Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airbnb in holiday areas.

Options
  • 25-06-2020 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭

I know Airbnb is an issue in large cities, but what about places like west Cork should it be controlled in areas like that? if it was to go that far should second homes or holiday homes be controlled as well?

Do they really have a negative effect on the housing market and prevent local buying property.

Comments

mariaalice wrote: »
    I know Airbnb is an issue in large cities, but what about places like west Cork should it be controlled in areas like that? if it was to go that far should second homes or holiday homes be controlled as well?

Do they really have a negative effect on the housing market and prevent local buying property.

I think all whole properties should be controlled by a type of licensing deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I think all whole properties should be controlled by a type of licensing deal.

There is a bit of an illogical dichotomy going in with the locals in places like west Cork or other tourist areas, as other than farming the local economy depends on tourism so there is a need for all sorts of accommodation yet self catreing accommodation or holiday home are strongly disliked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

There is a bit of an illogical dichotomy going in with the locals in places like west Cork or other tourist areas, as other than farming the local economy depends on tourism so there is a need for all sorts of accommodation yet self catreing accommodation or holiday home are strongly disliked.

If you are a local in Kinsale with an average salary you have no chance of buying a decent home in the area
    Holidaymakers snap them up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Holiday homes generate less for the local economy than hotels and B&Bs. Holiday home owners often brig supplies from their own area with them and spend relatively little locally. They have visited all the attractions before and apart from buying some groceries spend next to no money in the holiday area. Tenants of holiday homes are self catering to avoid going to restaurants and again try an economise by bringing supplies with them.The owner of the house may not live locally so the income into the area is small.

In the case of B&B and hotels, there is employment for local people in service, repair and maintenance so more of the spend stays local. I noticed in Cyprus, some years ago, all new tourist developments are hotels rather than apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Holiday homes generate less for the local economy than hotels and B&Bs. Holiday home owners often brig supplies from their own area with them and spend relatively little locally. They have visited all the attractions before and apart from buying some groceries spend next to no money in the holiday area. Tenants of holiday homes are self catering to avoid going to restaurants and again try an economise by bringing supplies with them.The owner of the house may not live locally so the income into the area is small.

In the case of B&B and hotels, there is employment for local people in service, repair and maintenance so more of the spend stays local. I noticed in Cyprus, some years ago, all new tourist developments are hotels rather than apartments.

Not in west Cork restaurants and pubs do very well out of the second home owners, maybe it depends on the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

brisan wrote: »
    If you are a local in Kinsale with an average salary you have no chance of buying a decent home in the area
    Holidaymakers snap them up

If you are a local in Dalkey on an average salary you have no chance of buying a decent home in the area either ... and the same thing applies to all desirable locations throughout the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

C3PO wrote: »
    If you are a local in Dalkey on an average salary you have no chance of buying a decent home in the area either ... and the same thing applies to all desirable locations throughout the country!
    I don't think too many holidaymakers own property in Dalkey
    I would say well over 95% of the properties in Dalkey are owner occupied for the vast majority of the year
    Kinsale is entirely different

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Not in west Cork restaurants and pubs do very well out of the second home owners, maybe it depends on the area.

The holiday home owners might eat out from time to time but are unlikely to do for every meal every day. Hotel guests have to eat out all the time. Some will visit the pubs, others drink at home.

Advertisement