Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday/Friday: Lightning Storms, Flash Flooding Event Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

I'm guessing south Kilkenny got no lightening last night or I just slept through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gamma Flash

sweet_trip wrote: »
    I'm guessing south Kilkenny got no lightening last night or I just slept through it.

Not a thing, a few towers shot up to west near galtee mts but dissipated just as quick, that was about 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Nice little convergence line setting up from Dublin northwestwards.

Not sure if it's connected but in North Central Kildare, near the Meath bother, I've had virtually unbroken sunshine for several hours now. Clouds nearby in all directions but the clouds approaching from the south dissipate a kilometer or two before they reach my location. Really is a smashing afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    There was one particular bang of thunder here around 4.20am that sounded unnatural (certainly I never heard the likes before) that I can only only describe as multiple cannons being set off at once. Prompted the goose bumps to stand on full alert.

Did it sound like what an earthquake might sound like? Because that's what some of it sounded like over here in SE Wicklow
    I must say last nights ECMWF your comment on the earlier ones mean and WC's were pretty accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Just started pissing rain in North Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I went to sleep at 6am. Nothing but distant rumbles at that stage (Clondalkin). Don't think there was anything more exciting than that. Glad it turn out so well for some though, some of the pictures are amazing.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Did it sound like what an earthquake might sound like? Because that's what some of it sounded like over here in SE Wicklow
    I must say last nights ECMWF your comment on the earlier ones mean and WC's were pretty accurate

Not sure what an earthquake sounds like but a few of the thunder rumbles in north wicklow were incredible.

Like a bomb exploding nearby.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Decent looking storm now west of Omagh and some strikes in Donegal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Caught a few forks on my GoPro pointed out my bedroom window last night:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Thunderlover

catrat12 wrote: »
    Really I’m only up the road in glencullen and there was a good hour and an half of thunder lightning and heavy rain it was class

Maybe I slept through it😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Thunder warning for Donegal

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Thunderstorms for a times this afternoon with localised heavy downpours.

Due to the localised nature of thunderstorms, many areas will remain dry.

Valid: 15:00 Friday 26/06/2020 to 19:00 Friday 26/06/2020

Issued: 15:00 Friday 26/06/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Dublin bay (pic irish mirror)
    UrVobqM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

I can hear plenty of distant thunder from that cell moving up by Granard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

sweet_trip wrote: »

There was widespread lightening after sunrise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Light show last night began at 2.50am. Lasted about 40 minutes or so. It passed to the south of us.
    Two lighting shows in a week, I'm getting spoilt.
    Thunder rumbling at the moment.

Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    There was one particular bang of thunder here around 4.20am that sounded unnatural (certainly I never heard the likes before) that I can only only describe as multiple cannons being set off at once. Prompted the goose bumps to stand on full alert.

Yeah it wasnt the usual rumble or clather of thunder, sounded like someone belly flopped against the garage door!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,529 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

lolie wrote: »
    Thats an old image not from last night, might not even from Dublin bay.
    Also looks very heavily edited.

heavily edited! is any of it even real!

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    heavily edited! is any of it even real!

You'd wonder alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Even though we had major thunderstorms last night in Sligo and rain that required fire brigade intervention due to copious amounts, the lightning was more flashes than forks this time bar a few times.

So what causes lightning flashes and what causes lightning forks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

pauldry wrote: »
    Even though we had major thunderstorms last night in Sligo and rain that required fire brigade intervention due to copious amounts, the lightning was more flashes than forks this time bar a few times.

I'm not sure but I heard that just because you don't see the fork does not mean there is not one but is not visible just the flash

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very slow to get going last night, in the end got a decent enough amount in the SE and along the coast in the E up as far as Dublin and then over to the mid west and NW and continuing up to this afternoon and still a few sparks in Northern counties.

From the charts and the information available I would have expected more but we got what we got. A good case study to ponder over to find out what were the missing ingredients .

Big rainfall totals in the NW / N

frxcBOp.png

C998Gf5.png

zFhnvI7.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

pauldry wrote: »

Lightning flashes or sometimes called sheet lightning are the bolts in clouds or behind clouds that create the flash effect.

Good info here on types of lightning :

https://stormhighway.com/types.php

Good info below from 69 WFMZ-TV News on the colour of lightning :

Lightning comes in every color of the rainbow (Red, Yellow, Green, Cyan, Blue, and Violet, to name a few).

It's almost always white, but often it's tinged with another color around the edges.

The three most common colors, aside from white, are blue, yellow, and violet.

The color of the bolt depends on how hot it is; the hotter the lightning, the closer the color will be to the end of the spectrum.

The color spectrum in this case start with infared which is red and the coolest up to ultraviolet which appears violet and is the hottest.

Lightning also can take on a range of colors, depending on conditions in the clouds and in the air.

Typically, blue lightning within a cloud indicates the presence of hail.

Red lightning within a cloud indicates the presence of rain.

Yellow or orange lightning occurs when there is a large concentration of dust in the air.

White lightning is a sign of low humidity or a little amount of moisture in the air.

White is the color of lightning that most often ignites forest fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

UK Met colour surface analysis chart for midnight last night just to keep on record (sadly, they don't keep these particular charts archived for the public)

5co4G9l.gif

And the GFS 'Theta-E' 6 hour analysis + 3 hour forecast since 18z last night:

c7oE23H.gif

(Wetterzentralie)

New Moon

From the charts and the information available I would have expected more but we got what we got. A good case study to ponder over to find out what were the missing ingredients .

Big rainfall totals in the NW / N

png

ng

ng

Might not have been near what was hoped for but reading some of the negative comments here after midnight and then the reports a few hours later it didn't turn out to bad in the end.

More on the way tomorrow, might even see sparks in the SW. Some very heavy showers showing up and getting breezy and windy on the coasts.

Will transfer the post when the convective thread reopens

ECM showing decent CAPE values in Leinster earlier in the day and later in Northern counties. Early afternoon very decent CAPE values in the SW, fair chance of thunderstorms and possibly a few along Southern coasts also.

Lapse rates good, Low level shear good. Deep layer Shear not bad, Lapse rates very good with very cold uppers spreading inland during the day. Bit of a negative tilt on the upper Low, nice vorticity , might see a few funnels.

So, over to us in the SW tomorrow afternoon, we will show you how it is done :D

rnUj3pb.png

lVKknxqENAKV.png

yx1UdwK.png

VuRB9Bl.png

36hPpxd.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Last night was fairly disappointing for Kilkenny
    Best we had was 2 flashes some where near Clough/Castlecomer

I feel like for the last few thunder events Kilkenny has been desperately unlucky not to have any real storms over head.
    Or is there actually more to this?

We have had to look on with envy to our neighbors :o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Here is Met Eireann map of Ireland radar at 6am

Can see why Sligo had such a hit

Advertisement