Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday/Friday: Lightning Storms, Flash Flooding Event Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Non stop thunder and lightning Sligo

See blob on satellite and met readings

16mm of rain since it started

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

That storm up over east Mayo/Roscommon and Sligo currently looks impressive on satellite.

Qg1T4UW.png

Casting a shadow all the way over Co. Mayo and Connemara.

New Moon

Normally I would be able to see the cloud tops from here but it's very overcast

Pretty much same here. This low level overhang over us seems to be feeding those storms to the north of us.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    That storm up over east Mayo/Roscommon and Sligo currently looks impressive on satellite.

Qg1T4UW.png

Casting a shadow all the way over Co. Mayo and Connemara.[/quo I was under it started around 2 45 constant thunder and lightning..still going in the distance...I have video off when it started but Wi-Fi is down and moblie data won't upload ..Best storm I seen in year's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Is it over????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

My station recorded nearly 20mm rain during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Slept like a log all night. Just woke up to a few rumbles.

Anyone know what times were the flashes I could check the CCTV I am in north Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

stevek93 wrote: »
    Anyone know what times were the flashes I could check the CCTV I am in north Dublin.

Could be seen in Dublin 15 from approx 4:20am, lasted about 20-25 mins if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Pistachio19

Will it ever end? The house is practically shaking here in Nth Sligo. Woke up to it at 3.16am and got an hour sleep from 5.30-6.30 when I thought it had stopped. But it's as bad again since. It's brutal.

• Advertisement

wowzer wrote: »
    Could be seen in Dublin 15 from approx 4:20am, lasted about 20-25 mins if that helps.

Let me chck if I find something Ill post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Will it ever end? The house is practically shaking here in Nth Sligo. Woke up to it at 3.16am and got an hour sleep from 5.30-6.30 when I thought it had stopped. But it's as bad again since. It's brutal.

I’m so jealous. I’d book a hotel break in Sligo if I could be guaranteed a good thunder storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Storm still seems to be a good distance from Letterkenny but the thunder is as loud as I've heard in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 owen3371

6 hrs too late for me though I spotted a nice c-g when going in to work,,aahh well maybe next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Still going on, coming up from around Tubber through Coolaney/Lough Gill.
    Been constant since I woke around half five.
    Sky hasn't even got that dark around us, grey and on the ground, some amount of rain.

I visited the Netherlands last year and oh boy do they get a good storm! I was staying in a place called scheendijk I popped into the town to get lunch and do a bit of shopping, cycling back to our caravan it was about 15 minute cycle with open fields either side proper countryside here no big city there was lighting lashing the ground either side of me! To be honest I was sh*tting myself. Got back to the caravan the thing was hopping with the claps of thunder and the rain. It last over an hour nonstop flashes and bangs there was no pause or let up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Flash flooding, Thunderstorm for past hour here in Donegal. Some great bangs! Just got the power back too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Pangea wrote: »
    Flash flooding, Thunderstorm for past hour here in Donegal. Some great bangs! Just got the power back too
    In Letterkenny so hopefully on it's way here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

a sprinkling of rain in North Dublin last night - muggy night though and the sun out again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

The thunder drought continues for Offaly anyway, it's been years now since we had a good thunderstorm, other than a flash or two of lightning. They seem to be rarer these days, though that's purely my theory and the stats may disprove.

• Advertisement

Apologies for poor picture quality but a quick clip of the back end of that flashy shower that passed through here beforehand.

https://streamable.com/n5twcf

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

I recorded 17.1 mm between 5 and 6am, confirmed by my old 'analogue' pluviometre at ground level in the garden (Westport area). Must have been 'it', but sadly I slept deeply and missed the show :o

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭melmoth77

Lightning from Dublin 12 early this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

Probably one of the best thunderstorms I have seen in Ireland last night in Wexford. Got some initial but very loud clashes at about 10pm. Then woken up at 3am for a spectacular show which lasted well over an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Apologies for poor picture quality but a quick clip of the back end of that flashy shower that passed through here beforehand.

https://streamable.com/n5twcf

What did I tell ya about the Arome ;)

Decent storm here in Donegal this morning, flash and rumble every 30 seconds or so for the past hour with some nice loud crashes, I suspect there'd be a lot more flashes visible if it was still dark. Nothing memorable but not a bad effort by Donegal standards, living in Australia and South East Asia for a few years has forever ruined Irish thunderstorms for me though I think :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

melmoth77 wrote: »
    Lightning from Dublin 12 early this morning

Great capture!

What did I tell ya about the Arome ;)

Decent storm here in Donegal this morning, flash and rumble every 30 seconds or so for the past hour with some nice loud crashes, I suspect there'd be a lot more flashes visible if it was still dark. Nothing memorable but not a bad effort by Donegal standards, living in Australia and South East Asia for a few years has forever ruined Irish thunderstorms for me though I think :(

I only looked at one run from it the night before to be honest :o and am still confused as to how they even developed this far west. But the ECM which I looked at regularly was more correct about last night's and this morning's potential from runs 2 days ago that it was in the more recent ones. Funny how that works.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Recorded 13.5mm here in Arklow mostly in a half hour with a peak rate of 120mm/hr
    The 2nd Storm went on for over 2 hours and cut the power over a wide area
    It's back here but still out in loads of places
    The lightning was intense and frequent as was the noise

• Registered Users Posts: 23,752 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Recorded 13.5mm here in Arklow mostly in a half hour with a peak rate of 120mm/hr
    The 2nd Storm went on for over 2 hours and cut the power over a wide area
    It's back here but still out in loads of places
    The lightning was intense and frequent as was the noise

You guys definitely the big 'winners' last night along with north Connaught, west Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

General consensus in Sligo is that that was the worst (best) thunderstorm in years, certainly in the 24 years I've been here, I've never seen the like.

Manhole covers were lifted from overflow, many streets impassable and about 3 hours of a spectacular light show.

https://twitter.com/FitzoSligo/status/1276388515656368128?s=19

Advertisement