b a better option than ending it all in a month or so time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Gods Gift wrote: »
    The 1000 acre one for sale in Offaly. All in one block.

Thats mad. Drove passed it yesterday and actually thought I had misread the sign.

I think the last thing anyone should b thinking about is what it would cost to buy it.... if a farmer has a plan for a place like that the cost of buying it wouldn’t matter.... he’ll pay for it eventually... as long as a good plan is in place....

Banks would only be delighted to back a guy/girl/consortium to make a purchase... it Is good farmland and they are not making anymore of it...

My mother in law was telling me there was a farm near where she grew up for sale when she was 10 yrs old.... 65 yrs ago... over 100 acres sold for 10,000 pounds.... the area thought the people who purchased it were mad.... my father bought good land for a small bit more than 2000 pounds per acre over 30yrs ago... same land now would make 20000/acre.... a relation of mine bought land bounding him 20yrs ago for 13-14000/acre.... sure he was mad.. insane etc etc... same land now would make 20000/acre... the day you buy is the best day..... it’s land... it’ll never depreciate in value.... and it will always have the potential of making a few pound out of it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Not having a go at you awaywithyou but it's that mentality that has people in suits giving the lowest possible price for farm produce, calling it a commodity and knowing they can get away with it because of the desire to farm at all costs.

Fair play to the seller. We don't know the circumstances. €10 or €11 million is a nice start or retirement for somebody.
    They can hold their head high.
    I'd take the €10 million over the farm any day of the week.

There's a whole nother world out their folks beyond those four ditches..

Edit: and for a little near enough context. In 2007 Bert Allen sold Bewleys for €570m. People at the time said he was crazy for selling such a good business.
    We all know what happened next..

And actually how the Allen brothers started out in life. They started by selling the family farm.

Probably should finish with they also sold their remaining stake in Slaney foods last year to Larry Goodman for €250 million.

And it all started with them being reared on a dairy farm in Wexford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

How many ewes would it feed?:)

Not having a go at you awaywithyou but it's that mentality that has people in suits giving the lowest possible price for farm produce, calling it a commodity and knowing they can get away with it because of the desire to farm at all costs.

Fair play to the seller. We don't know the circumstances. €10 or €11 million is a nice start or retirement for somebody.
    They can hold their head high.
    I'd take the €10 million over the farm any day of the week.

There's a whole nother world out their folks beyond those four ditches..

Edit: and for a little near enough context. In 2007 Bert Allen sold Bewleys for €570m. People at the time said he was crazy for selling such a good business.
    We all know what happened next..

So u think the end of farming is nigh?? Farming has been around since time began... and will be around long after iPhone’s and iPads are forgotten about... and while we are only being paid enough to survive we are still being paid as the food we produce is wanted and will always always be wanted.....

There sure is a whole world outside the farmgate my friend.... and I saw plenty of it when I was in my twenties.. this time 13 yrs ago I was swanning around Australia for the summer... the following summer in Asia... actually when I was in Australia we were in Alice Springs... and there was like a big fair day on in the town.... That night in the pub I was doing my best to impress a lady who told me she came from a farm... many acres I asked... about 100,000 acres she said.. is that all says I....

I’d rather the land over the 10 million any day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I think the last thing anyone should b thinking about is what it would cost to buy it.... if a farmer has a plan for a place like that the cost of buying it wouldn’t matter.... he’ll pay for it eventually... as long as a good plan is in place....

Banks would only be delighted to back a guy/girl/consortium to make a purchase... it Is good farmland and they are not making anymore of it...

My mother in law was telling me there was a farm near where she grew up for sale when she was 10 yrs old.... 65 yrs ago... over 100 acres sold for 10,000 pounds.... the area thought the people who purchased it were mad.... my father bought good land for a small bit more than 2000 pounds per acre over 30yrs ago... same land now would make 20000/acre.... a relation of mine bought land bounding him 20yrs ago for 13-14000/acre.... sure he was mad.. insane etc etc... same land now would make 20000/acre... the day you buy is the best day..... it’s land... it’ll never depreciate in value.... and it will always have the potential of making a few pound out of it....

