Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop help

Options
  • 25-06-2020 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Hi all had recently purchased a laptop from Dell for €300 (got on uk site ) to replace an old dell inspiron that was still working great but son spilled drink on it so won’t work. After 2 hours of using new laptop I felt like banging my head Off a wall it was incredibly slow to load everything
    Looking for basic under €400 if possible(I know not to expect miracles at this price ) and 14 inch and up .Something with a bit of storage for books /music and I like to download ,watch online stuff that’s mostly what will be used for
    Just basically looking for something that will not take forever to load and an handle a couple of open pages without collapsing
    This is what I returned to
    dell
    https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/cty/pdp/spd/inspiron-14-3480-laptop/cn38403
    Would
    Appreciate any tech savvy advice to point me in right direction ,Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

If on a budget never buy a new budget laptop. That was your mistake. You'll get a way better system if you buy a second hand one mid-range+ from a few years ago for the same money.

A lot of towns have stores selling older model refurbished laptops, some advertise their stock on adverts.ie, or you could buy from a private seller.

To do that you need a bit of hardware knowledge. Stay away from any that have a Celeron processor like the one your returned. You need one with an Intel Quad Core 2.0Ghz processor, 4GB ram, and a SSD as a general minimum.

If you want to let me know by PM where you are located I'll have a look online in your area for something to fit your needs and budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

AllForIt wrote: »
    If on a budget never buy a new budget laptop. That was your mistake. You'll get a way better system if you buy a second hand one mid-range+ from a few years ago for the same money.

A lot of towns have stores selling older model refurbished laptops, some advertise their stock on adverts.ie, or you could buy from a private seller.

To do that you need a bit of hardware knowledge. Stay away from any that have a Celeron processor like the one your returned. You need one with an Intel Quad Core 2.0Ghz processor, 4GB ram, and a SSD as a general minimum.

If you want to let me know by PM where you are located I'll have a look online in your area for something to fit your needs and budget.

Thanks a mill I really appreciate the advice
    Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I was in the same boat as yourself OP last week and took a chance with a refurbished laptop for €289 with a 3 month warranty from a shop in Dublin that l had used before to fix a phone and am happy with the laptop so far .

I'm sure some would disagree with a second hand laptop but at €289 it isn't a total disaster if the plan went wrong .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Just looked up the one l got ,l know feck all about laptops but it's a
    Dell latitude E5530
    Ram 8GB
    Storage 240GB SSD
    Windows 10
    Office professional plus 2019

If that makes any sense to you .

It is very fast loading stuff .

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I've bought a couple of laptops over the years from a guy on adverts. He's honest and I always question him if they're perfect or not. The two I got were as new but a few years old model and both less than €400. I can pm you the guy if you want. He seems to make a business of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

timetogo1 wrote: »
    I've bought a couple of laptops over the years from a guy on adverts. He's honest and I always question him if they're perfect or not. The two I got were as new but a few years old model and both less than €400. I can pm you the guy if you want. He seems to make a business of it.

That would be great thanks & might be guy I’ve already been in touch with

Advertisement