Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday/Friday: Lightning Storms, Flash Flooding Event Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Rain and T&L seems to have eased off near Bray. Much longer between dimmer flashes seen through my attic Velux windows.

If that was it, it was short but sweet...and I over reacted by unplugging all my expensive electronic equipment....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Long, loud rumble now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Some crazy lightning and thunder in Dun Laoghaire. Nearly opened my front door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Whoa huge fork and thunder to east of Dublin, though lightningmaps.org only shows a hit around city centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Bright flash and 10 second roll of thunder near D13...getting close to the Northside!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Wife just woke me to tell me, the same wife who always takes the piss out of me about my interest in weather :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Round two seems to be starting up here. Just sounded like the earth exploded with purple flashes.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lil_gypsy

Thunder getting very loud in D4..flashes more frequent Aswell! This is great craic lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lil_gypsy

Thunder getting very loud in D4..flashes more frequent Aswell! This is great craic lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Absolutely stunningly :D

Love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Rougies

Pretty much dead in Dublin now.

Meanwhile the NW of the country is exploding into action!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Biblical rain here near Tuam, woke me up (that takes some doing). Few flashes and rumbles too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

The calmness here now. Eerie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,897 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rougies wrote: »
    Pretty much dead in Dublin now.

Meanwhile the NW of the country is exploding into action!

Only a small amount in the North of Donegal, and nothing violent at all.

But Derry seems to be getting some quality fireworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭chris2007

By the lucks of the radar theres more to come for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Heavy rain and a distant flash now in D14

Edit: Seems to have been just a burst of rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Woke up about 20 mins ago with long deep rumbles of thunder here in North county Dublin. Seems to have stopped now but radar suggests more incoming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

chris2007 wrote: »
    By the lucks of the radar theres more to come for Dublin
    Yeah, the apparent progression on met.ie suggests that to me, but surprised how quiet it is now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I've been looking out my window for the past while and saw flashes over Bray direction but a tree was partially blocking my view. Got dressed and walked up the road for a better view and not one ****ing flash since I got here! Standing here like a spare tool. Looks to have been nice for Wicklow and south Dublin alright. Again nothing for my area.

Any activity in the west is too far from me to see. Too much "lightening" at this stage anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Right, off to bed for me. :)

Chuffed with that. Was worth it for the last couple of hours.

Just a pity some of the activity was lessened by the track over Wicklow, but can't complain

(South wicklow and east wexford got mauled)

Nah. THe older the strike it goes from red to orange to yellow. On the progression you can see all thouse strikes are not moving and a changing colour from red to orange to yellow indicating they are old strikes. Very few new strikes appearing anywhere in Wicklow. Haven't seen any in Bray for 30 minuts or more now. Plus its getting bright now.

Looks like we had our short sharp fun but its pretty much over now tbh.

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Biblical rain here near Tuam, woke me up (that takes some doing). Few flashes and rumbles too.
    No rain at all from that here in town. Passed over quick. :rolleyes:

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Died down here in south Dublin too, back to bed I go..... fun while it lasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Constant thunder in north east Galway. Dunmore / Glenamady area sparking up nearby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭vickers209

had Died off here in ashford co wicklow but back again constant flashes and heavy rain again now

Constant thunder in north east Galway. Dunmore / Glenamady area sparking up nearby

Can hear the long rumbles from here. Sounds like the Germans have moved in.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ollie103

Nothing in Malahide so is it ‘stuck’ over South Dublin (mountains?). The rain system is moving north but no light-show...

Might have spoke too soon about it all being over in Bray. More Flashes and rumbles of thunder and evidence of same on Lightningmaps. Not lighting up my bedroom so dramatically now though obviously as its getting bright out.

• Advertisement

Haha. Big flash and Rumble there. Looking at Lightningmaps it looks like one of the Trees on Lord Meaths Estate in Kilruddery just off the Greystones road just bit the dust

Advertisement