Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with this silly question please?!

• 25-06-2020 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all,

I am due to start a position with a Big 4 firm in September and have just been sent some on-boarding documents to fill in. One of the questions asks me “what percentage of your week would you prefer to work from home, 0-100%?” and (according to their form) this question is being asked with the aim of enabling people to get the right work-life balance. I am not sure what percentage to put down, like I would appreciate being able to work from home every now and then as needed, but, as this is my first job, I would also be looking forward to spending time physically in work (which probably sounds naive of me haha!), however, with the current covid-19 situation, I suppose they want us to be as available as possible to work from home in order to facilitate social distancing in the office. Basically, I don’t really care that much so I’d like my answer to be the easiest option for them to facilitate and I want to appear flexible.

Any insight ye could give me on this would be so appreciated, I know this is such a silly question but I’m just a little bit nervous heading into this Big 4 world (I didn’t do an Big 4 internship either, which doesn’t help haha!)

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Hi all,

I am due to start a position with a Big 4 firm in September and have just been sent some on-boarding documents to fill in. One of the questions asks me “what percentage of your week would you prefer to work from home, 0-100%?” and (according to their form) this question is being asked with the aim of enabling people to get the right work-life balance. I am not sure what percentage to put down, like I would appreciate being able to work from home every now and then as needed, but, as this is my first job, I would also be looking forward to spending time physically in work (which probably sounds naive of me haha!), however, with the current covid-19 situation, I suppose they want us to be as available as possible to work from home in order to facilitate social distancing in the office. Basically, I don’t really care that much so I’d like my answer to be the easiest option for them to facilitate and I want to appear flexible.

Any insight ye could give me on this would be so appreciated, I know this is such a silly question but I’m just a little bit nervous heading into this Big 4 world (I didn’t do an Big 4 internship either, which doesn’t help haha!)

Thanks so much!

If you are working for a big four it is unlikely that you will be in their office very much of the time....

I once spent an entire year living in the Talbot hotel in Wexford!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

As the previous poster said you may be out on site a lot depending on what dept you are in. FS is normally in the office more.

If i were you I would ring the HR dept and talk to them. Normally there are induction programmes. The year i joined we had around 8 weeks in a conference centre for training. Obviously with Covid19 these will probably go online but they will want to make sure the intake gets to know one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭orlaxxx

Also starting big 4 but maybe with a different firm because haven’t gotten any onboarding forms. Perhaps say 50 percent ? Maybe the easiest answer.

Any word on when the intake will be this year for these firms? One of my friends in another firm has gotten a start date for November but we have heard nothing yet and starting to get concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

I'd want to be in work/on site 100% of the time as a new associate. It'll be difficult to pick up what to do remotely and also if you're not well set up with a separate home office it'll just be a nightmare. Remote working for management is fine, for new starts it's far from it.

Advertisement