Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Why do people love hating on monuments we inherited from British rule.

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Odhinn wrote: »
    The 'oh well, it would have somebody else' deflection deserves no better.

Oh, you are back, so tell me, how great a guy Napolean was. Still waiting for your defence of his gassing of 100,000 blacks in Hati....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

markodaly wrote: »
    Oh, you are back, so tell me, how great a guy Napolean was. Still waiting for your defence of his gassing of 100,000 blacks in Hati....

You've me confused me with somebody else, I think.

You've me confused me with somebody else, I think.

No, this is your post, heaping a bunch of praise on him.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113843696&postcount=9

I replied to it, pointing out his obvious flaws and human rights abuses even at that age and time...

and *tumbleweed*...

Its OK. Maybe you didn't know, he ordered the gassing of 100,000 blacks in a slave uprising, now you know better, then to be talking up this dictator.

Now all yous need do,is complete the qs with statue celebrating french in vietnam and belgians in congo??

I gave you an example to prove you wrong. It's Ok to admit you are wrong sometimes, just move on.

So we just have to put up with statues of english and all they done here...and anyone who dare qs it is to be labeled a malcontent??

Which statue in Ireland, today in 2020 you want to be taken down, without some random google. Give it to me straight.

No, this is your post, heaping a bunch of praise on him.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113843696&postcount=9

I replied to it, pointing out his obvious flaws and human rights abuses even at that age and time...

and *tumbleweed*...

Its OK. Maybe you didn't know, he ordered the gassing of 100,000 blacks in a slave uprising, now you know better, then to be talking up this dictator.

That "gas chamber" thing is a discredited nonsense which I've never read in authoritiave works on Napoleon.

I said he had his flaws.

What has the career of napoleon got to do with the activities of the Brits? Other than "look over there - its a squirrel".

• Advertisement

That "gas chamber" thing is a discredited nonsense which I've never read in authoritiave works on Napoleon.

Not at all, it has been widely sourced with multiple collaborated sources. The French would be pissed though. Paris is almost an ode to him, which is odd given his record in conquering Europe and killing millions. So, you can expect 'blowback'
    What has the career of napoleon got to do with the activities of the Brits? Other than "look over there - its a squirrel".

Better ask the person who brought him up, like some benevolent dictator of sorts.

You seems to love him anyway.
    While he had his flaws he was frequently a force for good.

Like how he ordered the recolonisation of Hati, with the cost of up to 500,000 black lives, mostly slaves?

Great guy he was, oh and a slaver to boot!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_20_May_1802

But he fought da Brits, so a good ol'soul deep down. :rolleyes:

Except i asked for 3 different countries colonies....but you seem unable to fully support the qs....but whatever,noone thinks anyone should celebrate their colonizers in this day and age

I am not your personal historian.

Luke kelly ,want removal of ww1 memorial wall,lismore castle and bunratty castle from forgien ownership...also dont think.its right that 1 person can own a river here without living here,afaik its only example in the world....why do we put up with this here??

Jaysus, you make the Taliban look moderate.
    Luke Kelly?
    Xenophonia on ownership of land as well, or do you want these castles turned down.
    WWI memorial is to Irish men who died, but hey, take it down, you are offended! :pac:

These are reminents of english rule (except luke kelly),we dont need them about here,and they offer nothing to the state.....how many millions are we wasting on these "monuments" when our population still hasnt recovered from famine

How much is Lismore castle and Bunratty castle 'costing' the state, exactly?

Not at all, it has been widely sourced with multiple collaborated sources. The French would be pissed though. Paris is almost an ode to him, which is odd given his record in conquering Europe and killing millions. So, you can expect 'blowback'

It has no traction in academia afaik.

You seems to love him anyway.

I'm quoting that, so people get a good idea of the level of discussion here.

I'm quoting that, so people get a good idea of the level of discussion here.

He was 'mostly a force for good', unless he was killing black people and making slavery legal again...

Y

1c is a cent too much,they used have a full attachemnt of detectives for "protextion" during the troubles,lismore attachement from fermoy and we havnt recouped a cent from this....indeed we waste millions on protection every time duke of dev,holidays there or drags prince charles along,we waste even more money and garda time

....if we took these over,we could recoup out costs through sales or turn them into hotels or dirext provision centres for improved standreds for our refugees

You didn't answer the question, how much exactly are those two castles costing the state?

• Advertisement

You didn't answer the question, how much exactly are those two castles costing the state?

A mate of mine (actually a FF member of all things!) sent a FOI request around lismore castle 3 years ago and never got reply.....we also spend money on bridges crossing blackwater and pay for maintenace.of banks of it,about youghal...despite not owning it

Have we recouped the cost of protection during troubles??,i know as of 2003 we didnt,but no record of payment exists since then

Why do we as a country put up with this.....wasting money and resources to appease.the english,while our population is still below famine levels

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MoashoaM

When Cromwell saw our ancestors (the language, the accents, the clothes, dirty masses, catholic faith and were loyal to the wrong crowd) I imagine he felt only disgust.

That's okay, I'm a 21st Century man on the internet who can empathize.
    Feckin' Travellers (Joke)

MoashoaM wrote: »
    When Cromwell saw our ancestors (the language, the accents, the clothes, dirty masses, catholic faith and were loyal to the wrong crowd) I imagine he felt only disgust.

That's okay, I'm a 21st Century man on the internet who can empathize.
    Feckin' Travellers (Joke)

Cromwell couldn’t give a flying ****.

His main concern was the confederates who were siding with Royalists to retake England. Ireland was a threat to the new English Protestant Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MoashoaM

Aegir wrote: »
    Cromwell couldn’t give a flying ****.

His main concern was the confederates who were siding with Royalists to retake England. Ireland was a threat to the new English Protestant Republic.

No you're right, Irish cities were really English towns. One still is hehe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

View wrote: »
    Since the tithe wasn’t based on either, that point is moot.

The tithe was based on sucking money out of the native Irish to fund the colonial religious project.
    View wrote: »
    Are you seriously trying to claim that the government funding denominational schools around the country - as it has done since the 19th Century and continues to do - is “sectarian”? If so, we must be one of the more sectarian countries in the world...

(and that’s leaving aside the question of whether the state funding various sporting bodies is “sectarian” given the predominant religious profile of the players/fans of some of the sports)

Where did I claim any of this?

Advertisement