I bought land in 2011 for 7k an acre. Be lucky to get 6k an acre for it now going by the last land that was sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yeah , mostly in tillage, all wheat, over 200ac in forestry. They run a flock of sheep too. No cattle there this few years. There used to be a good herd of suckler cows.
    All grain handling and drying facilities there. The take in a lot of grain locally ( for Drummonds) .
    It's ran by the owner and 4 employees ( that I can think of! ) .

They used to live in kilcormac, my father in law bought their farm there about 1940 - 45.

So u think the end of farming is nigh?? Farming has been around since time began... and will be around long after iPhone’s and iPads are forgotten about... and while we are only being paid enough to survive we are still being paid as the food we produce is wanted and will always always be wanted.....

There sure is a whole world outside the farmgate my friend.... and I saw plenty of it when I was in my twenties.. this time 13 yrs ago I was swanning around Australia for the summer... the following summer in Asia... actually when I was in Australia we were in Alice Springs... and there was like a big fair day on in the town.... That night in the pub I was doing my best to impress a lady who told me she came from a farm... many acres I asked... about 100,000 acres she said.. is that all says I....

I’d rather the land over the 10 million any day
    There's people sold land pre bust for €50k/acre.
    Some of those bought back in later for €10k/acre.

Farming is a business. The same as another. You buy cheap and sell dear.

We're all wired differently. It's cash that makes the world and seeing the opportunities and pitfalls that others can't see.

It's business.

Ego is futile. Even worse, people take advantage of that in people and make them their business.

You're just a traditional farmer AWY. ;)

• Advertisement

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I bought land in 2011 for 7k an acre. Be lucky to get 6k an acre for it now going by the last land that was sold.

The Kerry shares have distorted land values here in Kerry where good land is at a premium... the good land would b at a premium anyway but the Kerry shares have made it worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

This reminds me of the story of the Yank in the pub chatting to Paddy in the corner. "What do you do Paddy?" "I'm a farmer" - says Paddy.
    "Really, I'm a farmer too. how big is your farm?"
    "Oh, about 30 acres" - says Paddy

"30 acres, my farm is so big when I sit up on my tractor it takes me a whole day to get from one end to the other"

"God" says Paddy "I'd a tractor like that and I had to get rid of it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

He stopped the 5 in row.
    Yeah, Darby Decor. Around where Groome's butchers is in the square.

Dunno how i got that wrong :p. middle of the town is almost deserted now compared to say early 00's. i saw the other day theres plans to knock the old tesco and build a park?. Pay parking really was the nail in the coffin in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

How many ewes would it feed?:)

At 4 ewes to the acre taking out forestry about 3.5k of them. A lot of woolley's there.

Slava Ukrainii

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

At 4 ewes to the acre taking out forestry about 3.5k of them. A lot of woolley's there.

And goin by the sheep men around here, about 5000 pallets to fence the holes in the boundary ditch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Grueller

Cavanjack wrote: »

I also bought in 2011. Same price as yourself but it would handy make 12 - 14k an acre now judging by the last parcel sold in the area.

I bought some land a few years ago. A few smart comments that I paid too much for it. That was until a parcel up the road was sold 2 years later. The amount the guy spent fencing it was equal to what I paid for mine and only about 1.5 times the size.
    That put an end to the smart comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I bought some land a few years ago. A few smart comments that I paid too much for it. That was until a parcel up the road was sold 2 years later. The amount the guy spent fencing it was equal to what I paid for mine and only about 1.5 times the size.
    That put an end to the smart comments.

