Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday/Friday: Lightning Storms, Flash Flooding Event Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Selected 1 pm official temperatures/dewpoints.

Custume Barracks (Athlone) 23/16
    Mount Dillon 23/15
    Dunsany 22/18
    Casement, Moore Park 22/17
    Mullingar, Athenry 22/16
    Gurteen 22/15
    Waterford Airport 21/17
    Dublin Airport 21/16
    Johnstown Castle 20/15

Oak Park is not reporting.

Not going to threaten 28 looking at that. 25 or 26 possible in one or two spots perhaps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i'm going for scattered showers and thunderstorms, Ulster may see the bigger showers, particularly those moving up the Irish sea later. Ulster will also hold onto the warmth and humidity for a little bit longer. Thunderstorms possible almost anywhere but I don't think it will be much different than what we saw last week, some people will see storms, not everywhere will get them and places will miss out as is always the case with thunderstorms.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Not going to threaten 28 looking at that. 25 or 26 possible in one or two spots perhaps.

yep temperatures are a few degree's below what I was expecting, I think 25 or 26C will probably be the max here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Met Eireanns model still going for most of it missing the east coast and going through the Midlands and Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,021 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Whats the best app/site for seeing where this is developing etc.

Kerp in mind im a total novice so nothing too complicated

Met eireanns own app has a rain radar on the front page, if you just want to spot cells near you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Kerp in mind im a total novice so nothing too complicated

I'd recommend the Netweather Weather Radar, much clearer to see precipitation than the Met Éireann one and its ambiguous shades of blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It has gone cloudy here in Kilkenny,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

A bit of a change to yesterday's model. All northern parts are now in the highest risk category. Dublin is in with a good chance, but not much in the way of the high risk (red) category. Bad news for the southwest, perhaps? At least for weather folk from that neck of the woods ;)

https://www.facebook.com/740149726003564/posts/3339048606113650/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Gonzo wrote: »
    yep temperatures are a few degree's below what I was expecting, I think 25 or 26C will probably be the max here too.

And I think that could make all the difference with regard to thundery activity and intensity later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The 06Z ECM shows lightning density through Leinster and Ulster only, but the forecast soundings are showing even less MUCAPE than the 00Z run. Just proves that these lightning maps are not reliable.

517708.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Seven Septs

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Jaysus lads, who gives a ****e what happened back in 19-- whatever, there's potential this evening! That's what most of us here want to discuss I'd imagine!

I suppose we're trying to prepare and see what this eve/tonight will be comparable to. 1985 etc are reference points for some of us Boomers:D

Met Eireann were very confident in today being the hottest day of the year i.e. greater than 26.8C, on their evening bulletins yesterday.. interesting how they were so strong on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

An update from Cavan- I can't convey how sapping this heat is! It's just so close! 23 degrees currently with building cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

i'm going for scattered showers and thunderstorms, Ulster may see the bigger showers, particularly those moving up the Irish sea later. Ulster will also hold onto the warmth and humidity for a little bit longer. Thunderstorms possible almost anywhere but I don't think it will be much different than what we saw last week, some people will see storms, not everywhere will get them and places will miss out as is always the case with thunderstorms.

Same as in seeing from looking at the models, one fast moving band of storms late this evening and overnight. Plenty of potential and hopefully a lot of people get a good show but this place seems to go mental with hype every time there's anything slightly out of the ordinary recently

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

This was never going to be a 1985 in my opinion. I would love to be proven wrong, but at the moment it is difficult to establish from the available model data that sort of potential. I must admit I am no expert however, I am having a good laugh at the Facebook page with the purple area for storms!

Currently in Dublin docks, it has gotten warmer in last hour, our weather station on our work site is showing 19.8 C, slight sea breeze. There is no convective cloud visible currently, but a growing haze out over the bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Johnstown 25.3c at present, bit of a fohn effect down off the hill c.330m in this live stream view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKUaaHFhM3s its 2 miles away.

Data: http://laoisweather.com/johnstownkk/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭pad199207

25.2°c in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Keep in mind im a total novice so nothing too complicated

Here's an app I find very useful for showing the location of recent lightning. It gives an audible alarm after a stroke occurs and you can set the detection distance radius as near or as far you like from your home location. Also has rain radar.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrustonapps.mylightningtracker&hl=en_IE

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

This ain't going the way it should be. Temps are not going to hit 27 or 28. The potential intensity of the storms is dropping with each hour. And to rub salt into wounds, Met Eireann now forecasting that it will be hit and miss for many. Such a downturn in fortune. I honestly felt that we had a decent chance. I'm not looking for 1985 but would like to see and hear a decent storm. Not just one flash and a bang, a prolonged deep storm. I'm not getting any younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

This ain't going the way it should be. Temps are not going to hit 27 or 28. The potential intensity of the storms is dropping with each hour. And to rub salt into wounds, Met Eireann now forecasting that it will be hit and miss for many. Such a downturn in fortune. I honestly felt that we had a decent chance. I'm not looking for 1985 but would like to see and hear a decent storm. Not just one flash and a bang, a prolonged deep storm. I'm not getting any younger.

You've no idea what you're talking about clearly, and constantly make blatant attempts to troll people. Of course Met Éireann are forecasting the thunderstorms to be hit and miss, that's the nature of thunderstorms.

I hope you see no thunderstorms!

-- On the plus side, we won't be seeing much more of "Little snowy old me" after the horribly abusive PM they just sent me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There's a skull approaching the southwest :eek:

517712.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

"not getting any younger"

Good lord man it's the chance of a thunderstorm you may be missing out on, not one last visit to the ocean before you die type scenario 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It's a long way to 7pm which is about the cut-off time for temperatures to achieve their maximums in a relatively settled configuration like today.

27c to 28c is the maximum that is likely to be achieved in one or more locations, not widespread.

Met Eireann are forecasting scattered thunderstorms which is the correct language to use when dealing with the country as a whole. Western Munster and Western Connacht are unlikely to see much.

When they forecast scattered showers from an atlantic setup it is always implied that the west and north will bear the brunt of these. Today its the eastern two thirds of Ireland at highest risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Approaching 25 degrees at Phoenix park

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

There's a skull approaching the southwest :eek:

517712.jpg

Maybe its the ghost of 85 returning :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

sryanbruen wrote: »
    For a month as thundery as August 2000, it gets very little mention unfortunately.

A good section on it from the monthly bulletin:

u0Eb7Ch.png

It was Friday 25th August 2000. I remember being at the Bon Jovi concert outdoors at the RDS and we all got drenched with warm rain and the sky was lighting up with lightning flashing and thunder booming. The atmosphere was electric - literally. The weather made the whole concert even better - it's still one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Will never forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭pad199207

26.0°c on the dot in Kildare now

Edit: lads the Dewpoint is 21c 🥵

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

26.4c in North Kildare and still rising. Do you hear that, Little Snowy Old Me?

In 1985 the max daytime temp before the storms kicked off was 23C. You don't need extreme heat.

Arrah go out and enjoy yourself and when you're otherwise engaged you might get hit by lightning. Maybe play crazy golf and you could get hit like Fr. Stone.

A watched pot never boils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Temperatures are not really that important in set ups like this. For example, temps on July 25th 1985 barely scraped 20c and that was only in one or two spots. The average max that day was just 19.3c. Dew points would have been high though, and probably as much as today.

New Moon

Advertisement