Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday/Friday: Lightning Storms, Flash Flooding Event Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Supfsingly woke by an hour of thunder and lightning at 3am in south mayo !

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I only looked at one run from it the night before to be honest :o and am still confused as to how they even developed this far west. But the ECM which I looked at regularly was more correct about last night's and this morning's potential from runs 2 days ago that it was in the more recent ones. Funny how that works.

The 7 day forecast rain map development posted by met Eireann yesterday morning was spot on in anticipating where storm conditions would develop. That intense area up through the north west in the early hours and some minor activity off east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Not a whimper nor a drop of rain in Cork ( Carrigaline ) throughout this event yesterday, today. Just overcast and very muggy warm yesterday. Today just overcast and a little cooler. Nothing else to report, no excitement whatsoever.

Looks like the famous Cork Weather shield has held up again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

If I was to rate last night's event and this morning's event, I'd give it a 5 or 6, solely because occurred during the night time. I recall a fairly similar night back in either 2003 or 2004 (late July or August I think) that was was far more spectacular (for here anyway) and while lightning was strobey and frequent last night at times, it wasn't a patch on the day time storm we had a couple of years back during a hot June afternoon (forget the date but sometime before the onset of the drought)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

If I was to rate last night's event and this morning's event, I'd give it a 5 or 6, solely because occurred during the night time. I recall a fairly similar night back in either 2003 or 2004 (late July or August I think) that was was far more spectacular (for here anyway) and while lightning was strobey and frequent last night at times, it wasn't a patch on the day time storm we had a couple of years back during a hot June afternoon (forget the date but sometime before the onset of the drought)

8 June 2018?

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    8 June 2018?
    Sounds about right Syran. Struggling to remember dates lately.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Heat and humidity building quickly again this morning. UKMO hinting of possible thunderstorms in the Midlands and North Midlands this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

very violent storm over Greystones last night, we were awake for several hours, and it set off our car alarm. On a number of occasions the T&L were simultaneous, and the rain was like a monsoon. Certainly the biggest thunderstorm here for several years.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

So jealous.
    It was a complete washout here with naught but a single roll of thunder at quite some distance around 3am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Registered Users Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

pad199207 wrote: »

Wouldn't have wanted to be under that storm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Rain up to 99mm for month now.

There was 39mm of rain last night from thunderstorm Sligo town

Markree only got 5.8mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

The storm passed directly over our house in South Wicklow last night and it was honestly scary. Definitely a good 30 mins of hammering rain and really intense thunder and lightning all happening simultaneously. I had to hit the trip switch myself because lights and appliances were going on and off of their own accord. Definitely the most intense Irish thunderstorm I've ever experienced. Forks of lightning were striking the ground all around us and the thunder was so strong you could nearly feel it inside you. A scary but amazing experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Was awoken in Castlebar last night around 04.30 and not by thunder but the loudest rain I have ever heard here, the front dumped close to 10mm in about a half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

Heavy black clouds building to the east of Sligo town again here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

That Wicklow storm developed from a shot of CAPE coming off SW Wales as low-level flow was from just enough of an easterly component to line it up. Up to 1200 J/kg MUCAPE materialised in the end, and the sounding from right in the centre of that highest CAPE east of Gorey shows the most unstable layer around 900 hPa. So Wales lent a nice hand in generating the lift required, so Mortelaro, you know who to thank.

Also shown is up to 800 J/kg MUCAPE in the mid-west, it too coming from around the 900 hPa level. The upper trough in the end did cool lapse rates just enough to tip the balance and allow this CAPE to be released over the terrain.

Outside of these two select locations it was a fairly dissapointing affair, with the strong cap wasting all of those high dewpoints and preventing surface-based storms from forming yesterday afternoon/evening. We might see some surface-bases storms form in north Leinster/north midlands this afternoon and move into Ulster, but behind that it looks a lot more stable.

517829.png

517835.png

517830.png

517831.gif

517832.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Co Waterford Wednesday night
    FHmLKDM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Fitzo123 wrote: »
    Heavy black clouds building to the east of Sligo town again here.

Nothing showing on the radar of note maybe later on http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Thunderlover

Bitterly disappointing. Gave up watching about 1am when many others did too. Broken sleep and saw a few flickers after 3am and thought this is it. Nothing. Some rain for about 10 minutes. Near Enniskerry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Bitterly disappointing. Gave up watching about 1am when many others did too. Broken sleep and saw a few flickers after 3am and thought this is it. Nothing. Some rain for about 10 minutes. Near Enniskerry.

same experience here stayed up till about 3am and just as it was about to turn brighter saw a few faint flashes and went to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Really I’m only up the road in glencullen and there was a good hour and an half of thunder lightning and heavy rain it was class

• Registered Users Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That storm up over east Mayo/Roscommon and Sligo currently looks impressive on satellite.

Casting a shadow all the way over Co. Mayo and Connemara.

It was the best storm I've seen in years! I hope I don't have to wait another 20 years for a decent thunderstorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭barneyrub

Will it ever end? The house is practically shaking here in Nth Sligo. Woke up to it at 3.16am and got an hour sleep from 5.30-6.30 when I thought it had stopped. But it's as bad again since. It's brutal.

I was woken at 6 with the noise of the thunder. Rain was torrential. But our house was shaking with the thunder. So loud! I fell back asleep sometime around 7 but it was still going

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I saw about 6 flashes of lighting and ended up with a hangover this morning.

It was the best storm I've seen in years! I hope I don't have to wait another 20 years for a decent thunderstorm.

There was one particular bang of thunder here around 4.20am that sounded unnatural (certainly I never heard the likes before) that I can only only describe as multiple cannons being set off at once. Prompted the goose bumps to stand on full alert.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Last night was a no-show for Dublin pretty much bar the odd isolated crack, however, is there better hope today even though there is no expectation. I can't help notice very active convection over Dublin at the moment, skies darkening quite a bit, with some big fluffy clouds shooting up!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Last night was a no-show for Dublin pretty much bar the odd isolated crack, however, is there better hope today even though there is no expectation. I can't help notice very active convection over Dublin at the moment, skies darkening quite a bit, with some big fluffy clouds shooting up!

Yes definitely getting cloudier here in North Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

Photos aren’t the best, just taken from a video on my phone, but there’s some nice lightning in them so thought I’d share. Saw a great show over the Dublin mountains from Dublin 8 (looking south west; the storm was a bit more to the east) and there were a few incredible rolls of thunder, almost constant rolling thunder for a while as it approached. Didn’t quite make for much in D8 though, the loudest thing was mostly the feckin seagulls!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Nice little convergence line setting up from Dublin northwestwards.

517852.gif

Advertisement