Just checking to see have we the same smart people down here that pass these smart comments, Bar stool wariers that never bought or built anything themselves. TBH any good land around here is nearly always snapped up without even being advertised for sale. Still a strong market for land around these parts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

I see a farm sold just before the bust 30k an acre the sons had no interest wanted the money, bank manger convinced them to invest in bank shares over age issue for few years before they got there money.
    U can guess the rest , no land no money .

Land should always be left to the one working it , there’s stories in every parish about land but it will rarely stay or worked in the one family name for numerous generations something always changes to break that cycle beyond anyone’s control .

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

I bought land, outside d ditch.
    D father nearly had a heart attack when I told him d price. I hadn't a penny , sold cattle for deposit. ReMortgaged house and home farm to buy it. Paid more than tillage land in Carlowand kilkenny, d day I signed there was a land sales report in d paper. I was kinda worried and still am, a bit about d bill. I got rid of40 acres leased 8 miles away in favour of the 27 I bought.
    I'd do again tomorrow if I had to. Ive learned that renting land away was an absolute disaster. ( drawing cattle and silage 8 miles in a Massey 188 and 240 , thank heavens about those days are gone
    No rhyme or reason to it other than it was never gona be for sale again In my life
    I'm currently trying to build a war chest ( in cattle again) as the next farm, outside the next ditch, will be for sale in a few years.
    Madness I know.
    One girl wanted a 4 wheel drive, she got it. d young lady wants a horse, and a horse she will get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

There's people sold land pre bust for €50k/acre.
    Some of those bought back in later for €10k/acre.

Farming is a business. The same as another. You buy cheap and sell dear.

We're all wired differently. It's cash that makes the world and seeing the opportunities and pitfalls that others can't see.

It's business.

Ego is futile. Even worse, people take advantage of that in people and make them their business.

You're just a traditional farmer AWY. ;)

Have to agree with you regarding land values, plenty land bought around here for 20-30k an acre in the noughties is that still would only make half the price now.
    I know a man that bid 7k an acre for land in the 70s, sale agreed but fell through due to the bank strike. Same land worth about 15k an acre now a lifetime later (he bought another farm a few years after for a fraction of it, and coped with the 15-20% interest rates of the 80s).
    A lot of people forget about the price because its easier, head's down arse up paying for it then. There''s often land to be for at value if one is anyway fortunate over a 10,year period.

Have to agree with you regarding land values, plenty land bought around here for 20-30k an acre in the noughties is that still would only make half the price now.
    I know a man that bid 7k an acre for land in the 70s, sale agreed but fell through due to the bank strike. Same land worth about 15k an acre now a lifetime later (he bought another farm a few years after for a fraction of it, and coped with the 15-20% interest rates of the 80s).
    A lot of people forget about the price because its easier, head's down arse up paying for it then. There''s often land to be for at value if one is anyway fortunate over a 10,year period.

The buyers of land tend to have income streams outside of farming. Even the land buying farmers tend to have a partner on big bucks.
    I'd say the way we could be going we're in for a drop again.
    But marry a Guard, school principal or bank manager and you'll be grand. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

the day you buy is the best day..... it’s land... it’ll never depreciate in value.... and it will always have the potential of making a few pound out of it....

As I think I posted here before, I know of a reasonably sized block of land which was sold about 12-15 years ago....zoned high amenity (i.e. no development potential and not near any development) for around 60k an acre.

Around that time, 40k or 50k an acre was not uncommon. Often bid up by fellas who had gotten their own land away for development. That land will have certainly "depreciated" in value should it be sold in my lifetime unless there is another mad bubble.

But some people buy to keep. They don't look on it as a normal investment. Because to many people it's not!

• Advertisement

It looks like one of those large tillage farms you'd see for sale in the UK. Very neat. Not a bit of baling twine or bale netting to be seen anywhere.

That's all well and good until you need a bit in a hurry to tie something up temporarily to finish a job (i.e. it will be tied up and left tied until the twine breaks) :pac:

theguzman wrote: »
    The Government smiling on this one with €600k stamp duty if it makes €10 million.

