Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilcullen - Dublin

• 25-06-2020 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi folks, hope all is well.

I am looking at moving from Dublin to Kildare, possibly Kilcullen. I would be commuting to Dublin (Four Courts) 3 or 4 days per week. Just wondering how long this may take driving or is the bus/train a better option. I work 8 to 4 so could leave house around 6.30am.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Lemonee_ wrote: »
    Hi folks, hope all is well.

I am looking at moving from Dublin to Kildare, possibly Kilcullen. I would be commuting to Dublin (Four Courts) 3 or 4 days per week. Just wondering how long this may take driving or is the bus/train a better option. I work 8 to 4 so could leave house around 6.30am.

Thanks in advance!

Hi

Train means you have to drive to either Kildare or Newbridge. Going by the times you mention, I would drive up to the RedCow & get the Luas in.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lemonee_

Hi

Train means you have to drive to either Kildare or Newbridge. Going by the times you mention, I would drive up to the RedCow & get the Luas in.

Thank you for the quick reply. Parking in the red cow is €80 per month + Luas cost. I currently have a space rented by work for €70 per month. Would it still be easier/quicker to get the luas? Sorry for all the questions, I have never travelled to work from this side of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Getting out of town and on the N7 by car will be your biggest issue IMO. I worked in Grand Canal Dock and would leave by 3pm, in the car by 3.10 and it would still take be about 40 mins to get on N7. Back in Newbridge around 4.30. If you have child care considerations this could be an issue for you. Thats on a good day. If its pissing rain or there's an accident or a protest or something, you're toast.

Once you're on the N7 and past Citywest, you'll zip home these days since the works on the N7/M7 merge have been finished.

I would recommend parking and riding at Citywest. I might take the same time and cost a little more (doubtful when you factor in petrol to town in traffic) but it will be a hell of a lot more consistent.

If you get the train from Newbridge, you'll be walking/biking to the courts. No point in trying to squeeze on the luas IMO for 3 stops. Again more consistent and you should make the 4:30 to Galway train which will get you to Newbridge in 22mins. You should also get a seat if you're out of work on time and down to the station in good time. Its actually really nice to relax on the train for a while after work and not have to battle traffic.

The only way I'd advise diving is if you work 7-3

GavMan wrote: »
    Getting out of town and on the N7 by car will be your biggest issue IMO. I worked in Grand Canal Dock and would leave by 3pm, in the car by 3.10 and it would still take be about 40 mins to get on N7. Back in Newbridge around 4.30. If you have child care considerations this could be an issue for you. Thats on a good day. If its pissing rain or there's an accident or a protest or something, you're toast.

Once you're on the N7 and past Citywest, you'll zip home these days since the works on the N7/M7 merge have been finished.

I would recommend parking and riding at Citywest. I might take the same time and cost a little more (doubtful when you factor in petrol to town in traffic) but it will be a hell of a lot more consistent.

If you get the train from Newbridge, you'll be walking/biking to the courts. No point in trying to squeeze on the luas IMO for 3 stops. Again more consistent and you should make the 4:30 to Galway train which will get you to Newbridge in 22mins. You should also get a seat if you're out of work on time and down to the station in good time. Its actually really nice to relax on the train for a while after work and not have to battle traffic.

The only way I'd advise diving is if you work 7-3

Lemonee, Gavman speaks a LOT of sense here. I forgot about using CW as a P&R. Certainly further away from Dublin, and nearly as easy to get onto the N7 as the RC.

Thanks so much to you both for your advice and assistance. I am going to opt for the P&R at Citywest as its provides a little more flexibility than the train. thanks again to you both!

• Advertisement

Thanks so much to you both for your advice and assistance. I am going to opt for the P&R at Citywest as its provides a little more flexibility than the train. thanks again to you both!

I'm 7/8mins further than Kilcullen and takes me 35mins to get to Tallaght area.
    Now I do leave at 7am so that helps.
    Pre covid it was more like 50/55mins .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Train from Sallins (short hop zone), luas to 4 courts.

Taxsaver ticket from work net cost if you are on the higher tax rate is under €1,000 per year.
    Parking €30/month.

It's a bit of driving, but you won't be worried about the minor accidents that cause hours of delay because the drivers couldn't be arsed to pull into a hard shoulder til gardai arrive.

Thanks everyone for your advice, definitely have some thinking to do and trying out the train or luas option!

Thanks everyone for your advice, definitely have some thinking to do and trying out the train or luas option!

One thing to bear in mind if using the train from Sallins: when all this CVis gone I believe parking spaces are a major problem-see the Naas chat thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Driving can be stressful..... I'm now in year 21 of driving the Naas Rd. Kilcullen to City West is 20 mins but the queues in the morning can slow things down. Tailbacks can be out to Rathcoole at 7am!

The bus options are there too. 6:50am departure or so at the lights, in Dublin with little stress.

Saying that, Kilcullen is a great town!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yeah granted I'm a decade out of the country now but even back then, the road out to Naas was not the most inviting come rush hour - new Red Cow set up or not!

I suppose we'll see how much this WFH lark catches on post-covid, commutes may be a bit better.

A friend has lived in Kilcullen for a few years, he motorbikes it to Tallaght with no complaints. It is a grand little town from what I've seen i.e. the Centra and a couple of pubs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Yep, the biggest delay by far is getting past City West, especially when the sun is low in the sky and blinds everyone at Rathcoole.
    Kilcullen has plenty of choice although the number of houses for sale is low as it has everything most people need (schools, M7/M9, sports clubs and pubs) except a swimming pool but Naas is 10 mins away.

bduffy wrote: »
    Yep, the biggest delay by far is getting past City West, especially when the sun is low in the sky and blinds everyone at Rathcoole.
    Kilcullen has plenty of choice although the number of houses for sale is low as it has everything most people need (schools, M7/M9, sports clubs and pubs) except a swimming pool but Naas is 10 mins away.

Yes, pre CV19 days getting past Citywest was the toughest part, but once past there it's a breeze getting home. Getting to The Ball and increasing speed is a dream come true.

I somehow doubt though that we will see those pre CV19 volumes for a long time now. The numbers of people WFH has increased significantly - judging by the number of neighbours.

Regarding Kilcullen, they also have something we in Newbridge haven't got - decent restaurants.

Advertisement