Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday/Friday: Lightning Storms, Flash Flooding Event Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I think I heard a faint rumble in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

OUCH!! Looks like someones house in Redford Park in Greystones just got hit on Lightning maps!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Waiting waiting in d5

• Administrators Posts: 54,065 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Calibos wrote: »
    OUCH!! Looks like someones house in Redford Park in Greystones just got hit on Lightning maps!

Is that map super accurate?

In that area and a few of the recent rumbles have genuinely sounded like a bomb going off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Can that happen?

There has been at least two monumental peals directly overhead in Greystones in the past hour alright. Incredible noise out of them, and simultaneous with the lightning.

Every time the rain dies down, it seems to build again too

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

As usual with weather “phenomenon” that are forecasted in Ireland. This was another damp squib.

They told us it would be one to remember and I had to double check it wasn’t a few farts cracked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Louder than ever in Greystones now. Haven't seen a thunder storm last this long before, over 2 hours now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭adam240610

I saw that flash, second strike almost directly overhead

Think I can hear distant thunder!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭adam240610

This has been the best thunderstorm in Greystones in living memory anyways, starting work in two hours though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Pretty much done here but the amount of lightning I am watching currently to my north east is amazing, even in the early daylight. Just constant strobing in the distant clouds.

New Moon

Strike detected in Ringsend, Dublin.

I heard a faint rumble in Clondalkin

Anyone looking out towards coast of clontarf? Any strikes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I’m out in Howth head overlooking the city. Feck all happening now. A few distant rumbles every 10 mins or so. ðŸ˜

Rumble of thunder a moment ago in Clondalkin. A little louder this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

...and just as I’m about to leave there is a big bolt shot across the sky over the bay. Sky is clearing to the west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Massive flash over Dublin coming in on M4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

And another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

So close to me here in Galway, but yet so far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Well done to those who caught a rumble or two. But 1985 remains untouched, and this event should not be mentioned alongside it again.

• Advertisement

Well done to those who caught a rumble or two. But 1985 remains untouched, and this event should not be mentioned alongside it again.

I think disappointment was inevitable from last night onwards.

That's some monster North of Tuam! Is it still active?

That's some monster North of Tuam! Is it still active?

Looks like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Up yours Isle of Man!!
    T+L.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Was great to see it especially when it was still dark earlier but not only does it not rival 1985, it didn't rival one 2 or 3 years ago that hit North Wexford and South Wicklow real bad. I remember watching out the Velux and there where multiple forks arcing across the sky simultaneously non stop for an hour or so IIRC. Seem to recall some Doozies in the late 90's early 2000's aswell.

That said, we get a decent lightning show so rarely, anything is good. Yes the sFerics or whatever they are called didn't deliver a 1985 rival that was potentially on the cards but at least after expecting nothing given the forcasts earlier in the dayh, we did in fact get 'something'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

So close to me here in Galway, but yet so far...
    Booming away again here but this latest round showers always running up just to the east of me. The occasional flashes are now orange in colour.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Looks like it

I'm just to the west of it. Not as many flashes now but still going. Was mental til about 10 mins ago. Had torrential rain and hailstones from it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

It's all kicking off in Sligo, bucketing down and constant lighting now.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Booming away again here but this latest round showers always running up just to the east of me. The occasional flashes are now orange in colour.

Normally I would be able to see the cloud tops from here but it's very overcast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭spookwoman

No thunder or lightning here in waterford but did manage to get kelvin helmholtz clouds coming in off the sea
    517813.jpg

Advertisement