750k as of last budget.

I wouldn't bet against that going up in the next one with all this corona

750k as of last budget.

I wouldn't bet against that going up in the next one with all this corona

Just have a young trained farmer under 35 as a front for the purchase and it’s 0% stamp duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Gman1987

Just have a young trained farmer under 35 as a front for the purchase and it’s 0% stamp duty.

€70k max relief between stamp duty, stock relief and succession farm partnership

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Don’t see any entitlements with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The buyers of land tend to have income streams outside of farming. Even the land buying farmers tend to have a partner on big bucks.
    I'd say the way we could be going we're in for a drop again.
    But marry a Guard, school principal or bank manager and you'll be grand. :D

Generally if the land bought is paid for by farming it is not the return from purchased land that covers it, it's the combination of the whole lot, existing and new and depending on % the new bit makes up not without significant pressure

Gman1987 wrote: »
    €70k max relief between stamp duty, stock relief and succession farm partnership

You are right, I forgot about the 70k limit.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Generally if the land bought is paid for by farming it is not the return from purchased land that covers it, it's the combination of the whole lot, existing and new and depending on % the new bit makes up not without significant pressure

And not all purchasers are equal.
    If a sole trader buys it. To repay €20,000 principle it requires €41,666 profit.
    (Tax + PRSI + USC ).
    If a company buys it. To repay €20,000 principle it requires €22,857 profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Just a wild guess, but they spent months clearing away stuff to the dump and cleaning up the place.

• Advertisement

Land should always be left to the one working it , there’s stories in every parish about land but it will rarely stay or worked in the one family name for numerous generations something always changes to break that cycle beyond anyone’s control .

There are plenty of lads who worked land until it was left to them and sold a couple of years later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Million dollar (euro) question - If you won the Euro Millions next draw of €130m would you buy it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Base price wrote: »
    Million dollar (euro) question - If you won the Euro Millions next draw of €130m would you buy it?

Oh yes & OH would invest in electric gates to keep everyone out
    Imagine a 1000+ acre playground

That a no brainer, question is if you won 15 million would you buy it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

My mother always prayed my father would never win the lotto cause she'd literally never see him again from the height of work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Ah Bass we all know you’ve your Confirmation money in a creamery can hiding in the garden

• Advertisement

Oh yes & OH would invest in electric gates to keep everyone out
    Imagine a 1000+ acre playground

No f@@k off gates allowed

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    My mother always prayed my father would never win the lotto cause she'd literally never see him again from the height of work!

I wouldn't take the farm for free.

No, too far from home. I’d buy every inch of land for sale within 15 or 20 mins of home though if I won the 130m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Is it really a no brainer. TBH I would be out over faced with that much land, out of my depth and lacking the necessary skills/knowledge to farm it properly. I'd end up paying every tom, dick and harry to work/manage it for me with the end result of loosing money on the investment.
    I know two individuals (not farmers) who made big money in the eighties/noughties through sheer hard work. They both invested in land (estates/large farms) in the Leinster counties, one more so than the other and employed farm managers to look after their various estates type farms.
    As of today, one was declared bankrupt a few years ago and the other has been actively selling various estates/farms over the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Be very tempting, but id be looking at a corner of Auatralia, Tasmania and New Zealand where i have worked in the past but the biggest problem like here is getting good skilled labour. Serious growth opportunities in those areas as well as climate challenges as well.
    Tasmania is still the last frontier where virgin ground can be bought easily enough and converted to pasture. Was at a small ag show there and lads were talking about a 700 acre block coming up beside them and how it would be mad to pay $7000/acre/hectare not sure which it was but it just sounded like a lad over here wondering if he should buy 7 acres beside him. Northern Canada could be looked at also for broadacre cropping and livestock farming that will be the next frontier by the looks of the way the climate is changing.

However i reckon a fleet of truck and dogs, diggers and a pipefitting rig out and heading for Melbourne would be more fun.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement